Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Wheel comments...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think about these wheels, would you put them on your van? Bad ass or dumb ass?
Bad Ass Lookin'
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Dumb Ass Lookin'
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
OK, but better stuff out there...
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Syncro Wheel comments... Reply with quote

I have been talking with Christopher Loogy about putting these on my van, and while I am waiting for the exact offset info from the seller, I thought I would pitch them to the Vanagon crowd for comments (none about my awesome graphic skillz!).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wheels are 18x8, and the tire I am considering is a Toyo H/T 235/55R18, 28.2 Diameter, 9.6 wide and 27.3 lbs. This claims to have a more quiet ride than the A/T, less aggressive in the crappy weather, but still suitable for off light offroad:
"The Open Country H/T is an all-season, light truck tire designed for optimal ride comfort, quiet performance and handling during city and highway use. This M&S rated tire is available in a wide range of original equipment sizes, perfect for upgrading the ride quality of your light truck, SUV or crossover."

Speedometer Difference: 9.833% slow
Diameter Difference: 8.95%
Revs per Mile: 738.3 (stock = 811 I think)

I have read that they are pretty strong, but no real info on that (these are repro, as Porsche did not make an 18" size, only 19").

I need to kick ass up to the ski hills, some light off road in Moab and on dirt can gravel roads. This is also my daily driver, so I want smooth lovin', and a tire size that is not totally queer and hard to find. I need to be able to air down a little on the sand and off road. And, I wouldn't mind looking good as well. I won't cry if I have to lift my suspension a little. If you don't know about that technical stuff, than you can just say if you think they look good or not. Peace

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air down with 55 series tires? Expect pinch flats and ruined sidewalls!
If you want to do any offroading stick with 15" or 16" rims so that you can get a tire with a strong sidewall and one tall enough to flex without pinchflatting on any minor rock.
Those 18's are better suited to those vans that will never see any dirt in their lifetime.
Good luck.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Air down with 55 series tires? Expect pinch flats and ruined sidewalls!
If you want to do any offroading stick with 15" or 16" rims so that you can get a tire with a strong sidewall and one tall enough to flex without pinchflatting on any minor rock.
Those 18's are better suited to those vans that will never see any dirt in their lifetime.
Good luck.

Indeed, and that is my one issue with these. Even not airing down, I still think they have flat written all over them. But I dig those wheels!

Hmm, maybe these, black in a 17x7?

Phlaaaaaats again...

Anybody have a good looking non-traditional wheel? Something outside the usual CLK/GoWesty/VC/Depot routine?

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on sticking with 15" or 16". I would have gone 15" so I could get a taller sidewall, but since I went with steel rims and big brakes in the future, I had to go 16".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: