Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 horse tweeking ?'s
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: 40 horse tweeking ?'s Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Got a couple questions about fine tuning my 40 horse motor now that I have my 019 installed. I've gone through tons of information on these forums about the 019, and nowhere I see does it say it can't be bolted right on and ran with good results. Here's where I stand . . .

I have an otherwise stock 1200 motor in my '65 that is running an 019, stock 28 pict carb, and stock exhaust with a zoom tube. Is there any tuning I should be doing to the carb now that I changed the distributor? I can tell a difference now, but I feel like it could run a bit smoother. Has removing the vacuum system from the old set-up done anything to my carb?

I know my carburetor is in good working order, as is my 019, and I plugged my vacuum port where the line came from the carb when I converted to the 019.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a related situation to help me out? Just making sure I'm not missing anything in the jetting/ tweeking/ adjusting categories haha.

Thanks guys, Ben
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since I'm asking questions, are either of these 40 horse exhausts worth buying over a stock set-up?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=837135
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=904507

thanks again
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to choose a exhaust, I would go for the second, with either you will how ever loose good pre heat for the manifold, which may make cold engine driving worse and your mpg may suffer.

I have a 65 with a stock 40hp I have servicing and tuning, have got 31/32mpg with the stock distributor, and am now testing out a 010, the 010 seems to be giving less asthmatic acceleration but have not got through the first tank of gas to compare mpg yet.

If you have 1965 square boss heads you could add 1600 rockers for 1.1 to 1 ratio rather than 1 to 1.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I've heard good things about the 1.1 to 1 rockers. For now though I'm trying to see what I can do to my 28 pict and 019 working together.

And as far as the headers I posted, don't both have heat risers, and they can be mounted right to the heater boxes, so why would I lose pre heat?

No one else has experience tuning their 40 horse after they installed an 019?
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdgeKid3 wrote:

And as far as the headers I posted, don't both have heat risers, and they can be mounted right to the heater boxes, so why would I lose pre heat?

The stock heat riser system is a bit more complex than the ones on these headers, meaning that, one of the pipes for the heat riser goes all the way into the muffler, into a low pressure zone, thus, creating a better flow into the preheat (as the hot gases pass more quickly and efficient from a high pressure to a low pressure zone ) .
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that makes sense. So there is pre-heat, but it's just not as efficient as the stock system is.

Anyone else on the motor question???
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "tuning" with the 019, you put it on, set up for around 30 degrees full advance, maybe tweek you idle mix and your done.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's all I was asking, is that all that's needed to get the best out of the 019? Just making sure there weren't ay other tweeks that gave optimal performance with this set-up.

Thanks man!
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for anyone who's interested.

I bought the Thunderbird set-up from the classifieds, sandblasted it and painted it up with some POR15 black velvet. It tucks in so nicely behind the apron, looks rad, and sounds great, I couldn't be more pleased with it. And between that and the 019 I recently put on, this motor has never been more fun to drive or ran better. I am so pleased.

I'll get a picture of the muffler and the 019 this weekend when I get a chance, just wanted to share how well that combo did for my otherwise stock 40 horse motor. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: