Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Salt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha... Nice! I like it!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deusexmaxima, Those Mercedes wheels are most likely the 17x8 ET38 versions. I would suggest 10mm spacers, Small ball seat lugs and you will need longer rear wheel studs. You will also have to drill out the lug holes.

The biggest concern with these wheels is the concave faces. Because the faces dish inward so much, it will be impossible to run the stock Mercedes center caps.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Badstep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Mazda rims can I run them? Reply with quote

has anyone tried to mod and run a mazda rim on a vanagon? the bolt pattern seems to be corect (I cant find actual markings) the center hole would need modification and an ofset spacer required I think if any one knows please get back on this subject Thanks in advance! Very Happy
deusexmaxima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
deusexmaxima, Those Mercedes wheels are most likely the 17x8 ET38 versions. I would suggest 10mm spacers, Small ball seat lugs and you will need longer rear wheel studs. You will also have to drill out the lug holes.

The biggest concern with these wheels is the concave faces. Because the faces dish inward so much, it will be impossible to run the stock Mercedes center caps.

Can I get the spacers, lugs and studs from you? I thought these had 14 mm lug holes? If not, where can I have them drilled, or can I drill them myself? I would want VW caps. Any suggestions as to how to do that?

Here is the kind of rim it is:

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/MERCEDES/E+CLASS+-+TYPE+211/2005/A-65296U10/
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badstep, Mazdas are 5x4½, Vanagons are 5x112. It's not going to work without adapters.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deusexmaxima wrote:
loogy wrote:

Can I get the spacers, lugs and studs from you? I thought these had 14 mm lug holes? If not, where can I have them drilled, or can I drill them myself? I would want VW caps. Any suggestions as to how to do that?

Here is the kind of rim it is:

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/MERCEDES/E+CLASS+-+TYPE+211/2005/A-65296U10/

My mistake, the lug holes are already 14mm which means that they will require the large ball seat lugs.

Email me at [email protected] about the other stuff. I'm sure we can get you all fixed up.

Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deusexmaxima wrote:
Here is an idea I have for some Benz rims available locally

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used MSPaint to graft the rims on to a van that looks like mine. They are 2005 E class 17" rims. Opinions?

i always like that fat five spoke rim on the van. there are some polished Audi flat fives that look great too.

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deusexmaxima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like some Audi rims too. Its seems as though the Audi rims generally are more work to get to fit to the Vanagon than Benz rims. I have concentrated my rim search to Benz rims for that reason.
deusexmaxima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to ask if these rims will need to have the center hole bored out?
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: 15x7.5 ET 35: spacers? Reply with quote

hey guys,

I have some 17x8s waiting to go on, but I can't afford the tires at this point. I am having slippage problems with my current stock 14" steelies and Hankooks, so I did a quick search for new rims and found a great deal on alloy 15" Audis ($75 for four!!!)

I am kind of in a time crunch here and can't seem to find the information I am looking for. Maybe you could help me out:

Audi wheels (look kind of like a Benz AMG)
15x7.5
ET35

what sort of spacers will I need? If any?

thanks,
Adam

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might seem cheap, but you'll have to pay some extras to use them.
The center bore will need to be machined, that could be an extra 80 or more.
I think you may need to change out your lug bolts and studs.
Then the lug holes need to be drilled out to 14mm.
And a 5mm spacer will bring you back to the standard 30et.
That stuff could add 300 or more to your cost.
Not saying you shouldn't do it, just that sometimes what looks cheap, doesn't work out that way.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Levi. That's exactly the feedback I was looking for. I appreciate the heads up on the extra cost. I think I'll go for it anyway. I'll let you guys know how I decide.

Thanks again!

Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the exact rims that I was talking about in my previous post. Levi was right on. I did not buy them yesterday, but I may today after talking to a local machinist around the corner. I also spoke to a local Vanagon wheels expert and he said I may end up spending the same amount of money to get the these Audis to fit as I would my 17" OZs. i kind of like the idea of having a second set of alloys for winter driving however, so I may just pick these Audis up anyway and store them until next winter.

Baxta wrote:
Here's what I did this weekend. Bought some rims from a 1990 (?) Audi V8 - despite what the site previously referenced says, they're 15 x 7.5 ET 35. I had a machinist clearance the centerbores (who thought that I'd be paying $120 to have that done - yikes!) and bought the proper lugnuts from Loogy.

Anyways, here are the pics:

Excuse the dirty van - it's cold and miserable outside!

Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: tire help Reply with quote

alright, so I need a little help here with what tires to get for my 17x8 rims (ET35). Loogy and I have emailed back and forth a little and last i recall we were pretty dead set on 225/50 or 225/55. I think this was because of clearance at the rear for the sliding door, as I was going to run 7mm spacers in the back.

However, a 245/45 tire would be a better fit in terms of circumference and I like the idea of a wider tire than the 225s would give me on the 8" rims. but then i guess i won't really have room for the spacers in the rear.

So, any ideas out there? should I go with different size wheels front and rea? Or will that give me headaches if in the future? (ie: tire rotation, getting new tires, etc.)

thanks

deusexmaxima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout a 235 45 tire? Its the same diameter as a 205 70 14.
nomados
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether you have a local tire guy you want to support or not.
I have a great tire guy in my town, and while I'm still hunting for wheels close to me I was originally looking for bi-rotational tire/ symmetrical wheel packages, etc. but one day he said, "hey, what we do for the other camber guys is just remount, rebalance, etc. No biggy." He's very reasonable, so a light bulb kinda got switched off there for me. No worries, and supporting your local tire gig can be a good thing.
This epiphany actually made me WANT some offset MB AMG freakshow widest I can fit rears.
Snowtires in spring ain't sexy, even in Canada, so the search continues.

And to that poster a few up who has an alloy set just for winter, you are dangling a cold wet drink in front of a thirsty man.

EDIT: woops, same guy! Sorry about that.
Listen, never mind what I said. Send 1 set of those alloys to me. I don't care which. Never mind winter, it'll never come again. I'll pay. Smile
deusexmaxima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 17" Boxster rims may be best:

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: tire help Reply with quote

agpushkas wrote:
alright, so I need a little help here with what tires to get for my 17x8 rims (ET35). Loogy and I have emailed back and forth a little and last i recall we were pretty dead set on 225/50 or 225/55. I think this was because of clearance at the rear for the sliding door, as I was going to run 7mm spacers in the back.

However, a 245/45 tire would be a better fit in terms of circumference and I like the idea of a wider tire than the 225s would give me on the 8" rims. but then i guess i won't really have room for the spacers in the rear.

So, any ideas out there? should I go with different size wheels front and rea? Or will that give me headaches if in the future? (ie: tire rotation, getting new tires, etc.)

thanks

When you're out there at the edge of space and time, you need to talk to Loogy.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are nice, and have become somewhat classic for the Vanagon, but I definitely prefer the rims in your previous post. Portland CL has a nice set of Mercedes 16" five spokes for sale....

deusexmaxima wrote:
I think 17" Boxster rims may be best:

Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deusexmaxima wrote:
How bout a 235 45 tire? Its the same diameter as a 205 70 14.

thanks for the feedback guys. that tire size is exactly what was just recommended to me by a local tire guy who also happens to be a Vanagon enthusiast.

Quote:
It depends on whether you have a local tire guy you want to support or not.

You are absolutely right and this is precisely what I did!

I was on my way to work today and was making an uphill 90 degree left turn in the rain and fishtailed 2' out of line as I accelerated. I went straight to Motorsports here in SE Portland and started talking to Tony about my options. I think he'll be mounting my new tires on my 17" OZs this Friday.

Quote:
Listen, never mind what I said. Send 1 set of those alloys to me. I don't care which. Never mind winter, it'll never come again. I'll pay.

I didn't actually pick those alloys up yet because it would be frivolous spending that would not put me any closer to my goal of new tires, but I may. If you are serious about wanting them, however, I can pick them up and send them to you, but like Levi pointed out, they will require a good deal of modification and you will need spacers too. You can find them on Portland CL when you do a search for 5x112. I am not sure about shipping costs. To see the images of the Audi wheel on the van, see my previous Post which showcases Baxta's van.

Thanks again for the help.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 60 of 174

Jump to: