Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical problem/won't start
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Electrical problem/won't start Reply with quote

I just replaced the battery on my 73 thing. As I was tightening the clamp the wrench touched the sheet metal as caused a large spark. Now the car won't start (turns but not firing up) and the radio, flashers, and turn signals don't work. I checked the fuse panel under the dash and they look OK. Any suggestions on what damages I may have caused and how to fix? Crying or Very sad
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it still might be a fuse problem but you may have burned a wire up also. You need to get a test light and check to see if you have power at the fuse box.
Old and Grey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Battery Saftey Reply with quote

I agree with emmerson...get a 12v test lite and start at the starter term. and work forward.
As a Saftey Issue...
When working on the electrical system,changeing the battery,ALLWAYS,
remove the NEGITIVE cable first.......
and install the negitive cable LAST....
Then there is NO chance of shorting out the battery..
Don't wear rings either..I've seen guys short out their wedding ring while working on electrical systems, bout bunt their finger off..
gold is the best conductor there is.
Good probing.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: figured it out Reply with quote

I actually had the battery cables switched...that was the problem.
Thanks anyway "old and grey" and emersonbiggins. That popping sound you might of heard was me pulling my head out of my ass. Embarassed
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if the Negative cable is connected or not if you arc the positive while your conecting it. It will still spark and be very dangerous. Just a note. Bucky
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckly,
If the negative cable is removed from the negative post, it is impossible to "spark" the positive cable. There is no complete circuit and no current can flow. You remove the negative cable first on a negative ground vehicle because you can make as much contact as you wish between the wrench and the body and nothing will happen, they are at the same potential. With the negative cable still attached, making contact between the positive post and the body will produce a short circuit which can flow hundreds of amps. With the negative cable removed first, that can not happen, the positive is no longer connected to anything.
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I don't know what the hell I was thinking, of course it takes a complete curcuit, dah. Sorry the the misinformation. And thanks for the correction. Bucky
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: