Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help ID this case.. Early ARPM??
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Help ID this case.. Early ARPM?? Reply with quote

Can you guys help me id this case?.. It has no cooling fins on the bottom and no numbers.

thanks, risk

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by risk on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:21 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely a Todd Francis T-F 2-piece. Very nice case to have....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very nice case
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is up with that flange mounted on the front of the crank? Mount for a flexplate?

I don't think electrickery works that way
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came out of a mini sprint... i think they may run a flexplate
turboedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mail it to me and I will let you know Very Happy

Instagram BoostedPower_ check me out!

Youtube channel!

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCS4MUNXfeo3ZV9t2v4Wu-6A

Build thread video collection

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752062&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are called a TF-1.... Look Here.

http://store.averysaircooled.com/merchant2/merchan...de=Offroad

I'm pretty sure it would be marked on the outside. If it is a TF-1, it has a dropped cam and Type IV style cam gears.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after getting the case back to my shop, i found an 82mm Okrasa crank inside, and a bugpack 4062 cam.. i don't think its a TF1 though, it doesn't have a dropped cam
jeff denham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks more like an early ARPM. i thought tods full flow was routed different than ARPM even his early ones. JD .
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this in a parts deal with some other old midget racer stuff.. the seller told me that he thought they machined the casting marks off for some reason. It looks just like the arpm case they show in the book "vw interchange manual", minus the big arpm letters on the sump.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pic of the case...

Maybe this is an early bugpack race case??
2manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a ARPM case. In the first picture you can see where there is a parting line cast into the case right between the oil pressure piston bores. This was done because they used cores to make the oil galleys instead of drilling them. I have heard of builders that have had trouble with ARPM cases oiling properly and never could figure out why they did not work right. We kind of think from time to time the cores colapsed during the casting process and the galley was not compeletly clear like is should be. You cannot look through to see because the holes were not straight. The TF-1 is all drilled so no cores were needed. Another clue that it is a ARPM is that there is a cast in oil pickup right at the sump drain hole. A TF-1 does not have that. ARPM cases were usually numbered. I have seen ARPM cases as high as 850 or so. I wonder if it is a early case that was sold before they started numbering them. I raced a ARPM years ago and had excelent luck with it. It was amazing the torture it took. That is why the TF-1 was designed like it only with several updates. New machining tecniques are available now that you could not do when the ARPM cases were made. Good luck with the case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they didn't stamp ARPM in the sides of the sump on some of them?.. After cleaning it up some and looking it over really well, i found #721 stamped on each half at the bottom of the sump.

I've steam cleaned it twice already and get a good stream through all the oil galleys... plus i did the HVX mod on the lifter oiling circuit so i should be good. thanks for the info!!
2manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is a fairly late ARPM. I had case 820 or so and it was not milled with ARPM on the sump either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... thanks 2manybugs!.. not alot of info on this case out there.

Anything else i need to know about it?.. It came with a 82mm crank but i think it would clear an 86mm or even bigger.
2manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would easilly go with a 86 crank and if you clearanced it enough you could go as much as a 94 crank with a drop cam case and you won't grind through. Didn't you say you had a drop cam case? A couple of things come to mind about this case. Did you make sure the main oiling holes line up completely with the main bearing grooves properly? I can't see in the pictures but is the groove in the mating surface of the case directly under the crank seal offset from the mainseal enough so it can flow oil? In other words when you put the seal in will the seal block off the groove? If so that may be a problem causing oil to blow past the seal. You mentioned you did the HVX mod. You should be cautious about that. With a big oil pump you may just end up pumping all of the oil up into the heads and starve the oil pickup. These cases had fairly large oil gallies through the lifters (actually they were stepped, getting smaller past each lifter) If you put a lifter into the bore closest to the flywheel end of the case and look take the plug out of the oil galley you will probabaly see that you can see both of the lifter grooves throughout a complete cycle of the cam so it will oil the head all of the time even without putting a notch between the grooves in the lifter. It is ok if it does not pump so much oil to the heads that there is time for the oil to get back to the sump without starving the pump but I have had ARPM engines pump all of the oil up into the valve covers snd starve the pickup because all of the oil in the heads and I think the large oil passage is the cause. The Germans made the two grooves on the lifters and the 6.1MM oil passage for a reason.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the oiling problems you are referring to were only with the early cases. From what I've read the later cases don't have those issues. As far as the stepped lifter oil galley, the only step is where it is drilled larger on the flywheel end for the 1/8" NPT tap size. I installed a lifter there and checked it at full lift, then at no lift. The grooves are only both in view at about half lift. This will allow oil to pass through, however it only occurs on the end lifters. I think the HVX mod is actually an advantage here, since it allows all the lifters to pass oil throughout the lift cycle.

Thanks for the tip on the rear main seal drain, it was blocked some, not all the way though. I did some light clearancing there to give it some more flow to drain back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: