Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do I remove head rests from eurovan seats
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: how do I remove head rests from eurovan seats Reply with quote

Hi all. In the process of upgrading to eurovan seats (1993). I want to remove the seat covers to wash them and add a lumbar cushion -but running into trouble on how to remove the head rests..
there are two black plastic plugs into the seat... I have pulled, squeezed, routed around under the seat cover, but have not made them budge. I know there must either be an easy way to remove them - or it will be brute force. Best to know in advance.
thanks for any help.
WW

past rides...
1972 Westfalia
1974 Bus - RIP
1969 auto stick beetle - The "Dolphin" bug
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two designs of headrest, but in each there is a flat pushbutton on the black plastic plug. In the older style each plug has the pushbutton facing front. Pushing the button releases a wire bail that engages a slot near the end-of-travel of the headrest. So, lift it up all the way, then push the button to release that last bit of travel.

On the older design, it looks like you will need three hands, two to push both buttons, one to lift up the headrest. But, you can do one side at a time. The newer design has one button only, now facing sideways on the left hand side plug.

I actually prefer the older design -- the pillars of the headrest are black plastic covered -- they look better and slide more easily than the newer chromed ones, I think.

RonC
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron.... do you mean under the seat fabric?
here is a photo of the headrest plug. I have attempted to push and prod within the openings on the side of the plug... with no evidence I am on the right track... I can pull the upholstery down far enough on the back to see an opening... but still cannot seem to find something that would be a release for this darn thing.
WW
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

past rides...
1972 Westfalia
1974 Bus - RIP
eric_x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my eurovan,there's a pin coming out of the plastic slot. I just pull back both pins with my hands, and then pull up on the headrest with my third hand.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW_Victoria wrote:
Thanks Ron.... do you mean under the seat fabric?
here is a photo of the headrest plug. I have attempted to push and prod within the openings on the side of the plug... with no evidence I am on the right track... I can pull the upholstery down far enough on the back to see an opening... but still cannot seem to find something that would be a release for this darn thing.

No, not under the fabric, but right there as shown in your photo. The photo shows what looks to me like the right hand side plastic plug. The slot you can see is where the button goes. The button is missing in the photo. The other plug (left hand side) should have a button in the slot. At least mine do - -I have a 94 and a 95 and on each of those the left hand side has a button, the right hand side does not. That is consistent for all front seat head rests (on mine). I also have a 92, and on that the slot faces forward on both plugs, and both plugs have buttons.

The post by eric_x seems to indicate that he has no buttons, and that he is pulling out on the wire bail (what he is calling a pin) to release the headrest. Maybe the buttons have a tendency to break/fall out, and the fact that mine only have left side buttons is a coincidence? I don't know.

I think if you have no buttons, then brute force and ignorance should work, or pry the pins/wire bails out like eric_x does. I don't think you can hurt it by simply pulling it out. All it is is a spring (wire) that engages a detent/slot. An upward force should cause it to ride out out of the detent, and out it comes. If it feels like you are going to break the plug, then try eric_x's method.

RonC
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps another species of eurovan seat has been discovered in the wild...
these ones just had the clip... brute force from the correct side with a big flat screw driver popped the clip out.
Seats are all apart and washed now... now have to do something about the cushion on the seat pan... not in great shape!

Thanks for your help!

WW

past rides...
1972 Westfalia
1974 Bus - RIP
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...sounds like you have the same ones as eric_x. Just to complete the thread, here are the styles I was talking about.

This is the right-hand-side, 1995. Note there is no clip present in the slot.

This is the left hand side. This side, with the button, actually retains the headrest. Both drivers side and passengers side are the same.

This is a 1992 Canadian model. There are two buttons, facing forward, so you can push them both with one hand, and raise the headrest with the other. I like this headrest the most -- see the black plastic posts?

RonC
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: how do I remove head rests from eurovan seats Reply with quote

Reviving an old post in hopes I can get some advice. I have exactly the same problem as the original poster WW_Victoria. No pins, no buttons, no nothing. I can see what looks like a little ring in the slots but can't figure out how to pull on it. Anybody still out there can that can help out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcfirefairy9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: how do I remove head rests from eurovan seats Reply with quote

OK, so here are some pictures of my 1995 Eurovan head rest post holes and the pin (hitch, hairpin, horseshoe style). The pin sits inside the slot with the two ends on one side and the closed loop end on the other. It wraps around the post (picture laying on top of post hole to demonstrate how it sits inside the slots). There are no buttons. To remove the pin, we had to use two small flathead screwdrivers to push on the ends of the pin at the same time. Head rest comes in and out easily with pin removed. Now for the new seat covers.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: