Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

camp sites in Quebec west of Ottawa
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
multivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: camp sites in Quebec west of Ottawa Reply with quote

This summer I am cruising from Sault ste. Marie east along the Trans Canada Highway in my multivan with 3 kids. Can anyone recommend a camping area west of Ottawa in Quebec?
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: camping in quebec Reply with quote

Google camping Provincial Parks of Quebec...lots of info

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but West of Ottawa on Trans Canada is Ontario or am I standing on my head.??? I'm hoping to make it up to Busfusion in the Almonte area. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: camping Reply with quote

There is a Sepaq park in Drummondville. If you go North of Quebec City past Stoneham, Jaques Cartier Park. (sepaq) East towards Gaspe, Bic. (sepaq)

Do I seem biased towards Sepaq Parks? hmmm.

First week of July we will be in the Chic Chocs at Lake Cascapedia. (Sepaq)

Other than that there are RV parks along the way...not my cup of Java but whatever churns your butter.

Now that I think I know where you mean...Gatineau Hills. North and maybe a bit West of Ottawa...

Brian.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatineau is actually the old Hull and its northeast of Ottawa. Ontario is on the west side of the Ottawa River, Quebec on east side. I'm from Carp. Perhaps they meant north of Ottawa if they are coming the trans Cda from the Sault?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: directions Reply with quote

Don't mean to be a directional smartass Daizee but Gatineau (the old Hull) is definitely Northwest of Ottawa...lines on longitude don't lie.

I'm not really sure where the OP is going I just know lots of nice campgrounds.

Fitzroy is nice as well. We stayed there a couple of times.

Brian.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stand corrected. Must have looked at the Atlas cross eyed. Rolling Eyes Being from Carp, Fitroy Harbour is very familiar (or rather used to be).

OP how far east do you plan on going. Question
vspecter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's around 4 hours from Ottawa but Mauricie National Park is an awesome place too.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following this thread because I may come back from N/L thru Labrador and then the north shore of the St Lawrence. I don't know my exact route but do plan to go thru northern New England states on way down.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: camping Reply with quote

FYI, Chicoutimi is a very friendly town with a Chocolatier to die for. If you like chocolate. My girls do.

Camping around the Saguenay Fiord is amazing. We saw Beluga whales from the shore as well as other types in Tadoussac. Sounds like this might be on your route home and you shouldn't miss it.

A park we missed last time but is on our radar for next time is Parc Des Haute-Gorges-De-La-Riviere-Malbaie. Roughly translated by a guy living with french wife and kids to mean big gorges by a river named Malbaie. Once again it's on the Sepaq website.

Amazing area of our country. You can use my theory on Quebec...all our money goes there...we might as well go to! No offense to the Quebecors...just jealous.

Brian.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure I want to see the Saquenay area, for sure!

Anyone heard from the OP?
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: camping Reply with quote

Nope. Not a peep.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: camping Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
FYI, Chicoutimi is a very friendly town with a Chocolatier to die for. If you like chocolate. My girls do.

Camping around the Saguenay Fiord is amazing. We saw Beluga whales from the shore as well as other types in Tadoussac. Sounds like this might be on your route home and you shouldn't miss it.

A park we missed last time but is on our radar for next time is Parc Des Haute-Gorges-De-La-Riviere-Malbaie. Roughly translated by a guy living with french wife and kids to mean big gorges by a river named Malbaie. Once again it's on the Sepaq website.

Amazing area of our country. You can use my theory on Quebec...all our money goes there...we might as well go to! No offense to the Quebecors...just jealous.

Brian.

You live in the most frigging beautiful province (even state!) ????

Yea, this little spot in QC is very nice (my favourite) but i can name 20 nice one in NS.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
multivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee, My apologies for my vague knowledge of Provincial boundaries. Google Earth does not display provincial boundaries so I estimated I would be in Quebec when I was still in Ontario.

So far I have this planned:

In the Sudbury area Chutes Provincial park then on to Driftwood provincial park. I was thinking of turning south at Ottawa and staying at Rideau River park then into New York. Anyone visited these parks? Any alternative suggestions. My destination is Central Vermont. Thanks for all the input so far.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Parks Reply with quote

We stayed in Chutes on our way back east last summer. It was a really nice park. Not busy, the river was beautiful. Just don't park too close to an outhouse...not sure what chemicals they use but they were pretty stinky. We were too tired to bother to move sites...hehe. All the Ontario PParks were nice. Nice showers, nice people.

Hey Ben...You are right about N.S. It is a beautiful spot and I love and appreciate it here. We have explored every corner of it over the years and this summer plan on showing the girls more of it.

What I love about Quebec are the mountains and the parks. Sepaq parks are expensive but so well maintained and run. Of course it helps being married to a "frenchy" and having my own personal interpreter along. We are pretty lucky in this country to have such diverse people and places. I like it all...even the prairies!

Brian.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multivan, as you are going to Vermont why not do the south shore of Quebec and go down Lake Champlain on your way to Vt. I'd chose that over NY but saying that NY is also pleasant. Ok go one and come back the other.

When I head east to Nfld I will probably go down south shore to Lake Champlain down into Vermont and then east to Maine. Depends where I go next on ferry service but ultimately I hope to come back thru Labrador and the north shore of the seaway. I don't want to miss Saguenay for sure, eh Question Laughing

I'm not worried about French as I can only try and I know some and I have a sense of humor and I think that all that is required is that one tries Exclamation Exclamation plus I will travel with a French to English and English to French dictionary.
multivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check that route out. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: