Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i hate fathers day
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its ok, my Dad is hard to reach, he drinks, lives in San diego. he has not seen my son in over two years. ive accepted the fact that hes gone and its sad he did so much for us but in the end it all fell aprt. wierd but thats why i stay on top of things. my fathers day was not the best either. i spent my money on a music festival Saturday, and got shit when i wanted to work on my bus Sunday. then she wonders why her mothers days are fucked every year too. payback is a mother. Evil or Very Mad
HotRodedXXX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father decided on Wednesday that his life wasn't worth living and attempted suicide. Just another train wreck.

Things could always be worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

Now how about a little kumbyah....anyone want smores?

"it takes a village"...whatta a load of new age crap,an angle on the commune theory without the best part...the free love...

"it takes a village" was a buncha feel good crap made up to shift responsibility of parents actions or lack of actions and responsibility upon a general public.
a poor attempt to make it all cute and justify defective social programs run by people who don't care.
personal responsibility is what it takes,
for yourself and what you make.

sorry about your dad shiningstar76, but it also looks like you don't need him to be the best you can be.

actually, gentlemen...its an ancient African social proverb, where all life and culture began. New Age?? at least get your facts straight before spouting off. You are of course entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I look at it from the perspective of my church family, and relying on community effort to set the example of living well, and acting like a civilized person that treats people as they wish to be treated.

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

millerje78 wrote:
Foxx wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

"it takes a village"...whatta a load of new age crap,an angle on the commune theory without the best part...the free love...

"it takes a village" was a buncha feel good crap made up to shift responsibility of parents actions or lack of actions and responsibility upon a general public.
a poor attempt to make it all cute and justify defective social programs run by people who don't care.

sorry about your dad shiningstar76, but it also looks like you don't need him to be the best you can be.

actually, gentlemen...its an ancient African social proverb, where all life and culture began. New Age?? at least get your facts straight before spouting off. You are of course entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I look at it from the perspective of my church family, and relying on community effort to set the example of living well, and acting like a civilized person that treats people as they wish to be treated.

Taken in its best light that is the true meaning....Problem is everytime I see "it takes a village" I can hear Hillary sayin it...and that IMO wipes away any chance it has pertaining to christian brotherhood...
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotRodedXXX wrote:
My father decided on Wednesday that his life wasn't worth living and attempted suicide. Just another train wreck.

Mine followed through with it a few years ago. He never got to meet his grandson. That really sucks.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millerje78 wrote:
Foxx wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

yes, i know the origins of it and the ghost writer (Barbara Feinman) that got no credit for her work on the book too and how it turned into some bullshit catch phrase to justify pawing your kids and responsibility off to someone else.
that was fine and good for Africa, when all, including food, was shared with the community and a TRUE Communism was practiced without greed, but it doesn't mean crap in today's society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Village

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
millerje78 wrote:
Foxx wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

yes, i know the origins of it and the ghost writer (Barbara Feinman) that got no credit for her work on the book too and how it turned into some bullshit catch phrase to justify pawing your kids and responsibility off to someone else.
that was fine and good for Africa, when all, including food, was shared with the community and a TRUE Communism was practiced without greed, but it doesn't mean crap in today's society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Village

Yep..."it takes a village" ...bunch a perverts Very Happy ...look what it did for sub saharan Africa...Aids,famine,genocide,vast areas ruled by warlords by the point of a gun. Here in the states a lack of personal responsibility in raising children has all kinds of ramifications...I believe our "it takes a village" mentality has led to a higher rate of parental abandonment...in the old days if ya left yer kids their standard of living hit the bottom,and society as a whole considered it aberrant behavior to do so.Today the foster care system,welfare and child support garnishment allow the parent an "out",an excuse to justify their abandonment...the children are cared for in their eyes, and they are free to self indulge.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine told me my shop was too little too late and wasn't going to talk to me until i have changed what i am doing.

i told my mom it's not going to stop anytime soon.

on the plus side my step-dad is pretty legit and we had a good bbq.

back to the shop for the day....
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great fathers day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanhag wrote:

Me too!

And on the plus side, Foxx and Johnny aren't related to me! Win, Win!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my dad, he's the best father in the world.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee. wrote:
HotRodedXXX wrote:

Mine followed through with it a few years ago. He never got to meet his grandson. That really sucks.

Sorry to hear that lee. .
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Vanhag wrote:

Me too!

Same here.
Have had issues with my father in the past but got over it and he has made up for his short comings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

indeed,.. my day looks better and better as it progresses
Laughing

MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father died on '05 and I miss him every day. He wasn't perfect, but he tried.

Sorry for those that don't have a good relationship. Personally I've been lucky with my family, but I never understood the "it's family, you have to like them" mentality

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBreeze wrote:
My father died on '05 and I miss him every day. He wasn't perfect, but he tried.

Sorry for those that don't have a good relationship. Personally I've been lucky with my family, but I never understood the "it's family, you have to like them" mentality

mine passed in 92,i still miss him.

johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Vanhag wrote:

Me too!

it takes a village....to house an idiot...
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
Lee. wrote:
HotRodedXXX wrote:

Sorry to hear that lee. .

I knew that, Lee, but it still hurts to hear it. The thought has passed through my alleged brain on occasion----but I always chicken out.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went camping with my son at a VW show on Fathers Day. We drank a few beers together, talked about life, women and politics and watched the stars and fireflies. It was a very good day.

My father died years ago and I always felt lonely and hurt on Fathers Day, but now I am the Father, and it's it's a good thing now.

Hold tight fellows, most things change with time...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Father's day was great. On saturday we took dad out for brunch and then on Sunday I spent most of the day hauling a VW home with him. I then went for supper with my in-laws for my father in law.

Pretty good weekend.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: