Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40hp muffler on a 36, does it matter?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: 40hp muffler on a 36, does it matter? Reply with quote

The other day I drove over to Mississippi to pick up an exhaust and some nice outer door handles for my '59. It was raining over there and was in a bit of a hurry to get back, so didn't really look over the muffler. I know, I know, how do you "overlook" a muffler. Well I can't answer that, but I did it. Shocked Anyhow, I noticed it bolted right up so I decided to use it! Is it gonna hurt anything? I don't see how it would.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: 40hp muffler on a 36, does it matter? Reply with quote

It fits because its not a 40hp muffler, its 36hp, just a later replacement. Even has 36hp written on it in the pic.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it bolts up ok, then no problem, but I'm still curious about it. Not saying it is one or the other, but the design of it looks like 40hp with the two piece seamed can. I believe on the 40hp mufflers the cast flange for the head/heat riser connection on the right side put the heat riser a bit further away from the head, perhaps as much as 3/16 to 1/4 inch. Did you have any trouble getting the heat riser to fit?
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It saved the manufacturer, making multiple stampings. Made both 40hp and 36hp out of the same stamping. Just located the pipes a little different, on the engine side.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
Did you have any trouble getting the heat riser to fit?

Really no problems with the fit. I did have to fudge the riser a hair, but no more than you usually have to. So far so good. Its up and running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: