Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck inner tie rod end
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhiaFreude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Stuck inner tie rod end Reply with quote

Trying to replace a tie rod end (left inner) and have used hammer, heat, pry bar, pry bar/hammer combo, lube, and hammer again and nothing will make it move...wont come out of swing arm for gear box...

suggestions? Smile

~1964 Ghia coupe "Freude"~
ovghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: stuck tie rod Reply with quote

pickle fork aka ball joint tool, there is also tool that slips over rod and uses a bolt to press against tie rod stud to remove, but you need right size. combination of tools and heat applied guickly should do it. I would guess the fuel tank is already removed ?!?. I used a pickle fork today to remove to ball joints on an old tractor with no problems. Be prepared to replace rubber seal if applicable as fork usually tears them up in removing. Check out search function uner "ball joint removal"
sepulvedac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tool is what I use and it works fine on the tie rod and ball joints...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the AutoZone free loaner tool to remove my VW tie rod ends. I liked it so much after two loans that I bought it. It's a puller, not a fork, but different than the one in that CIP1 link.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepulvedac wrote:
This tool is what I use and it works fine on the tie rod and ball joints...

Yes, nothing like the correct tool. I no longer use pickle forks because 1) they damage the boot, which isn't good if it's a case of wanting to save the tie-rod end, and 2) I've broken/bent pickle forks using them on stubborn tie-rod ends. I've used the above referenced tool and can say that it works beautifully when the knuckle has been given a few raps with a hammer beforehand.
sepulvedac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I usually do is soaked on PB Blaster the evening before working on removing it. The next day, I do not even have to hit with with a hammer, it comes right out.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hosspowerinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part are you hitting with the hammer? If its the bottom of the tie rod try instead hitting the side of the pitman arm where the tie rod is inserted. I do this for a living and have yet to come across one that hasnt popped loose with this method.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hosspowerinc wrote:
What part are you hitting with the hammer? If its the bottom of the tie rod try instead hitting the side of the pitman arm where the tie rod is inserted. I do this for a living and have yet to come across one that hasnt popped loose with this method.

X2, I do it for a living too.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greezy Joe wrote:
hosspowerinc wrote:

X2, I do it for a living too.

I've had some I'd love to have seem both of you try to remove with the above method. I've had other people here tell me, "Aw yeah, just hit the knuckle a few times and it'll pop out. Never fails." The last one, which broke my pickle fork, I was just shy of whacking with my 10lbs sledge. It just...wouldn't...budge. Heat, penetrant -- nothing.
ovghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: stuck tie rod end Reply with quote

x3. I do this for a living. I've also broken Snap On and Proto pickle forks, made from good American steel, not the cheap china s**t. Pre-soaking with a good penetrating oil for a few days really helps, but I think alot of us lack patience and have the git-r-dun attitude, myself included.
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: poor pitman Reply with quote

it can't be good for your steering box to bang on the pitman arm eye with a hammer.
sepulvedac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stay behind my method. Lucky me, I got plenty of patience when it comes to do the job the right way.
Again, soak it with PB Blaster the evening before, or if you have the time, two or three days before working on it. Then use the tool I mentioned above and presto, a five minute job. No heat, no breaking or bending parts, No torn of the boots. Easy and clean.

Last year I did not have the tool available. A friend showed up with his daughter and nephew. another friend came also. Between the four of them it took the best of three hours and all they took out was three of the tie rod ends and one ball joint. I got the tool ordered online, and when it showed up, since the ball joints and the tie rod where soaked on PB Blaster for the past week (every day I will spray more PB Blaster just for good measure. At the end I used the whole can on them, well worth it) it took me approximately 20 minutes to take all of it out of the car. Lesson learned. Now I have people borrowing the tool all the time and they love it.
Just my 2 cents.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: