Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing the ignition switch.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddball383
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Removing the ignition switch. Reply with quote

I am changing my 1974 Ghia with a stock ignition and column to use a 1964 steering column with out the ignition on the column. I would also like to set it up as a new style push button like in the newer cars. Can some one please let me know what wires need to have power when the key is off when its on and when its in the start mode. My car has a faulty igntion to begin with so i figured it would be the best time to change it to what I want. I can hot wire the car and make it drive but i only know how to make the motor run and not get any of the lights to work want to retain the stock wiring for the time being until i decide what to with the rest of the car. I also plan on hiding my main on off switch for the power, so i need to know what should be hooked to it to the main power feed and i am going to use a 30 amp starter button on the dash. All your help is greatly apperciated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red is hot /w key off (main Power), black is switched power, and red with/black stripe is to the starter.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RMCLARKSON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POST pictures once you are done. I have thought about doing the same. Hoffman group makes a start stop buttom that is simular to what you see out there. I wend from my dash to the column. I like mine that way.

64 ghia
snoopie
oddball383
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what about the black yellow is that something that is for switched power or is the on all the time? do i need that hooked to red main power or is that on the black? and whats the little blue/brown(color blind so tell me what it is.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: