Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

power windows
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: power windows Reply with quote

i just finished rebuilding my power windows motors tracks whole shabang!

the driver was rolling down just fine. but now its not. where is the relay for the power windows? thats the only thing that could be wrong mine but idont kno w which one it is?

thanks guys
1964 vespa vbb 150
1973 vespa sprint
2005 toyota tacoma Ole reliable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silversyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering the same thing the other day. Cant find the info anywhere Question
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a relay? I thought it was just powered through the switch. Check all your wiring for continuity.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say most likely you have a broken wire at the points where the loom goes into the door. 20 years of opening and closing doors eventually breaks the wires.

Just a regular guy
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... I'd say check the wiring first. Right up near the power door switch the wiriing loom is bunched and tightly folded to clear the window movement.

Alternately, your cable jammed or perhaps a fuse.
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your switches click back and forth crisply? I replaced mine with some presumed "used but good" switches and after a few months, they stopped working too.

I have disassembled the switches and found that the grease inside is hardened and preventing full contact. Cleaning them is no big thing but reassembling them is particularly frustrating. There are two little metal levers that do not want to sit on their pivot points when you click the switch back together. But, once successfully reassembled, they work fine.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mordeaux wrote:
Do your switches click back and forth crisply? I replaced mine with some presumed "used but good" switches and after a few months, they stopped working too.

I have disassembled the switches and found that the grease inside is hardened and preventing full contact. Cleaning them is no big thing but reassembling them is particularly frustrating. There are two little metal levers that do not want to sit on their pivot points when you click the switch back together. But, once successfully reassembled, they work fine.

Not to hijack but this interesting...I think I may need to take my passenger side switch apart. I have full control of the the pass window from the driver's side, but the passenger side switch will only lower the window, not raise it. Seems like this would be switch issue and not the normal door/wire problem....right?
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the switch to me. I had the same condition before I took the switches out and cleaned them. I clean all contacts in the wire connections, cleaned and reassembled the switches, lubricated all the guides and tracks and every thing is pretty snappy now.

The switches are maddening to reassemble. Let me know if you find a method that works. I Tried sticking the metal bit in with dielectric grease but I think the main thing is to push the rocker switch part back into the shell absolutely straight. If you rock it at all to one side, it seems to push the metal levers off their pivots.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About disassembling/reassembling the switches: I've found you can get good results with taking them apart at all.

A trick I learned on the Saab.net site (Saabs have the switches mounted flat between the front seats so there is no end of Coke and coffee gumming them up) is simply to soak the switches overnight in alcohol. It will get in there, and it will clean up all the gunk from the contacts--you just have to leave it long enough. Then after 24 hours shake the switches vigorously with the alcohol still in there, dry them, and try them again.

This also works great on the power door lock actuators. I also spray a bit of dry silicone lubricant in there after I'm done.

Vancafe has cheap replacements if cleaning doesn't work.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm....thanks, the alcohol trick seem like its worth trying. Anyone know if the Vancafe switches are lit from the inside like the originals?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone know if the Vancafe switches are lit from the inside like the originals?

Yes, they are.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
where is the relay for the power windows?

It is one of those modular relay holders that clip onto the top of the fuse box. You have to remove the screw holding the fuse box and lift the fuse box off the hooks and pull it down to even see the relay holder.
Relays rarely go bad, The wires or the switch that everybody is telling you to check is the issue 99.99% of the time. Good luck
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummer i just had my driver and passenger windows working fine then once i got the back together they didnt work at all. ill have to check all the wires tomorrow.

i thought there was a relay because i just didnt work after working fine last week

any way thanks
1964 vespa vbb 150
1973 vespa sprint
2005 toyota tacoma Ole reliable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: