Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine upgrades on a college student budget
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
California Kublewagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Engine upgrades on a college student budget Reply with quote

Hey Thingers!

As I have heard many times, and experienced myself as well, the 1600 DP engine pushes a Thing sufficiently, but could do alot better with upgrades...

My challenge is this: in the name of power and reliability, what upgrades would you do on your 1600 DP stock engine if you were on a tight budget (such as a college student)? Everyone seems to have different answers (cams, higher compression pistons...): Why would you upgrade a particular component over another?

I'm looking to upgrade my semi-stock engine (I've got solid-state ignition and Thing Shop exhaust on it so far) over this winter, but I don't know where to start. Where would you start?

Thanks!
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as your budget is concerned.. how "tight" is "tight"? Your options are a lot different on a $3000 budget than on a $300 budget.

Kads. i like Kads. Kads are cheap, Kads are good, Kads work well on a stock displacement engine.
1.4 Ratio rockers.
$500 and an afternoon's worth of work and you will see a noticeable difference in your car's performance. Anything else will require yanking the engine, splitting the case and building bigger displacement, and that starts to cost, to do it right.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Cal Dez Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had those same feelings too when I bought my thing. I added a Berg extractor exhaust, svda distributor, dual 36 dells, a Berg temp stick to keeps tabs on the temperature. Mine is a daily driver and it runs cool and actually gets better mileage than with that stock pict 34 carb. My next project is installing a set of Berg 1.4 rockers. If you haven't already, an alternator in place of the generator helped me get rid of the glowing red light. Make sure all of your tin fits good. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: