Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Winston's Cigarette Lighter: The Horror
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, that's fine, although you would want to be careful not to have more loads in total than the original power circuit would handle, since all you're doing is extending it. I wouldn't go over 15A in total.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd try and replace the cigarette lighter with something that would adequately secure a 12V accessory plug and actually fit in the dash tightly. Got my hands up in behind the dash to poke around ..... that got me nowhere. Fired up theSamba and read the posts. Helpful, yes. Questions fully answered ? No. The lighter is still in.

The posted pics show that there is a metal electrical connection prong on the metal barrel of the lighter. There is a black part connected to the green plastic bezel. What is this for ?

Now the 'horror' of MY story is that I had my gps power cable/usb running up through the ashtray opening to the windshield. When not in use I just dropped it down, out of sight below the ashtray on top of the stereo headunit and the power end drops into the glove box. While poking blindly around behind the cigarette lighter something shorted. Sparks and smoke !! Turns out the usb end of the power cord found it's way down to this area and touched the metal barrel of the lighter, I'm assuming. Fried the usb connection. That really "Made my flippin' Day".
No blown fuse and lighter still operational. So it's a trip to the electronics store for a new power cable. 30 bucks or so.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is not the green plastic bezel for the led which shows some light around the cigarette lighter? I replaced mine and that is what it was for but as I broke it, no light but everything else is fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redcanoe,

hey, sympathies for the lighter fun.

If you do manage to get the lighter out (and it is a little awkward) replace it with an aftermarket unit from marine store. I finally did this after years of living with stick lighter - ipod stalk mount did not fit tight into it and I had to make a brace - and the new socket it s nice and tight.

I got mine at west marine, it fit quite tightly in stock hole.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
redcanoe,

hey, sympathies for the lighter fun.

If you do manage to get the lighter out (and it is a little awkward) replace it with an aftermarket unit from marine store. I finally did this after years of living with stick lighter - ipod stalk mount did not fit tight into it and I had to make a brace - and the new socket it s nice and tight.

I got mine at west marine, it fit quite tightly in stock hole.

alistair

Which one? Pics?

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redcanoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alistair

Suspect that it will still be on my todo list by the next "Victoria Westy Club" meet. We can chat about it's removal then perhaps. Blind I certainly can't figure out what is going on back there. Perhaps I can poke at the green tabs inside the barrel and get it to release and then see how things are connected. Still don't know what the black plastic piece is on the side of the green insert (photos).

Randy
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black plastic piece holds the bulb that illuminates the green ring.
this link will describe how to take unit out http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151026
Go westy has replacement that will hold the 12v plugs better than the oem or any after market 12v socket will work if it fits in the hole, but it might not be illuminated.
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4471&category_id=341&category_parent_id=

Don't forget to pull fuse or disconnect battery.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redcanoe...

It's kinda hard (for me) to describe the contortions needed to remove the stock receptacle. The green ring holds the body which is tabbed...

I have a spare stock part which we can look at at next vic. meeting.

the alternate receptacle I mentioned looks a bit like the one pictured on this page, the one with the plug inserted:

http://images.westmarine.com/large/6867923.jpg

The socket alone was purchased, not like the socket imaged, but like the socket and plug pair.

part number SC-3028-1P-B if that helps. I went to local outlet and looked at racks to choose.

its not illuminated though, but that is not a big deal IMHO.

alistair
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be able to use the silver socket on my '84 as well as my cigarette lighter.
is this what I need?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

from here
http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4757798&showprevnext=1
has anyone ordered one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted some pics and a brief explanation as to how to remove stock lighter socket on my blog here:
http://shufti.wordpress.com/

hope it helps redcanoe, so you can get on with the job and not have to wait for the next Victoria meeting Smile

cheers

alistair

PS. for silver socket plugs, John Deere and BMW dealers are 2 places to ask.

also, gleaned from vanagon faq (don't know if trim shop still sells them though):

"** SILVER SOCKET ** if you have a strange-looking silver socket on your
bus/vanagon dash, it is a German accessory socket
(used pretty much as we use the cigarette lighter
socket). and here's some folks with other stuff
for it.
The Trim Shop (800) 966-7791
4112 North 25th Street (602) 955-7791
Phoenix, AZ 85016 (602) 381-0933 fax

12 Volt Dash Panel Accessories
Does your car have this jack?
We are often asked about this part...what is it for? Do you
have anything that plugs into it? Well, now you are in luck! The
Trim Shop has a complete line of accessories that plug into the
original (European-type) 12 volt accessory jack:
*Trouble Lamp - a drop light with a cord. Enough to change a tire
or check your engine. Also comes with universal plug that will
work with any cigarette lighter plug. Intro Price: $35
*Reading Lamp - For that extra light you sometimes need for a map,
or just to find stuff in the front seat. $22
*Plug Socket - If your car didn't have this connector, or you want
to add an extra in the engine or luggage compartment. $17.50
*Angle Plug - This plug will fit flat against your dash. Use with
any 12 volt accessory such as a tire pump, cell phone, or
spot light. $8
*Straight Plug - Same as Angle Plug, except not with angle. $8
*Universal Plug - This connector will fit the dash socket and it
will also fit into a standard cigarette lighter socket $12"
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I post this, as it would be useful
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/04/belkin-nubbin-t/
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Belkin Micro Chargers look like an excellent mobile solution for our USB powered toys.
Think I'm gonna get a couple to keep in my gloveboxes
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Micro+Aut...scoring=tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed 3 VW OEM cigarette lighters (3 different vehicles). They are a pita! Just converted all to 12V outlets for various uses. The original design of the original cig lighter IMHO was stupid. The lighter was soooo small and ended up being flush with the dash! Must have been the same designer who designed that stupid connecting rod between the pedal and the accelerator at the front ggggrrrrrrr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: 12v outlets Reply with quote

I bought this one at a West Marine for $20.00. Black; it has a shoulder ring on the outside of the dash and a screw-on retaining ring on the inside. Clean and simple.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/electrical/mar-12vrc.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that yesterday I finally replaced the lighter with a 12V socket. At first, it wasn't going too well. I finally got the wire plug off and realized after several attempts that there was no way I was getting that stupid bulb holder off from the back. Now what?

r39o wrote:
Once you get the snaps pushed out, which makes little sense while you are cursing away in the van, then you can push the center part (metal) out. Once you do that, you can wiggle the assembly out. You can NOT get the assembly out of the hole with out disengaging the sanps.

Here's what I discovered: I was able to push/pull the lighter out of the hole up to the point where that bulb holder sits (I used pliers on the green ring). I then bent the metal tab inside the lighter enough to get a small screwdriver into the slot behind it where the brown half of the bulb holder sits. The bulb holder is in two parts: upper brown part, lower black part. The brown part snaps onto the green ring, while the black part slides onto the white electrical connector and snaps into the brown part's retaining tab. Push/pry that brown piece off and you can then pull the entire bulb assembly off and pull the lighter all the way out of the hole complete with green trim ring. No need to use three hands to struggle to get that green trim ring off first. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: 2 and 3 prong lighters Reply with quote

I was playing with my cig lighter the other day. I bought a new VW one a while back ago. The new one is a 3 prong.(top) The one in my van is a 2 prong.(bottom)

This older one need a "hot" wire going to the light.
The newer one does not need this seperate wire as the light gets it's power from the 3rd prong in the connector.
I do not know when VW switched to the 3 prong. Mine is a 83 1/2.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this other day. I replaced the original cigarette lighter with a $5 12v socket from FLAPS. Based on information from this thread, I was able to better understand how the whole thing goes together.

My technique was to drop the glove box. Reach up behind the lighter assembly. Grabbed hold of the brown plug and easily pulled it right off the back. I then grabbed the black piece that was still attached to the back of the green receptacle, gripped it tight with my fingers, and gave a side-to-side tug. Ripped that sucker right off! It was then a piece of cake to push the lighter assembly out the hole.

My new unit is a slightly smaller diameter, so I used the Dremel to cut the illuminating lip off the green plastic assembly (could just use a hacksaw), and used that as a washer.

I snipped off the power wire and grounds. Connected them up to the new assembly, and was good to go. Using that green plastic lip as a washer keeps it looking pretty stock. Only difference is now I have a 12v-accessory plastic cap on the front instead of a cigarette lighter.
Bilstein Shocks
16" Mefros, Cooper Discoverer AT3 (215-70-16)
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice on how to get the green plastic ring off the metal cylinder? What tool did you guys use?

My socket from GoWesty was snapped together when I got it, and I can't seem to get get the pieces apart.
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that I just used a flat screwdriver to pry the tabs from their holes. Looking at the picture of the GoWesty unit (assuming your talking about the illuminated lighter), it might be slightly different.

Do you even need to separate the green sleeve from the socket unit? Can you just slide the whole thing in and connect the plugs from the back?

On the original unit, the green sleeve also has raised tabs going outward that hold it into the dash. Is that how the GoWesty unit works?

For my installation, I used a FLAPS version that had a slightly smaller diameter, so I needed to cut all of the green sleeve off except for the lip, which I then used as a washer. It is now held in place with a screw on sleeve (which came with the FLAPS socket) that connects from behind. There is also a metal washer (NOT SHOWN IN THE PICTURE BELOW), that came with the kit and goes between the screw-on sleeve and the backside of the dash.

Bilstein Shocks
16" Mefros, Cooper Discoverer AT3 (215-70-16)
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to renew an old thread, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in about the new lighted gowesty cig lighter...

I JUST installed my new lighted gowesty cig lighter. This thread was instrumental in me getting the old one out. I am not super happy with the new unit, mostly because it is TOO much like the original german one. It is too shallow, and while it is more snug than the 20 odd year old one I just removed, it still can turn around in its hole and wobbles a bit. I purchased one from small car a while back, if I can find it in my pile of projects for the vanagon I will report back here if its any better. It does have a different retaining method than some plastic tabs, so as long as it fits next to my westy A/C controls it should be fine...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: