Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

small nut daily drivers input needed...
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germanlove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: small nut daily drivers input needed... Reply with quote

So I need to replace a tranny in a 61' project bus. I havent driven a small nut before. I really want to get it on the road and need to decide if I should stick with a small nut or find something else. I plan on running a stock 1600 in it. i would like to make it more than a weekend driver. So here are some questions;

what is top end speed on a stock small nut?

has anyone converted theirs to a FF? if so, do you like it?

any suggestions for mods, gearing, etc?

If I go big nut, should it be kept stock or ff?

if i restore the bus will the big nut kill the value?

thanks in advance!
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 60 panel is small nut (all stock gearing) with a 1600dp. top speed is 60mph and its screaming. if you are looking to keep the bus all stock and correct, I would suggest you stay with small nut. If youre gonna drive long distances, I would suggest the big nut. I had never driven a small nut either. If i had known before I had it rebuilt, I wouldve gone with a big nut. I'm not sure how the FF setup works on a small nut.

My 63 sc is big nut (stock gearing) with 1600sp. I cruise 60-65 comfortably. can get it to 70 if i want.

My 67 kombi is big nut with FF but still has the stock 1.26 RGBs, and 1776 engine. I cruise 70 easily, can get it up faster but havent yet cuz i had to pull the engine for head replacement.
63 Single Cab
67 SO42 Westfalia
73 Thing
76 Kombi
82 Westfalia Deluxe
82 Quantum Coupe
85 Quantum Sedan
85 Quantum Syncro Wagon
96 Golf GL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily driver is a small nut tranny with a 1600 sp. I cruise the highway between 50-55 mph. I've had my truck for 6 years now. I just learn to add 15% to the estimated time mapquest suggests it'll take to get somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to do 55 MPH @ 3,800 RPM with stock small nut 1960-63 gearing.

Went to FF late RGB transaxle doing 60 MPH @ 3,000 RPM.

Before with stock transaxle was getting 18-19 MPG, and had cooling problems. With same big bore 40 HP engine went to 27 MPG, and most of the cooling problems went away.

Plus the brakes on the large nut RGBs are 20% bigger, so better stopping.

If you or anyone else wants to Pmail us, will be happy to send back our "Modified Tranny History".
mastajusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 58 has the stock trans and a 1600 single port with dual webbers. 55mph all day long, up hill, down hill, with a load, with just me, head wind, tail wind... As long as your cool with 55 it's a great setup!!! When you hit the back roads it's a total dream to drive.

I don't know much about ff setups but I've found if you want a bus to drive and not worry about messing with bits all the time, stock(ish) is the way to go Smile
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
We used to do 55 MPH @ 3,800 RPM with stock small nut 1960-63 gearing.

Went to FF late RGB transaxle doing 60 MPH @ 3,000 RPM.

Before with stock transaxle was getting 18-19 MPG, and had cooling problems. With same big bore 40 HP engine went to 27 MPG, and most of the cooling problems went away.

Plus the brakes on the large nut RGBs are 20% bigger, so better stopping.

If you or anyone else wants to Pmail us, will be happy to send back our "Modified Tranny History".

I would like to have you pm me your tranny history please!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you get know where fast with a small nut. Im kinda in the same boat. Im pulling out a bad IRS on my 61 D/C and trying to decide which way to go small (original) or big. Im running the same motor too. maybe a small freeway flyer with later rgb? does that even go together?

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock small nut trans in my 63 has

4.12 r&p
.82 4th

If I cruise at 50mph I get 29 mpg. The faster I go the less I get

Current engine

1699cc
dual icts
1 3/8 header

I just picked up a rebuilt big nut with 4.12, hopfully I will pick up a few mph/mpg.
germanlove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate everybodies input so far. I am still undecided. I know I cant afford to build a ff in any variation at the moment. i have heard equal from both sides about small and big. i am kinda leaning toward the big nut so far. its only a d/c. they dont fetch big dollars restored and the increased braking would help under a load. i dont think it will kill the resale value with that upgrade. i am a purist, but seeing that this is a commercial to be driven daily, i think some upgrades are called for.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germanlove,
Rock the stock small nut. I run a full synchro in my 58 15 all day,no issues. Just make sure your grease seals are good and oil levels are good. You should have no issues,just keep in mind,it wont be fast like a beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
it wont be fast like a beetle.

Never heard that before!!!

I guess like everything, its relative.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germanlove wrote:
I appreciate everybodies input so far. I am still undecided. I know I cant afford to build a ff in any variation at the moment.

Yes, but you will use more fuel $$$ in the not so long run without a higher geared transaxle if you are going to do the freeway speeds.

Figured we payed off our first FF of $800.00 at 80,000 miles back when fuel was $1.35 per gallon! At today's $3.00 per gallon it does not take so many miles....

Yes, one can install a FF tranny with small nut RGBs, but do not expect to do more than about 55 MPH @ 3,000 RPM.
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
germanlove wrote:
I appreciate everybodies input so far. I am still undecided. I know I cant afford to build a ff in any variation at the moment.

Yes, but you will use more fuel $$$ in the not so long run without a higher geared transaxle if you are going to do the freeway speeds.

Figured we payed off our first FF of $800.00 at 80,000 miles back when fuel was $1.35 per gallon! At today's $3.00 per gallon it does not take so many miles....

Yes, one can install a FF tranny with small nut RGBs, but do not expect to do more than about 55 MPH @ 3,000 RPM.

What kind of gas mileage do you think a 1600 sp w/small nut freeway flier would get? That's what I'm considering for my 61 dual cab.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
germanlove wrote:

The funny thing is the best milage I ever got was with a small nut boxed split case tranny and a 1500 sp. I got 31mpg.
I wrote down every time I got gas. And even if my speedo was off, well the odometer seemed to fit with the mile markers on the freeway. I drove that bus across country and back. Up and down the west coast. I revved the piss out of it driving 60mph. Once I was late, and drove 70mph for an hour. Shocked
Not just once, but for the whole three years that bus was my daily driver, it was 31mpg,
except twice:
Once going UP the Sierras it was 40mpg, with me, two friends, their baby, and a pile of camping gear.
Then at one fill-up the milage was only 16, so I did a compression check, which said only 3 cylinders made oomph, so I swapped another motor in. Razz

It must have been that little 28 pict carb giving the good milage. That and dumb beginners luck. I have never had milage so good as when I didn't know much about buses.
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your big nut theory. I dont think it will kill the value, it will give you the extra mph's for freeway driving. if you were running a bigger motor, then I would consider a ff.

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the freeway we are getting 22-23 MPG @ 60 MPH with slightly larger rear tires than the 205/75R15 on the front. Engine has CW crank, 1641cc slip ins, 7.1 CR, H-30 Brazilian carb with cable choke.

Before FF transaxle was running big bore 40 HP engine. MPG was in the 18-19 range @ 55 MPH & 3,800 RPM. When we dropped to 47 MPH @ 3,000 RPM went to 27 MPG. Got the FF and MPG went down to 25 MPG doing 58 MPH @ 3,000 RPM.

Clara, sure wish you still had that engine for autopsy!! Best guess is it had pretty high CR and was running pretty lean...
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
On the freeway we are getting 22-23 MPG @ 60 MPH with slightly larger rear tires than the 205/75R15 on the front. Engine has CW crank, 1641cc slip ins, 7.1 CR, H-30 Brazilian carb with cable choke.

Before FF transaxle was running big bore 40 HP engine. MPG was in the 18-19 range @ 55 MPH & 3,800 RPM. When we dropped to 47 MPH @ 3,000 RPM went to 27 MPG. Got the FF and MPG went down to 25 MPG doing 58 MPH @ 3,000 RPM.

Clara, sure wish you still had that engine for autopsy!! Best guess is it had pretty high CR and was running pretty lean...

The next motor got exactly the same milage. (I dressed it with with the same parts) It had terrible carb icing issues, that I didn't know about at the time, just that it ran really badly in the am if I didn't let it warm up with a chunk of wood on the gas pedal while I ate my breakfast. (choke didn't stay on long enough to warm it up, hence the chunk of wood 'manual choke') Of course, it had one of those silly air cleaners, not the stock oil bath, it had no pre-heat and no thermostat.

Later I did go through the old motor. I did a top end rebuild and replaced the heads with rebuildt ones. The old heads were cracked. Which is a pretty bad sign, cause single port heads usually don't get cracked. The bottom end was fine. Then I put the engine in something else and who knows where it is now.

That bus was the aqua colored on the outside with SWR dash 59 panel with windows cut in, and diamond pattern naugahyde interior I was driving when I met you guys. You did some welding on the windows ledges IIRC, and I installed new window seals cause it had been leaking pretty badly in the rain.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: