Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tencentlife / Vanistan Motors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Tencentlife / Vanistan Motors Reply with quote

Aloha

It appears to be the time for the most expensive item I can put into the 91 Westfalia Syncro. I would like to do this once, actually I would prefer never to do it. Time where does it go now that I am old. It used to be something I looked forward to doing in a VW and could pull them in less than 45 minutes and be running the same day. I doubt I will be so lucky. Life just seems to be way to complicated right now and for the money and time I am about to spend I really would be stoked for a no hassle good rebuild.

Tencentlife 2.2 do you have one are you happy with it? I believe Tencentlife is his own entity and people seem to be happy with his motors. If you were not happy with your purchase could you PM me your experience. I am hoping to hear nothing but good but if there is some bad experiences out there I would prefer them in my inbox rather than on this site where they could hurt his business. I appreciate your time.

Thank you
John
jeffklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=328460&highlight=tencentlife+motor
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing, I've never read anything close to a negative comment about 10cent motors, unlike gowesty's.
Maybe it's a conspiracy. Could be.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Funny thing, I've never read anything close to a negative comment about 10cent motors, unlike gowesty's.

It's also because he's sold far far fewer motors than GW. I don't know the numbers, but I remember reading he's only been at it a couple years. GW has probably sold many hundreds of motors over many more years. It's all in the numbers. I have nothing against him and his work, it's probably the best I've seen around, but be fair about it. There's only a couple people on this board with his motor.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
levi wrote:

It's also because he's sold far far fewer motors than GW. I don't know the numbers, but I remember reading he's only been at it a couple years. GW has probably sold many hundreds of motors over many more years. It's all in the numbers. I have nothing against him and his work, it's probably the best I've seen around, but be fair about it. There's only a couple people on this board with his motor.

I will buy one of Chris's motors one day...Hands down, the best out there, unless you want to be the guy with a 911 motor Cool Hand built correctly. Good things come to those who wait. Problem is, I will not justify the expense until mine gives up, so I may have to wait Razz
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A post from the past had a busted head stud, time and space were bent to repair the defect. This type of faliure can't be predicted, most engine builders would bail on a snapped head stud.
IT WAS REPAIRED BY THE MAKER.
VS an "online engine vendor"
please Rolling Eyes
I strive to build a copy...... Pray
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with an engine built by Chris Corkins (AKA Tencentlife). Not only does he take great pride in his work, he also brings to the table past experience building VW Type 1 motors, which have many similarities to the wasserboxer. If you read through his posts, you will see that he has tremendous technical and conceptual knowledge about engines. Ideally, you want someone with this type of background assembling your engine. He also has a good understanding of the causes of low oil pressure in the wasserboxer and he attends to the details to optimize the lubrication system. For instance, he uses a high quality oil pump with a keyed on primary gear and an o-ringed pump body.

If you're sold on the wasserboxer concept, then I'd give Chris a hollar. He can build you the best of the breed.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris will most likely not chime in here cause he doesn't seem to be the type of guy to blow his own horn, but make no mistake he knows these engines.

Read his add carefully, he gives you a lot of info in a little bit of reading. Just google his posts and start reading, they are a look into the encyclopedic knowledge that this guy has gained over the years.

I was told by a trusted friend a long time ago that a true artist is one who doesn't just show you his masterpiece, but one who shows you everything including his "mistakes"

A while ago a guy having an issue where one of the head studs came loose (please someone correct me here if I have the exact issue wrong) on one of TC's engines. Not only did the guy rave about the engine but after contacting Chris and getting it all figured out (on the road), Chris posted pictures of this and explained his thinking about what happened and how he would prevent it in the future....

He didn't spew a bunch of crap and blame someone or something else, this is a rare thing these days.

Recently I installed one of his vacuum throttle position switches, it's a tiny masterpiece.

Last week I freaked out a bit after having the threads of my oil drain plug fall into my hand...I'm in Alaska and far from my normal tools and such. I mailed Chris and he replied quickly and told me how to get this done from where I was at....I have never met Chris and he has helped me out like he is a friend.

It's a lot of money to spend, if you can come up with a reason to spend your money elsewhere on a wbx'er I want to hear it. Because of all of these things, I am not going the route of the suby(and I've got one waiting at home) I will be staying stock.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a customer of his ended up in Washington state at the shop of another rebuilder, when he found the problem Chris drove up from NM with the fix. Unbelievable customer support.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry all, in my long winded post I neglected to see that kaiser already mentioned the head stud, I guess we all have that one in the back of our head...that's pretty cool, I think.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369333&highlight=tencent+head+stud
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: engines Reply with quote

When the time comes(not too soon I hope) I would love to road trip to NM for a beach/golfing/engine swap with Chris. Not sure where the closest beaches are. It appeals to the entire family for a possible vacation.

I know the subie might be the smartest option...but so far...I like the little sewing machine back there.

Ben is much closer but we have already been to Montreal a few times...hehe.

How many vacationers plan an engine swap into the mix?

Brian.
firepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard only good things about 10c engines, and I would have no hesitation getting one of his. I am curious though what hp and torque numbers that one would have over a stock wbxer
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are looking at a 2.2-2.3 motor, I too would choose the 10¢ motor as well. I have a GoWesty Motor, but 2.4. Quite frankly, my GoWesty experience has been overall excellent and the quality of my build was just fine. However at the power levels your looking at Chris's motor would be a better option. He does build them with a bit more attention to detail. He isn't doing 20-30 a month (perhaps he wishes he was), so he can spend a bit of time on them. I would recommend getting it with his exhaust as well.

Just remember, most of the problems that people see after a new motor have nothing to do with the engine as supplied from the builder, Chris, Boston Bob, or GoWesty. It has everything to do with old accessories, old sensors and crappy old cheap wiring. So even the finest motor lovingly built by the finest craftsmen will run like shit and be un-realiable if you don't go after them as well.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dogpilot: very good point! I'm on the heels of a Bostig conversion, nothing wrong with the kit or the great engine... but you touch a lot of systems and .. maybe more importantly, you start to expect more from a vehicle with most 25+ y/o parts and design.

Dogpilot wrote:
Just remember, most of the problems that people see after a new motor have nothing to do with the engine as supplied from the builder, Chris, Boston Bob, or GoWesty. It has everything to do with old accessories, old sensors and crappy old cheap wiring. So even the finest motor lovingly built by the finest craftsmen will run like shit and be un-realiable if you don't go after them as well.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: engines Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
When the time comes(not too soon I hope) I would love to road trip to NM for a beach/golfing/engine swap with Chris.

Just be sure to plan way ahead, I'm always booked months in advance.

Quote:
How many vacationers plan an engine swap into the mix?

My next customer is. He's shipping the van to me, I'll put in his new engine, exhaust, and a bunch of other work, and he's coming out afterward to take his vacation while driving it home to Missouri.

Quote:
Not sure where the closest beaches are.

Um...Tingley Beach?

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firepilot wrote:
I am curious though what hp and torque numbers that one would have over a stock wbxer

OK, this will probably open up a can of worms, because honestly many people that are passionate about engine technology still do not know how to credibly compare one engine to another, tossing around manufacturers flywheel hp numbers, usually even omitting the rpms where they reach it. For that reason I have not been eager to publish this info broadly, but I have happily supplied it to anyone who has asked for it privately because then I can advise them how to use it in a credible comparison.

But for those who understand that the most credible way to evaluate the potential performance of various engines in a particular platform is to measure actual wheel torque, in the vehicle in question, here is a chart of rear wheel torque, in my 2WD '87 GL, of my own 2.2 running stock Digifant FI and one of the prototypes of my tuned exhaust. This is the rear-wheel torque measurement, corrected for weather and altitude, but not attempting to estimate the flywheel torque:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For comparison, a stock 2.1 wbx with stock exhaust puts down about 95-105 ft.lb. at the rear wheels, at about 2800 rpm. Stock rwhp is about 74-77 at around 4600rpm. I offer these as ranges because I have seen different dyno tests with varying results, some of which unfortunately I can no longer find on the web. There is one still visible at bostig.com, comparing the Zetec to the 2.1 wbx; that chart has the higher numbers in these ranges. Jim knows to only compare wheel dyno to wheel dyno, so he does in my opinion offer a credible comparison. He used to also have a chassis dyno chart of the Suby conversion in a Vanagon, but has since taken that down, I don't know why.

This exact combo has been on the same rollers on two occasions and the numbers both times were within 1 or 2% of each other, so the testing methodology and corrections seem to be pretty consistent. Also, you can see the mixture curve and it never really got into high-load enrichment. I've done things to my own FI to remedy that, but with a stock FI this is the kind of load response you can actually expect (basically, none) short of overriding the lambda channel (which is what I have done to my own).

GW also has some dyno charts on their site, they used an axle dyno, but they're trying to present the data as flywheel numbers by applying a driveline loss correction of 32%. This makes it confusing once again, comparing different measurements. This wouldn't be the same driveline loss correction you would apply to estimate flywheel torque from rear-wheel measurements, since the axle dyno has taken the mass of the wheel and tire out of the picture. So once again, it's very hard to make a credible comparison.

Anyway, there's what I have, as I've said elsewhere you can take it for what it's worth, because it is pretty hard to evaluate it next to some of the info that is available for some of the other engines that are popular for the Vanagon. I do feel, though, that the comparison to stock 2.1 chassis dyno tests is fairly useful.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: vacation Reply with quote

I haven't googled you Chris to know where the beaches are in relation to you...Tingley sounds great! That's for my girls. I'll be at the golf course...again...no idea which one.

It's a long range plan which will have plenty of lead time. My biggest problem is that my trade background is mechanic (heavy duty) and I like fixing things myself. When I look at what you do with these engines I want to forget all that and just drive it back home!

As it stands my engine is running great(knocking on wood) and I have no issues with no power. Life is too short to rush to the finish line.

Thanks as always for all the info...I love reading the details!

Brian.

Just googled it...4719 kms.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, Tingley Beach is just a few little fishing ponds near downtown Albuquerque. It's a fairly nice place for little kiddies on a quiet day but not really a beach. The closest real ocean beach to us would be the northern reach of the Gulf of California, which must be, I dunno, 400 miles away? We do have a few pretty nice lakes, though, or you can always go down and splash around in the Rio Grande. Of course the next possible time I could install your engine would be, oh, let's see, next January? I think our "beaches" might not be as much fun when they're frozen solid.

bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: beaches Reply with quote

Hey! We are Canadian! Our beaches are ALWAYS cold! Frozen means bring your skates instead of your bikini.

Second thought...perhaps we could schedule for a little closer to bikini season.

I read the other thread last night on shipping to Canada...sounds like an option as well.

The other option is to go to Montreal and see Ben but I'm thinking no matter what rebuild I asked for it would come out a Subie! hehe. Maybe I'll stop in today and ask him...we are heading (in the golf) to upper NY state for a concert. Need to pass through his city....

Still like the idea of NM though....

Brian.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: