Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Took the kids camping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Took the kids camping Reply with quote

This past weekend was our first camping trip as a family of 5 in our 84 Westy. I spent the previous night until about 11:00 finishing up the installation of the middle seat. I got the idea for the middle seat here (thanks to all who offered advice). The arrangement was quite simple. Me and our 4 year old daughter up top, my wife and 2 year old son on the bottom, and our 6 week old in a bouncy seat close by for nursing purposes. I backed the van up so our 2 year old could have a view of the campfire and know that we were all there. The kids absolutely loved it! Next up is bamboo floors (since the flooring was pulled out to attach the seat rails) and Gary Lee's front child cot. Then it's off to see Jack Johnson in July and Jimmy Buffett in August. Yes, with the kids!
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I love hearing family camping trips. I spent the better part of my summers as a kid (25 years or so ago, now) on road trips in a vanagon, and have very fond memories of it... I am sure they will, too.

I suppose my wife has memories of driving around in vanagons and bays as a kid, too, but her dad wasn't mechanically inclined like mine, so her memories are more along the lines of pushing big heavy things along the side of the road, and catching auto-popping pop tops at 65mph...

So for better kid memories, keep up the good van work! Wink
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping with friends and family are what it's all about.
My wife and I just went to see Jimmy buffet in the woodlands texas. Awesome show!
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go! We are a family of five in a -85 Westy. We get about on e trip in a year, not near enough!

I have the factory solo seat, how does your seat differ? I'm thinking I may chase down a Carat jump seat to replace it though.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
Way to go! We are a family of five in a -85 Westy. We get about on e trip in a year, not near enough!

I have the factory solo seat, how does your seat differ? I'm thinking I may chase down a Carat jump seat to replace it though.

Yes, do! It's nice to have the seat fold out of the way for a bit of extra room. Ingress and egress are made easier, too.

To the OP, congrats on the first of many future outings. The kids will form such amazing memories. You'll also begin to establish some routines and work out systems to make the camping easier. Slowing down and enjoying yourselves is what it's all about.
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, very cool. Same here with memories - did it as a kid in my parents' bus and doing it now with my kids. They dig it too. I sleep up top with the 7 y.old and Mom downstairs with the 3 y.old. HOWEVER, at 3, and with a top bed 'extension' we made, inspired from this site, I'm thinking this summer is the one for both kids up top!
We'll see.
Definitely enjoy. Definitely get familiar with the bus operation. Definitely consider AAA Wink
I've got the first, trying on the second, and have the basic membership on the third!
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Here too... Reply with quote

Have been camping with our Hi Top since the birth of our first - (now nearly 4) and his smaller bro (now nearly 2).
We do a two week trip each year plus several long weekenders - sometimes in driveways, sometimes campsites and sometimes wild.

Both kids really seem to love it - the hi top bed is a great play area and storage - and bed for the older one - the rear parcel shelf is ideal for the baby (until he goes upstairs soon).

If you can be organised, remember where you put stuff (and we can hide a LOT of stuff in the Hi top and around the van) then it is easy enough four in the van. We choose not to take an awning - instead a good small tent for gear (child seats - out first) storage when we are stopping more than one night. It can be pretty windy ont he Scottish Islands and Highlands and awnings can be .... tested!

Off to the Shetland Islands (off the top end of the British Isles) next week for a couple of weeks - lots of ferries/island hopping, beaches, wind, birdlife and mini-adventures -(adventures for a 4 year old!)

Example here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=st+ninians...h&z=14

Can watch the tide cutting you off from in front and behind Shocked
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Took the kids camping Reply with quote

jeffklein wrote:
Then it's off to see Jack Johnson in July and Jimmy Buffett in August. Yes, with the kids!

I'm taking my 7 year-old daughter to see Jack Johnson in August. This will be her first festival; I'm so proud and very excited to let her in on this experience Very Happy.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:

I found my middle seat in Maine and a buddy of mine from NH picked it up and brought it to me in Rochester last fall. It is the 2 seater mid from a regular Vanagon. It came with the rails and all hardware too! I think I paid like 75 bucks for it. We have 2 extra car seats for the kids that we keep attached to it all the time. As soon as we get to our site, it slides right out and goes under a tarp in case of rain. It ranks right up there with changing my fuel lines as one of the best things I've done to our van so far.

I am using a computer at work and my wife is trying to clean up a problem with our computer at home. If that gets resolved soon, I'll post pics.
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:
My wife and I just went to see Jimmy buffet in the woodlands texas. Awesome show!

We took it to Buffett last year in Pittsburgh and you should've seen the looks on everybody's faces in the parking lot when they found out that we didn't have to walk all the way to the porta-potties to go to the bathroom. It was priceless!
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koolmoe wrote:
Yeap, very cool. Same here with memories - did it as a kid in my parents' bus and doing it now with my kids. They dig it too. I sleep up top with the 7 y.old and Mom downstairs with the 3 y.old. HOWEVER, at 3, and with a top bed 'extension' we made, inspired from this site, I'm thinking this summer is the one for both kids up top!
We'll see.
Definitely enjoy. Definitely get familiar with the bus operation. Definitely consider AAA Wink
I've got the first, trying on the second, and have the basic membership on the third!
KM

LOL! AAA was actually done before fuel lines!
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping with children is special.
They see the adventure in it like adults do.

as the camping years go by the memories will be sweet.

They will allways remember the sound of the sliding door, whenever they hear it in their adult life it will draw a smile.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffklein wrote:
Williamtaylor33 wrote:

We took it to Buffett last year in Pittsburgh and you should've seen the looks on everybody's faces in the parking lot when they found out that we didn't have to walk all the way to the porta-potties to go to the bathroom. It was priceless!
A porta potty is handy at a Jimmy buffett concert considering all the beer that is served. I need a parrothead magnet for the westy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: