Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early 54 pistons
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Early 54 pistons Reply with quote

Hi
I am currently tearing down a early 54 36hp engine that I have purchased for my 54 beetle. This motor I have had running, but not knowing the history of it, I wanted to go right through it and replace/rebuild as required.

It has dished top pistons (Nural with manf date 4/54 on top). unfortunally one has a crack in the wall.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I will be fitting a new set of barrels/pistons, but my question is, after reading my Bentley I realised that I will increasing the compression ratio from 6.1 to 6.6 using flat top pistons. Could anybody give me advise as to use the existing distriubter (VJU4/BR3T) or should I use the later 54/55 type. It also has the original earlier style heads.

Also any ideas on what would have caused this crack.I can see evidence where something has definetly hit the inside of the piston behind the crack,but no evidence to what caused it .The motor has been apart at least once because I dont think that is a original oil ring

Thanks Ross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volumex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW nominated that you can keep the BR3 if you change the timing. (Bottom left of this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/m1/9_55_page3.jpg )

If you want to use a later distributor, may I join the front of the queue of the hundreds of people who want to buy your BR3. (j/k - use the BR3)

With modern higher octane fuels, you might want to try keeping the original timing & see if you get pinging. Then again, NZ fuel is probably even dodgier than Australian so be careful Laughing

As for the crack, I have no idea.
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. What makes VJU4 BR3T dist so desirable? are they
getting harder to get. Fuel over here is not the best and is getting bloody expensive as well Exclamation Exclamation
Thanks Ross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to jump into this thread and say..... "Them are some bad ass pistons!!!!" Thats some cool shit brotha.. Love to see that old OG stuff.. awesome.. Too bad there wasn't a way to cost effectively save them.. I saved them pics into my VeeDub folders.. Just wanted to give some props.. Thanks for the pics.. Cool
I gave my oval a nasty look. Money hungry bitch....

(Delilah) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319235

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1954 Parts Book (CD PDF) PM TO INQUIRE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwi1966 wrote:
Thanks for the advise. What makes VJU4 BR3T dist so desirable? are they getting harder to get.
Thanks Ross

They have a very short production run so they are rather rare... but they also have a very limited market.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: