Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brand new Campers from Brazil
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps what could be done is go down to Brazil and export only the parts that are unique to this new model (radiator, tranny, engine, wiring) - the body, panels, windows, seal, etc can be sourced here.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjetta wrote:
what if someone went to brazil, bought one and drove it back to the states?

If it is registered in Brazil, and you are a Brazilian citizen with the proper paperwork (Visas...etc.) it may be allowed to be brought in to the US for up to a year, after which it would need to either be returned to Brazil or destroyed.

If you bring it to the US as "parts" the VIN of the shell will be recorded and banned from being registered as a motor vehicle in the US.

You could probably do what they were doing with the Mexican Beetles a few years ago though, which was to put the new body on an old pan. You could buy a Brazilian bus, and an old bay window, and swap the VINs from the old bay window to the new Brazilian bus. It would then have to be registered as the old bay window bus. This however is ILLEGAL, and if caught US Customs or the DOT will seize the bus, and you will be subject to fines and/or possible prison time (Most likely just fines though).

Here's a link to an article about some Nissan Skylines that were seized for being imported illegally
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/03/nissan-skyline-gt-rs-seized-in-california-over-possible-illegal/

On the other hand you may want to contact this guy as he's got a Brazilian bus.

http://www.rossvw.com/vw/92panel.html
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that 1992 Ross VW van reminds me just what a pain it would be if some Brazil only part breaks. Nope. Not good.

Convert an old fat chick to water cooled something. You will know where to get parts.

That is why my Vanagon route is Suby. The custom parts are all steel or the Suby specific parts are generic US versions. The rest is US sourced and our easy (easier) to duplicate. Then I can service that anywhere in the States with out fear that I have to fly it in from Brazil (or Mexico.)

Nope. These would be nice to look at is all in my book. Not practical the way the van is meant to be.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody from england told me they have link pin front ends. somebody needs to find out how to get that stuff over here so we can get link pin frontends with disc brakes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that is stock stuff not modified
vanarover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways around this..... 1st off it looks old and restored.. there is your saving grace. Many of the customs people dont know JACK from SHIT. excuse my language...

I had a grey market Land Rover Defender titled and tagged it fine in Virginia which is a tough state. Had it for 6 years. Sold it to a guy in Texas... He still has it.

So its not impossible, but it might take doing a VIN swap. Which is ILLEGAL as hell, but people do it ALL the time. Trust me on that.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

folks due get them thru customs, there were two of them for sale up in Vermont one was a camper and the other a panel van, owner had vermont plates so they cleared the dmv up here
The Salt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanarover wrote:

So its not impossible, but it might take doing a VIN swap. Which is ILLEGAL as hell, but people do it ALL the time. Trust me on that.

This might be the only way way they would let a white guy in a new white van cross the border. Vin swaps are very common in the gray market arena.

US conversion is about $27,000 I think. Banks wont finance either. At least none that I am aware of.
elsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity there's no way to get one of them here legally - I know I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Doug
beelzibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not missing anything folks. They're very poorly built, with no consideration given to rust prevention whatsoever many parts are specific to Brazilian Kombis, front beams, gearboxes, chassis sections, doors, etc. They run Type 1 style boxes which are weak. There are many in the UK that are now a few years old and really showing their age, rusty and generally crap.Far better to spend your hard earned on a decent German built Westy and restore it properly. Cheaper as well.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsyr wrote:
It's a pity there's no way to get one of them here legally - I know I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Doug

Why ?

.... I know

Why not ? Dancing

I just can't understand why a-n-y-o-n-e- would want one of those antiquated, baroque monstruosity Brick wall Brick wall

In fact I know, to attract attention and not feel lonely lost in the crowd.

Yesss SSSSSir, I am the only one West of the Pecos or East of Miami ( Dancing ) with this marvelous vehicle and NO, you can't have one NA !!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this link http://www.limbobus.org/brazilian_kombi.htm

Says the camper version is about 30k USD and the motor is an inline-4 of a paltry 1.4L.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: