Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repairing '67 rear valence.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notablecarrot3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Repairing '67 rear valence. Reply with quote

Hi guys

The rear valence on my '67 is looking a bit sorry, rust bubbles are coming through the paint and are getting worse, so I think it's time to repair it. I have no welding equipment and I cannot weld though my dad can. If worse comes to worst I'll pay a garage to weld a little bit but I am on a very tight budget.

My main question is whether it is possible to repair a '67 valence using a new '68 valence but cutting the top of it to weld in the '67 bit where all the decklid latch is etc. ?

I like the idea of having a valence with no exhaust exits, totally smooth, so I was thinking about this one:
http://www.machine7.com/product.php?...2763&xSec=1229

So, is it possible to modify that to fit a '67, and has anybody done it who could give me some pointers?

Thanks

Tom

EverettB wrote:
Is it wrong to be jealous of their facial hair abilities?
67 Rag-top
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was done like that. Cut the old valance off and welded a mexican one in place. Drew around the decklid and make the correct measurements. Welded the top half of the old one back in. I didn't do it by the way, but it was supposidly straight forward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the '67 rear was unique to that year, one of the many things only found in '67 bugs. But it you want a smooth valence, I'd spot weld metal fillers to the tailpipe cutouts then use fiber bondo to smooth the entire valence before priming and painting. \

crvc
Notablecarrot3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
I thought the '67 rear was unique to that year, one of the many things only found in '67 bugs. But it you want a smooth valence, I'd spot weld metal fillers to the tailpipe cutouts then use fiber bondo to smooth the entire valence before priming and painting. \

crvc

'67 was a 1 year only apron, and you can't get repro ones so that's why I was wondering about using a '68 one and modifying it.

I can't just fill the tailpipe cut outs that easily, because the whole lower part of the apron needs replacing ideally.

Thanks

EverettB wrote:
Is it wrong to be jealous of their facial hair abilities?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: