Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do I stop this leak?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nybugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: how do I stop this leak? Reply with quote

I have a stock 1600 vw that was rebuilt over the winter. It seems that every time I drive it I notice that I have what seems to be oil seeping out of the passenger side manifold boot and down onto my motor shield. It isn't a lot but it is a drip still the same.I have checked the hose clamp around the boot and it is tight. Should there be oil in there in the first place or might I have something else going on.Doesn't seem to affect the way it runs but it is bugging me that I have to wipe it down after every ride.Any ideas how to stop it once and for all.Thanks for any help.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the oil is not coming from the oil fill cap, or the crankcase breather?
That will drip about onto that boot.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viperbgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a pic if you can. There is plenty of knowledge on here to help you figure it out !!

I agree with the above post, might be coming from one of those places, remember, oil (fluids in general) always follow gravity and drip at the lowest point but can be coming from up higher.

Dune Buggies are unequaled in "smiles per mile"
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be the oil filler can (the thing the cap screws on to). That thing often rusts through at the bottom, creating a tiny hole.
It's probably because of water condense in there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nybugguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys ...I think your right about the filler can/cap area dripping down.Appreciate your wisdom!!
Paganothj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same issue. You need to turn your oil filler. This is how it SHOULD NOT look
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I Turned mine and zero drips.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: