Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing pricing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Thing pricing Reply with quote

I just did a search and the 6-6500 is fairly common pricing for a thing. Just wondering if you guys are actually getting those prices for them. We have a freind that has a 2 owner 29K OG miles with a pretty cool history. that other than a repaint (not bad but a good eye and you can spot it easily) is unmolested OG with all its goodies still in place etc. The only bad thing is that our freind, the current owner, did not list that it had the OG mileage when he transfered the title to his name years ago. I don't know if there is a way to document/fix this but I know for sure that its actual.

He wants what he paid for it (which is in that price range). I normally do not pay more $1000 for my VW's and either rebuild or drive as a beater so this is a big step for me for fork that kind of jack out. But the wife likes it and I would imagine that I would not take a beating if we needed to turn it.

What do you guys think? I will be going over there in the next few days with my fine tooth comb to have a better look at it and try to make a descision.
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wanted a Thing, and been looking at them for years, but as you said, their rarity & desirability generally keep the prices high. I've been to look at a few in the $1500-$2k range that were BEAT. Sounds like that one is super nice, which will pay off in savings in the long run, as THing parts are often a little more expensive...
Sounds like a good deal!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sell mine for $6500. It is daily driver, came in second as such at Kuebeltreffen East. Has a new top w/frame, custom made seat upholstry, rebuilt engine, new tires, etc. It is in good shape and is insured for $8000.

Paid 1/2 that 3 years ago and put a couple of thousand in it.

If you want a junk one you will find something in the $1000 range. Plan on doing a lot of work yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The run up in price is recent. They will come back down. I sold a decent running Thing a while back for $3200. It wasnt perfect, but it had a good top, it ran, & was straight. It had rust in the back of the rockers. That was its biggest downfall. I think you need to look outside the Samba and other VW sites. They can be had for less. $6500 isnt horrible, but it had better be really nice for that price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $5k for my '74 (31k OG miles) in June. I looked extensively and read the Forums on this website when it came to painting & maintenance.

The owner had a $7k paint job done to it. I still need a soft top frame, new suspension components and some minor brake re-works....which will cost me far less than pan repair, paint and rust restoration.

Remember, the thing is a paint prepper's nightmare since you have all of the unsmooth surfaces and that is where the real cost comes from.

Start from the top down on a Thing. There are many hidden items ( seats, hard/soft top, engine, ball joints, brakes and body parts) that you will not find wrong until you purchase. Just some of the things I learned here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: