Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat usage
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Thermostat usage Reply with quote

I have a 1984 Mexican Beetle, which I think came with a 65/70 degree thermostat. Unfortunately, I tossed it years ago. I have recently aquired a 90 degree thermostat with a cable threaded onto it ( presumably for the air control ring style fan shroud) and was curious if I could use it if I re-thread the actuator rod (it has different threads). I know the correct answer is to get the proper thermostat, but was just curious if anyone has more knowledge on the subject. If nothing else, maybe this thread could be used in the future as a good reference for when these thermostats become VERY hard to come by.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Performanc-Engines and Transmission Foeum. There is a Post on there about rebuit ones. From what I read on that topic, the t-stat that you have may be for a Type 2.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zach Thomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said, it's not necessarily right and I don't know enough to know if it would be bad to use. But, couldn't you take a small cylinder (barrel nut maybe?) and drill one side to fit the type 1 rod and the other end screw onto the thermostat?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat usage Reply with quote

Paul Windisch wrote:
... I have recently aquired a 90 degree thermostat with a cable threaded onto it (.....

You have a Type 4/Bus thermostat. Sell it to a Bus guy and buy the right one. You should be able to do two deals with a net cost to you of zero.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: