Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trike ideas needed....
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nybugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Trike ideas needed.... Reply with quote

I need some ideas on frame construction with a vw sub frame and yamaha front end.I want to build one with floor boards as opposed to pegs.7 hip replacements won't allow for pegs! My first question is if anyone has pics on how to attach the frame to the front forks.I think that I should start with my own frame(maybe 2x2 or 2x3 tube).Or should I go with tubing?What size tubing?
I am very concerned with structual integrity but at the same time I don't want to overbuild either.If I can get some feed back and any build pics that would be a great help to me and then I can actually get started on this project.Getting very excited to start and still have plenty of winter to get alot done.
Thanks in advanced to anyone with any help at all..I truly appreciate it!
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate the hip problems. Both of my hips and knees are wasted from a bike wreck. I can't ride a Harley anymore but still get the rush on a trike. Your best bet for LOTS of pics is going to: Brothers of the Third Wheel. Do a serch and you will find the site. Lots of ideas and some good build threads.
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
76powercharger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to this link, they build some really cool rides and use VW powerplants.

http://www.phoenixtrikeworks.com/
rsfowler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you need to watch the overbuild! I have gotten into that frame of mind and now my trike is like a tank. I'm glad its strong but not so happy with the weight.

I used 2" square tubing for the main frame and 1" square tubing for the rest. I put corner braces everywhere. I wish I would have used a thinner Wall tubing. I used a swig axle because that is what I had.

Good Luck
Bob
Ravinsomniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an idea for a cool looking trike.
Get a VW engine and trans-axle with the wheels attached.
Build the frame with a reclining seat, real low, right in front of the trans-axle. Custom make a narrow 30 gallon gas tank to fit between your legs, and mount the battery low in front of the gas tank. This will help to add weight to the front so it doesn't wheelie too easily. If you build it right, your head would be just about as high as the top of the fan shroud, with a long chopper style springer front end. It would look like a Lazy Boy Recliner on 3 wheels. Since the middle of your back would be right in front of the trans-axle, you could use a shifter like this.
http://www.cableshift.com/C-S%20VT1/type%201%20page.html
Greg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: