Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yakima box on top of camper pop-up?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Yakima box on top of camper pop-up? Reply with quote

Can a Yakima box go on top of the camper pop-up? We need more room for bags, pillows, etc. and thought we'd put a rack and box up there. It would be emptied out before the pop-up would be pushed up. I have a 1982 Vanagon camper.

Thanks!
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: box Reply with quote

Hey..I get to say it first....Welcome...and change your fuel lines!

Yes a box can go up there.

Brian.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the biggest box Yakima makes on mine. Works great. More for camp chairs, tables, grills, bike wheels, dirty gear, etc.

Search for pop top shocks. Then you don't have to unload to lift.
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: yakima box Reply with quote

Absolutely!!!! Also, I highly recommend Jack Bombay's pop top shocks. Best mod I've ever done to my Westy. If you think you might want to install the shocks I'd install them first and then install your roof rack mounts so there isn't any interference between the bolts. Some guys have combined the rear rack mount and pop top shock together to reduce the number of holes drilled.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=798951

Scott
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: yakima box Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:
Some guys have combined the rear rack mount and pop top shock together to reduce the number of holes drilled.

I think this /\ is a good way to go, if you do decide to use the shock ball mount as one of the bolts for the "artificial rain gutter" (ARG/rack mount) I can send you longer ball mount to make sure you have a long enough threaded section with the additional thickness of the ARG.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: shocks Reply with quote

I have the link saved to my desktop. It's my next purchase for sure. Just a matter of timing...and sweet talking...and asking for help lifting the top...one too many times. hehehehehehe
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yakima box on top of camper pop-up? Reply with quote

Reyes wrote:
Can a Yakima box go on top of the camper pop-up? We need more room for bags, pillows, etc. and thought we'd put a rack and box up there. It would be emptied out before the pop-up would be pushed up. I have a 1982 Vanagon camper.

Thanks!

Exact set-up I have been running for three years. Works great. I'm adding Jack's pop top helpers because the beast is heavy.
Reyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the information, and Brian, thanks for the welcome. Changing fuel lines is a bit out of my know-how league, but I am curious why they need to be changed?

Disclaimer: I am not mechanically inclined at all Smile
CQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reyes,

I think you are about to open a can of worms with that comment. Because that is probably the most important thing you can do, right there with making sure you have brakes.

Check out Page 3 of this discussion for nasty pictures.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=40
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question:
Reyes wrote:
Thanks so much for the information, and Brian, thanks for the welcome. Changing fuel lines is a bit out of my know-how league, but I am curious why they need to be changed?

Answer:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Pay someone to replace your fuel lines. After driving around for over a year without knowing about this issue I was shocked to see one of my injector hoses leaking right on top of my exhaust system. Shocked

Our vans are old and operate with a fairly high fuel pressure. Hoses get old and fail. The whole exhaust system wraps around this engine creating a poor environment for any fuel leak.

Make sure whoever you get to replace your hoses uses proper materials, namely good clamps specifically made for fuel injection as well as quality fuel injection hose. Take a look at the fuel hose kits from Van Cafe or Go Westy to get an idea of quality products.

The other problem you should probably look in to is the plastic firewall fuel hose connector. It becomes brittle over time and should be removed. Most of us have either completely removed it and have run the fuel hose through the firewall protected by a grommet or you can buy a metal reproduction that one of our members produces. Not sure who it is. I personally believe the connector was to facilitate assembly line operation and isn't necessary.

Regardless this isn't an issue you should take lightly. There are plenty of people here that would be willing to help you though the process.

Scott

Last edited by scottjk on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read on a different (older) thread that fuel lines don't need to be replaced with diesel engines. Is this correct?

Thanks so much.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do need if they are bad.Specially the clear ones on the injection pump.

It won't get in fire as easily,that's it. Wink
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have my yakima box loaded with lots of stuff an i also have jack bombays shocks the heavy duty ones and i was dissapointed by them

I am a strapping 25 year old and am about to have a freaking hearnia with my long board and box with it loaded. but what can i say i do have about 100 lbs of stuff up there + a surf board

just thought the shocks would help more than they did
1964 vespa vbb 150
1973 vespa sprint
2005 toyota tacoma Ole reliable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIRATE wrote:
i have my yakima box loaded with lots of stuff an i also have jack bombays shocks the heavy duty ones and i was dissapointed by them

I am a strapping 25 year old and am about to have a freaking hearnia with my long board and box with it loaded. but what can i say i do have about 100 lbs of stuff up there + a surf board

just thought the shocks would help more than they did

You should mount the cargo box as far back as possible. This makes it much easier to lift. I load mine to the hilt and it goes up pretty easily because it is almost hanging off the back. Before I put the shocks on it was impossible for one person to lift it.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more vote for the pop top shocks. I'd say they are mandatory if you have a cargo box. Get the heavy duty ones.

Avoid putting heavy stuff in the cargo box. Use it for pillows, camp chairs, sleeping bags, duffel bag of of extra clothing, etc.

Yes, mounting the box farther back makes it easier to lift, but then you may need a ladder to access it. Mounting the box forward allows you to use the front right seat as a step to access your stuff without a ladder.

It's a trade off, but I like the box mounted toward the front so I can more easily get inside it.

Cheers,
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Get the heavy duty ones.

Yes, mounting the box farther back makes it easier to lift, but then you may need a ladder to access it. Mounting the box forward allows you to use the front right seat as a step to access your stuff without a ladder.

Cheers,
CJ

I agree to get the heavy duty ones, the regular ones won't cut it for loads on top. My personal preference is to use a ladder to get to my cargo box. I load lots of heavy stuff up there. It also gives me a place to carry my extra gas.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: My Load Reply with quote

I have a triple level board carrier - heavy steel and I generally carry at least 3 boards along with my rocket box full of sails, booms, and chairs. Before hd shocks = 3 people to lift, after hd shocks I can do it myself. It takes effort but it makes life much easier.
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought i ordered the hd shocks but i better check because mine is impossible to get up with rocket box and surfboards mabey he sent me the wrong ones
1964 vespa vbb 150
1973 vespa sprint
2005 toyota tacoma Ole reliable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the info. As far as the yakima rack, can a auto body place install the racks for me, or would I take it to a mechanic? Also, my pop-up does not go at a diagonal, it is horizontal when lifted (it is a country homes pop-up).

It sounds like I should order to heavy duty shocks to have those installed at the same time as the yakima rack?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: