Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 914 Alloy Wheel Lug Bolts
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Porsche 914 Alloy Wheel Lug Bolts Reply with quote

After looking at all the info here and around on the net. The OG 914 lug bolts are a Ball seat 14mm x 38mm long. 19mm head hex. I found a site with a choice of different size ball seats. R12,R13,R14. Look here:
http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=530
click on the "Apps & Specs" tab.

The chart also lists 4237 is for Porsche.R14 ball. Is this the ball seat size for all Porsche?
What size is the OG 914 ball seat size? It looks like the 4269 would work.14mm x 33mm long,R14 ballseat,19mm head.I'm assuming R14 is for 914.

It looks like these are well made bolts and you won't pay Porsche prices.

Lug Bolt manufactures site:
http://www.radusadirect.com/

Are these are good bolts for the price? I know there is no chrome and the threads go all the way up to the ball seat.

I also know that buying OG would be THE way to go. I'm just looking around for some different options.

Also any of you use wheel locks?Which ones?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: RAD Wheel Hardware Reply with quote

I have 2 Liter Porsche Alloys and fitting them to my 70 Ghia.
For ball seats R14 stands for 14mm raduis on the ball seat. Two different guys I spoke with, said that they have never heard of two different ball sizes for Porsche.
I got 14MM x 1.5 R14,19MM hex, 33mm long.
2 liter alloys with IRS drum with 33MM long and 36MM long bolts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The closest length in the locking bolts are 36 MM long.
The 36mm sticks out some but I have to test fit them to make sure they don't rub on the brakes.

So after looking around all over for lugbolts these RAD GmbH products are very high quality. http://www.radgmbh.com/
Class 10.9 bolts and the locking bolts have a spline type of interlock. I remember f*cking up some McGaurd wheels locks along time ago.

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche bolts, part number 914 361 315 01, are 38mm long while Vw bolts are 25mm long.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Mounted "RAD" Bolts on 2 Liter Porsche Reply with quote

Here's a couple pic of my new bolts mounted up.

I also got the plastic covers that are not on.

I'm very happy with these products.
I also got to meet the owner of RAD USA and got to chat with him some.
RAD used to be an OEM supplier to Mercedes.
They make the highest quality wheel hardware that I found on the net. Where else can you get class 10.9 wheel hardware? I don't have any ties with RAD. I just want to let you guys know what I found after all of my research.

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
TheAndante
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work. Atleast you researched and know the difference. The RADs are good OE quality metal. People often put undersized ball seats on Porsche wheels and it's just dangerous. I sell the lugs below to 914'ers. I had to have them made because no one would make lugs with the full specs, plus chrome. I added a sidewall to the seats and a finishing lip.

The blank section in the threads is not critical. It's just Porsche's way of being gentle on your bolt holes. People often go really cheap on bolts with undersized ball seats and then torque them to 80/90lbs on alloy rims.

Note that Porsche lugs also came in 25mm IF you were running the plain steel wheels. The metallurgy is also different on the 25mm lugs because they were for steel wheels. Porsche parts and specs are often like Bosch parts. They cost a little more but it's more than worth it.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAndante wrote:
People often put undersized ball seats on Porsche wheels and it's just dangerous.

I never said anything about using the wrong size ball seat. I did ask just to make sure the info on the Pure Motorsports was right.

TheAndante wrote:
I sell the lugs below to 914'ers.

Yes I saw your ads here on TS and on EBay

TheAndante wrote:
I had to have them made because no one would make lugs with the full specs, plus chrome.

Would you like to share what"full specs" are. What are Porshe specs for their wheel bolts?
I think listing what the specs are on your product would help out alot. This is one of the reasons I did not buy yours. If they were listed I would have bought yours.

Chrome is nice but my car is not a show car. It's a DD. I also didn't want to spend good money on a product that I would have to grind shorter.

TheAndante you have nice stuff. There are folks onTS that have high praise for your product. It just didn't fit my needs.

All what I wanted to find was some bolts that would fit right. Then I found out how much the non cheapo stuff costs. Then I found out how much used OEM Porshebolts were. So if I had to send that kind of money then I was going to get the best speced bolts I could find. The RAD bolts are the best I found. Plus they came in different lengths.
After meeting with the RAD USA guy he knows the market that he deals in. The porshe stuff is just one brand of app that he deals with.

I just want to keep all of this to the topic at hand and the facts.

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
TheAndante
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAD is all good. I just mentioned the biggest danger in general is when people don't research like you have and they go cheapo and end up with undersized ball seats.

I mean full Porsche specs like what is described above, 38mm shank, blank thread area below the seat, R14 ball seat, 19mm head. Most bolts don't do the full specs and drop one or two of those stats. Not usually a big deal except for the seat. Except for RAD it's almost guaranteed to be the wrong seats for mounting Porsche wheels. If you ever want info from a Samba seller just ask. I can usually reply within hours.

Yes, unless someone is running about 15mm spacers, a VW will tend to require 15mm shortening of Porsche lugs for alloys.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAndante wrote:
RAD is all good. I just mentioned the biggest danger in general is when people don't research like you have and they go cheapo and end up with undersized ball seats.

TheAndante wrote:
People often put undersized ball seats on Porsche wheels and it's just dangerous.

The same thing has been said in 2 posts.

TheAndante wrote:
I mean full Porsche specs like what is described above, 38mm shank, blank thread area below the seat, R14 ball seat, 19mm head. Most bolts don't do the full specs and drop one or two of those stats.

Specs are different than dimensions. A dimension can change,say 19mm to 17mm hex head.

TheAndante wrote:
it's almost guaranteed to be the wrong seats for mounting Porsche wheels.

How can there be a guarantee that you get the wrong bolts?

TheAndante wrote:
If you ever want info from a Samba seller just ask. I can usually reply within hours.

Thank you for another ad.This is the tech section.

So I need to ask a few things:
1) What kind of steel is your bolts made out of?
2) Is that steel certified?
3)What class bolt are your rated at?
4) Have they been stress tested?
5) What percentage of thread are the bolt made to?

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
TheAndante
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your replies seem like you're feeling attacked. I saw this thread of other Samba members discussing VW's and Porsche wheels and lug bolts so I felt like contributing. I have done nothing but agree with your results. Why such snide remarks?

These are from Germany and identical to RAD metallurgy and ISO rating. They vary in the finish and as described above. Scroll up. I don't want to repeat something that's already been said even though the topic itself has been discussed numerous times right? In the U.S. these were also stress tested by Southwest Research and real time tested by two Porsche racing/tuners in California and Texas.

Saying that specs are different than dimensions doesn't make sense. Porsche specs/VW specs/engineering specs are nothing but a series of dimensions,sizes,percentages,measurements, etc.

I didn't say it was guaranteed to get the wrong bolts. ?

I sell these bolts and I provided technical information. I didn't post a single link to any company or ad anywhere, unlike all of the links that have been posted above.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All what I have to say is ask any manufacturing engineer what the differance is between "specifications" and "dimensions".

Yes you agreeded that RAD is good.

Some of your contributions here really didn't have anything to do with what was in my first 2 posts. What does 15mm spacers have to do when I bought the correct length bolts?? Go back and see what really applys to the info that I posted .

So why is there not ANY technical infromation on your bolts? You say they are from Germany. In another post(in another thread) you said that you had them made locally(Texas?). So the steel is from Germany and they are made here(Texas)?

RAD bolt are cold forged.Are yours cold forged too. Cold forged or machined in Texas?

RAD metallury states on their web site that they use certified steel. You use the same thing?

Also the same ISO rating. 10.9 class of bolt? Southwest Research can verify this? Would you mind showing us this?

Please answer each question. Do not use blanket statements.

By asking all these I'm questions I'm doing you a favor by letting the everybody know what the info is on your product is. If I would have any technical data on your bolts I might have bought them. I didn't find any info on your product that told me that they were better than cheep Empi bolts.

I didn't want to spend about $90 buck on your bolts only to have to make a fixture and mill them shorter. Then the chrome might chip off.

Selp promotion in every one of your posts in this thread. "I sell bolts".
"I can usually reply within hours." WHAT does that have to do with the heart of this thread?
There are alot of folks that sell thing here. Some folks yell it out loud and clear, in a post, and some folks might say " You have a PM".

The links I posted here are the heart of this thread. I did not have the RAD bolt in hand. Reread the part about "I don't have any ties with RAD" I am not tring to sell ANY product here. Are you? So you don't post a link and I do.

If I post links here and you don't like it. Don't read it.

Thanks for telling me.

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
TheAndante
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion involved a non-OEM application of wheels and bolts. So now there's a problem with spacers being mentioned? Spacers are a regularl part of any discussion of mixing wheels and bolts and cars. If you somehow feel like I ruined your post then that is one thing but the issue about spacers being so wildly off topic might be part of that.

You're talking about a post from July of last year. There have been gigantic changes. It was no longer cost effective to import the materials and then have the work done here. The last run was done in Germany. The volume/demand doesn't require daily production.

RAD are the only ones doing all cold forged. That comes from massive contracts for half the cars in europe. Cold forged is room temp. These are forged at 0.3 times above room temp. You can hold it in your hand. It's not as hard on tooling and the chroming afterward came out better. The steel is certified in Germany. If we were contracting to U.S. car retailers then the certification would be U.S. My partner said that technically any two pieces of metal can't be called identical or the same without them being made under one company with one set of requirements so these aren't going to be the "same". Just the finish alone negates it. All high grade fasteners, which these are, are ISO 898 and range from 10 to 12.9. I can get with the engineer we used and go through files for the tests and the DIN(German)/ISO(U.S.) if I thought it was going to be worthwhile. While yours are 10.9's it's not the only class RAD makes. Yours are the heart of the thread and anything else is wrong.

"I can usually reply within hours." WHAT does that have to do with the heart of this thread?

What is it about that? I addressed a non 'heart of thread' statement made by you. You never indicated that you want to clear statement as pertaining to the heart of the thread. If you want heart of thread statements only then say it at the top, "I expect heart of thread statements only". You said your Ghia is a daily driver. Does that have to do with the heart of this thread? After you said that I was able to move on. Mine is a daily driver. So what? Are both of those heart of thread statemements, or just one, or neither?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. If I wanted to post an ad here I would have.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of what I have a to say has been said. I'm done.

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 914 Alloy Wheel Lug Bolts Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
After looking at all the info here and around on the net. The OG 914 lug bolts are a Ball seat 14mm x 38mm long. 19mm head hex. I found a site with a choice of different size ball seats. R12,R13,R14. Look here:
http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=530
click on the "Apps & Specs" tab.

The chart also lists 4237 is for Porsche.R14 ball. Is this the ball seat size for all Porsche?
What size is the OG 914 ball seat size? It looks like the 4269 would work.14mm x 33mm long,R14 ballseat,19mm head.I'm assuming R14 is for 914.
Thank You!!! I have been looking everywhere trying to figure out what to use on my empi 8's no one has any useful info. I'll be ordering A set of thes! The picks you posted are A big help..
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Porsche bolts, part number 914 361 315 01, are 38mm long while Vw bolts are 25mm long.

This pick was A big help to! seeing the too lug bolts side by side so I could see the ball seats are the same.. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: