Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmann Ghia Progressive changes 1955–1974
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Ya know what would be cool? Some sort of timeline table, with the years on the X axis and the features on the y axis.

Typical computer nerd...Obviously spending too much time at HP. Wink Laughing

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who is swimming naked."
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Sterring column differences Reply with quote

In another thread is a nice analysis of the early Ghia steering column by John Morris. I thought it would be good to include the info here

john morris wrote:
When I started this endeavor I did not know that the 60/61 steering wheel was unique. I have managed to find a correct wheel and horn ring so at this point I am not sure if i will make the change. I wanted to post some pictures attempting to show the differences.

The first picture shows from top to bottom: 60 steering shaft, 63/64 steering shaft, 58 steering shaft, 60 steering column, 63/64 steering column, 58 steering column

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The low light steering column is about 29 inches long

The steering shafts are actually different lengths too.

The 60 steering column (on right) uses a screw to attach the ground, the 63/64 column uses a spade connector.

Left to right, 60, 63/64, 58 there are differences here too.

The 60s steering bearing will not fit over the 58 shaft.

The 1958 steering bushing might be made to fit the 1960 column. I did not want to cut an original bushing to try. Also the 58 steering column flares at the driver end. I am sure that flare helped keep the bushing in place, if I put a cut down bushing into the 60 column it might work its way further down and cause other problems. The turn signal housing will not interchange 58 to 60, 60 to 58 because of the different widths of the columns. I could leave out a bushing or bearing but that seems dangerous, way to much slop in the steering that way. So to sum it up, it seems like all or nothing to do this swap. To do it properly I would change column, shaft, bushing, and turn signal housing. That leads to more problems because the 1960 Ghia was wired differently than the 1958 (low light). It is possible. The question is, is it worth it?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Frankie Pintado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
• Although not a largely visible difference. 1970 cars receive a newly modified rear deck lid. It features a removable plastic drain tray, and allows more cooling air to enter the engine compartment. This style of decklid is used through the end of production in 1974.

Hey John, you're absolutely sure about this one?

'cause if you are, My '72 coupe has an older rear deck lid Sad
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was oing through my pop out window latches today and noticed two versioins. It turns out there is a 60-63 version (the one on the left) and a 64-74 version (the one on the right). The part that attaches to the window pillar is the same on both styles. The earlier version used a smooth plastic knob while the later version used a chromed pot metal knob. The later version center section has two slits to allow the metal to flex and make for a stronger grip when locking the latch. The other major difference is on the end that attaches to the glass. The earlier version has two holes on the outside of the "rivet" and threads onto the latch, with a set screw to secure it. The later version "rivet" has a smooth face and is secured via a clip.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie Pintado wrote:
Quote:
• Although not a largely visible difference. 1970 cars receive a newly modified rear deck lid. It features a removable plastic drain tray, and allows more cooling air to enter the engine compartment. This style of decklid is used through the end of production in 1974.

Hey John, you're absolutely sure about this one?

'cause if you are, My '72 coupe has an older rear deck lid Sad

My '70 coupe has the original decklid with the plastic tray and drain tubes. I removed and stored the tray early because the duct-taped pipe from the air cleaner to the carb had worn a hole in the plastic. Yeah, it was a little rough when I got it Wink

Paul
Frankie Pintado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I don't think I've ever really studied one with the plastic tray, could one of you guys post a picture?
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pair of 55-57 Ghia fresh air vent controls. The early version had metal flaps, unlike the later version that used rubber ones. These still have their original brown paint and were on an antelope brown Ghia. They were used up to chassis #14 061

Here you can see the metal flaps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ehut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: E clip size? Reply with quote

Does anyone know what size "e" clip goes on the rear quarter window latch? I see one In the picture comparing the two versions. Thought it was 1/4" but I got one & it broke... too small.

Need to replace my glass since it flew right off (along with the latch) when I was driving on the freeway.

Also, any tips on removing the clip? Is there a tool (like wih "O" rings)? Or just a screwdriver & patience?

Loren wrote:
I was oing through my pop out window latches today and noticed two versioins. It turns out there is a 60-63 version (the one on the left) and a 64-74 version (the one on the right). The part that attaches to the window pillar is the same on both styles. The earlier version used a smooth plastic knob while the later version used a chromed pot metal knob. The later version center section has two slits to allow the metal to flex and make for a stronger grip when locking the latch. The other major difference is on the end that attaches to the glass. The earlier version has two holes on the outside of the "rivet" and threads onto the latch, with a set screw to secure it. The later version "rivet" has a smooth face and is secured via a clip.

tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so very glad I stumbled on this thread...because I am having a hard time figuring out just exactly what the ghia that our family has had for about 15 years is for sure...I need the expert's help.

Is it possible for a 59 to NOT be a lowlight? Title, chassis number, and tailights(still has the one piece square ones)are all saying 59, dash doesn't have the trim under the lip like a lowlight. Fuel guage between the speedo and clock, not top pad pn the dash. Quarter windows were fixed(non pop-out) before we took it apart. I'm not sure the body tag is even on the car anymore. Headlights are at the top of the fender and it has the larger intake grilles. The car is about as close to raw metal as it can get currently, and there are no signs of major body molestation from a cutting and splicing standpoint, just a few typical dents and bruises with shoddy repairs.
I'm racking my brain here wondering if we have a mis-titled 60 on our hands, or possibly just a very late 59? Perhaps even a mid-august of 59 build date/model anomoly? I'm under the n00b assumption all 59's are lowlights, which may be my my own misconception causing me undue grief.

thanks in advance--ted
technik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second half of 1959 they updated the body.
It sounds like you have a lowlight thats had its front end replaced.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
The second half of 1959 they updated the body.
It sounds like you have a lowlight thats had its front end replaced.

Yep don't be fooled because there aren't any signs of a repair there shouldn't be if it were repaired by VW trained bodymen.

Crash damaged cars back in the day were often repaired with a new front end using the latest available panels by main dealers. Just as a bonus the owner got a newer looking Ghia which no doubt was considered a nice touch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it is what it is i suppose. it will always be a 59 to me and the rest of the family, even if she's a bit of a 'bastard'...it even still has the metal plate up in the trunk that says "Made in Western Germany"-I thought that was pretty damn cool... Cool

hopefully later this spring i'll get it dug out of my brother's shop and to my house to get started on it...
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: 1970 - 1974 Plastic Drain Tray Reply with quote

Frankie Pintado wrote:
So, I don't think I've ever really studied one with the plastic tray, could one of you guys post a picture?

Wow, talk about me being late! I just noticed this while digging for something else. Below is a photo of the late drain tray, but this one is modified for clearance. When closed, the top of the carb and linkage fits into the cutout. I had to do this because my intake manifold is taller than stock. By the way, the tray is actually fiberglass.

Paul

INLANDGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread and the great info on 66 Ghia. Was wondering if someone could add info on the 67 Ghia. I am looking into buying one and trying to find all info on it before I buy. I know alot of parts are one year only.......thanks
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m just interested; has anyone actually see this type of door panel with the diagonal stitched top part, was this, the first attempt on the 55? And when did it go from this, to the straight fluted leatherette or corduroy top of the 56.

RLG1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

Can someone please let me know the difference between a lowlight and a Non lowlight Karmann Ghia, I just bought a 1960 that is described as a non lowlight Karmann, and I don't have a clue what that means, other than the fact that from some internet research, 1960 parts are harder to find....this car was assembled in Switzerland....thanks.
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: lights Reply with quote

RLG1959 wrote:
Can someone please let me know the difference between a lowlight and a Non lowlight Karmann Ghia, I just bought a 1960 that is described as a non lowlight Karmann, and I don't have a clue what that means, other than the fact that from some internet research, 1960 parts are harder to find....this car was assembled in Switzerland....thanks.

Cool, do you have the front nose badge that states it was assembled in Switzerland, if so share a picture.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: lights Reply with quote

RLG1959 wrote:

See the first post in the ghia FAQs:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67460

Lowlight (1955-59) ghias had a different front grills and headlights that are approximately two inches lower than non-lowlight (1960-74) ghias. This picture I found in the gallery shows a green lowlight ghia next to a red non-lowlight ghia. (See how the lowlight's headlights are mounted lower relative to the top of the front fenders, whereas 1960 and later ghias have the headlights mounted at the top of the fenders?)

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: lights Reply with quote

RLG1959 wrote:
...I just bought a 1960 that is described as a non lowlight Karmann, and I don't have a clue what that means, other than the fact that from some internet research, 1960 parts are harder to find....this car was assembled in Switzerland....thanks.

If as you say the Ghia was assembled in Switzerland you'll find this topic of interest: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461034
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another thread we have some great stuff from Mr Patrick Baptist on the topic of rear deck lids that deserves preservation in this sticky.

In a perfect world people wouldn't ignore this thread and would post questions on year to year changes here to make this quite the lively topic. "You may say I'm a dreamer" (quoting John Lennon).

Nicholas

pbaptist wrote:
Here some more education (for the people who likes it)

First and second series of decklids had holes for the festoon bulbs. Like Dave (retrowagen) mentioned, the real early ones didn't have the Karmann ghia script. If you look carefully there is a dent for the airfilter and pressings in the upper part of the decklid

third style was still with the dent for the airfilter and with the pression.

Later there was a hole added in the lower left side of the decklid and two small drain holes at the left and right side on the botton

Next style had a larger holes and the pressings in the top partion disapperead

And after that the plastic rear tray appaired

Maybe I have missed a style, but this gives a nice overview.

regards
Patrick

Last edited by sputnick60 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: