Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much did this sell for? 1953 Barndoor 23 Window Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now the owner and I have no idea what it went for back on 2003 at auction. thanks to some vw enthusists(spelling?) these buses were saved and not crushed. I have no idea what the current market value is now, I only know what I paid and people said I paid too much. maybe I did but every day when I look at it I don't think that way.

would really appreciate input on the what would be the right way to go with this bus. although I've had a lot of vw's we know how far and few between the older ones are. I would like to keep this one for a long time for evryone to enjoy.

Thanks to Kintail and Kendall who really know the history of this bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lind. I would restore it like it is in the pictures that you have and enjoy it as it appears that he did. Just my 2 cents.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the photos are in color and the paint looks pretty nice in those photos makes me wonder if it was painted green/green in the 50s?

Was color photography even popular and wide-spread in the 1950s?

Are the photos dated?

Whatever the answers, the photos are really neat and you should restore it however you prefer.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kendalwpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
The fact that the photos are in color and the paint looks pretty nice in those photos makes me wonder if it was painted green/green in the 50s?

Are the photos dated?

Whatever the answers, the photos are really neat and you should restore it however you prefer.
There is German writing on the back of one of the pics. Mark, you should post it if it will come through on the scanner and maybe someone that knows German could translate it.
kendalwpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that swoopy trim looks ally to me. similar to the beltline trim
did it have wood in the space below?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(& what's that loop in the drivers window?)

Sorry, I wasn't refering to the swoopy trim as much as the other crap on the bus. There were wood strips above the rear wheels but the swoopy trim was aluminum with a rubber insert. It was similar to something you would see on a new RV. (camping trailer etc) There were no markings of any kind on it and it appeared to be a "custom jobbie". And the loop in the drivers window is what we call here in Canada a "frost shield". It was used alot in the '70's in veichles with poor defrosting in the winter. It was just a piece of plastic that stuck to the window to keep it from frosting up. Lots of VW's had them and they sure were ugly.
57Drag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pictures of the one behind the Green one?Looks like It has some Trim also?
kendalwpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

57Drag wrote:
Any pictures of the one behind the Green one?Looks like It has some Trim also?
Oh, the one behind has some trim alright! It was a 65 kombi that I believe rolled so Werner cut the back off and built his own single cab. The back of the cab and the bed are made from wood. Then he put some fancy panels on the doors and used it for his business which I believe was cabinet making. Scott would know more about this. It is actually pretty cool looking but very bastardized. I have it sitting by my boneyard with a load of VW parts on the back. Very Happy
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kintail wrote:
the "important prices" you quote are wrong.... and once again are rumour...
Really killing eveybody to get the price facts down isn't it..... and for what purpose Question

aw come on, its just interesting!
i know how much the previous owner of my dlx paid, and i just wanted to know cos its interesting! part of the history of the bus! & of the story of BD DLXs!
absolutely no problem if he made some $$$$...fair play to him if he did
(& i bet i'm not far out btw)
malik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kendall
I tried to scan it once and it was too light. I will try again later. I have had a lot of the mechanicals done and the bus is running. Just need to get on the body work with some of Gersen's panels.
mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57Drag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you start a Thread on your body work,or a photobucket site w/ the link so we could all keep track .I'm not a bus owner but have lots of friends in my area that are.I'm thinking of getting a splitty..I'm sure it will need lots of work as most of them do....Donald
Box on Wheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay with the two-tone green look if you are going to restore it.
67 Titian Red SO-42 Pop-Top walk-thru Westfalia
64 Safari Beige Sunroof Notchback
97 993 S Coupe
97 993 Cabriolet
04 996 C4S Coupe

God, guts, and guns made America great!
Live free or Die
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kendalwpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malik wrote:
Hey Kendall
I tried to scan it once and it was too light. I will try again later. I have had a lot of the mechanicals done and the bus is running. Just need to get on the body work with some of Gersen's panels.
mark
That's great Mark. Glad to see that you are making it happen. Kendal
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen Malik's BD up close and i can admit that i was skeptical when i remembered seeing it in earlier pics when it was on TheSamba but when i saw it up close "it had me at Hello"!! Good luck with it Mark and i will have to swing by again once the weather gets warm and we can shoot the shite!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Are the photos dated?

Kodak introduced Kodachrome (Kodachrome is the oldest successfully mass-marketed color still film) in the late 1930's.

These photos are square, and square prints were really popular in the 1950's and the 1960's. Square prints that are color tend to be from the 1960's though.

Malik, do these photos measure 3.5"x3.5"?
malik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. These pictures are 3.5x3.5.
Should this bus have a large grab handle on the bulkhead?
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

my theory on this is that these Primer Buses weren’t actually the bare primer (ie gray) from the factory, but left the factory in that brown beige (or at least parts of the interior were painted in the brown beige)

I guess it depends on the model of bus then, my bus has no trace of 'brown beige' paint on it anywhere. I'm pretty sure it was just grey all over.

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
kintail wrote:
Really killing eveybody to get the price facts down isn't it..... and for what purpose Question
i know how much the previous owner of my dlx paid, and i just wanted to know cos its interesting! part of the history of the bus! & of the story of BD DLXs!

price is really touchy, and it is very common to get wrong answers. I watched a friend of mine sell one bus and buy another. I saw both transactions go down, and I knew both prices. later, I heard him quote a higher price for the bus he sold and a lower price for the bus he bought. this is common.

frankly I don't care if people know what I paid or what I sold something for. my memory isn't good enough to lie about those things. anyway, it doesn't matter what someone paid, its what it is worth. (both high and low) yesterdays high dollar prices are todays low dollar prices.

i.e. someone else's price doesn't matter, and you don't know if you are getting a real price anyway.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
RockStock wrote:
kintail wrote:

price is really touchy, and it is very common to get wrong answers. I watched a friend of mine sell one bus and buy another. I saw both transactions go down, and I knew both prices. later, I heard him quote a higher price for the bus he sold and a lower price for the bus he bought. this is common.

frankly I don't care if people know what I paid or what I sold something for. my memory isn't good enough to lie about those things. anyway, it doesn't matter what someone paid, its what it is worth. (both high and low) yesterdays high dollar prices are todays low dollar prices.

i.e. someone else's price doesn't matter, and you don't know if you are getting a real price anyway.

true. i think i got "lind's old standard" pretty cheap, now.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

I remember seeing this bus decades ago and spent some time with Werner talking about it. Where's it at these days?

Don
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just saw it last weekend. it's safe.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: