Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question regarding POR-15 products & fuel tank resto
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Question regarding POR-15 products & fuel tank resto Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of the gas tank resto process with the POR-15 products. I'm using both Ratwell's fine instructions and the ones that come with the POR-15.

I've done the muriatic acid cleaning. Had some rust, but no sludge inside. After a few cleanings, it was pretty clean. The next step was the Marine Clean and hot water. Considering I didn't have any sludge buildup, this step went on without a hitch. It is amazing how much rust can form in these tanks, and how long it takes to flush it out.

The next step calls for the Metal Ready, which as Ratwell so eloquently puts it, is to gently etch the metal, creating an ideal anchor pattern"....He says to pour it in, slosh it all around everywhere inside for the next 30 minutes so all surfaces are coated. I've done this as well. I have a nice coating inside!
This is where I get confused.
Ratwell and the POR-15 instructions say to wait 24 hrs. to let the tank dry completely. POR-15 says to use forced air to dry the interior out. No problem. But the POR-15 instructions also say to rinse the tank throughly with hot water several times before drying it out completely. Ratwell makes no mention of this. Following his directions, I would assume I leave the Metal Ready in there as a coating, get the tank dry, and 24 hrs' later use the sealer.

I assume I should use the POR-15 instructions, but would like a little help from some of you who have done this process for clarification purposes!

Thanks for reading!
Tom
cheesehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poptop Tom,
We just did this very thing last weekend. I followed the POR-15 instructions and rinsed it before drying for the sealer. It looks brand new inside now:) Or you could email Richard for his opinion.
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cheesehead, I'm rinsing with hot water as we speak. May have been a slight oversite by Richard. He usually doesn't miss too many details, I thought he may have learned a secret....

Cheesehead as in Wisconsin?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Call POR-15, speak to the technical representative, and ask them for clarification for the procedure.

Lots of people have no problems with it, but it did not work for me.

I am not a "lucky person" though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aandrew71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of coating my entire bus. I've followed the POR-15 instructions and thus far (only have the rear quarter panels left) it has worked out perfectly.

While the metal ready is still semi-wet, i spray it with a hose to rinse.

Then i let it sit and air dry. There will be a weird coating over everything (sort of yellowish) that looks a bit like powder. I called POR-15 and they said that the "powder" was what you wanted and that it would help prevent any rust from starting under the POR-15.

hope that helps.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my tank a few years ago and followed POR 15 instructions.

I just had the tank "hot tanked" at a radiator shop before to insure it was good and clean.

http://www.glenn-ring.com/tech/gas_tank_resto.htm

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamesn71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned my tank thoroughly with muriatic acid, followed up with the marine clean and now the metal ready. I just checked it after about 3 hours and noticed there is some rust forming on the bottom of the tank already. Now i'm nervous. Once it's completely dry is it ok to have a mild rust forming before coating? Given it's name I would think so but I'm wondering if I should run another coating of metal ready.

Thanks for any advice before I call por tech support.
Jamesn71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned my tank thoroughly with muriatic acid, followed up with the marine clean and now the metal ready. I just checked it after about 3 hours and noticed there is some rust forming on the bottom of the tank already. Now i'm nervous. Once it's completely dry is it ok to have a mild rust forming before coating? Given it's name I would think so but I'm wondering if I should run another coating of metal ready.

Thanks for any advice before I call por tech support.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is OK. The "US Tank Sealer" is designed to bond to that thin layer of rust already formaing in the tank.

Continue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamesn71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very frustrated now. I poured in the tank sealant and turned the tank over and over and round and round for 10 minutes. It was quite a workout. I dumped it out and let it drain for 30 minutes and then checked out the inside only to find a quarter sized spot on a baffle didn't get covered! I can't believe that $h@&.

It sucks being a perfectionist.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. Let it cure well and put it in.

Fix it again in another 20 years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: