Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer square drive size at the wheel? (Vanagon 2wd)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Speedometer square drive size at the wheel? (Vanagon 2wd) Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm with a micrometer what size the square drive end of the speedometer cable is at the wheel hub (not at the speedometer)?

I checked it at 5.2mm (0.2047 inch). Confused
This is not quite metric sizing as square metric broaches are only sized in whole mm increments, ie 5mm.

I am embarking on a project to replace the stock vanagon wheel steel grease caps with aluminum type and I have to purchase a broach to get the speedo drive working.

Anyone care to run out and measure?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked one, I got 5.25mm (.207")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to pull out my Machinery Handbook. What an odd size...
Alternatively, We should measure the grease cap hole size, that is what I am trying to replicate...will post it later tonight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: