Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

not another "which conversion is best" thread!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: not another "which conversion is best" thread! Reply with quote

Yeah yeah, I know all too well that we all have our opinions on which engine is the best!

I am hoping to generate a much more specific discussion. (on which engine is the best Rolling Eyes )

Which is better:

Subaru 2.5L SOHC

-----or---------

Subaru h6 3.0?

Ben has already commented on this exact question but I can't find the link now. His choice was/is the 2.5L due to its simplicity and ease of repair. The 3.0 has a lot more power though! (thumping chest)

Anyone else or more from Ben?

Thanks!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More power is best.

Would you like ~160 horses and footpounds of torque, or would you like about 210 of each.

Eric Abercrombie used to install 2.5's and now does the H6. Ben has not done an H6 (yet:-)

Would you like 17mpg, choose any gas motor. Want to double your mileage and still have over 200 foot pounds? Then the 1.9 TDI is best.
VR6 vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.8 liter VR6 in mine, with a built transmission and I love it!
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody find the link please for him please.
I'm going to start moderating again.
Title speaks for itself, not another one.

Last edited by mightyart on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched the EZ30 before I chose a wedge motor.
It is the cleanest engine subaru makes. It surpasses the zetec. chain drive cams get really complicated after 04, with the disabler, but it is almost 2" longer than the 2.5. redesigned for compactness and more breathing.
the sandcar guys at outfront racing like the EZ30R which came after 04.
they even have a gutted one you can borrow for mockup.
The EZ30D is the 01-04 engine, with obd2 timing advance cams, two single exhaust ports and a realistic timetable for installation.
The EZ30R has the complicated cam advance system with sensors in each hub and door locks as well..hence the disabler for theft. It has three exhaust ports per head and another 42 hp. the stand alone ecu is the favorite with this one.
the restrictions are really tightening on sand cars with limitations on what you can install in what as of this year. retarded.
anyway, the EZ30 is available in only the LLBean outbacks, 01-04, of which I recently got a price of 4500 for the front half of a rear-ender from JDM in carson, ca.
The other source is the suv tribeca, 06+ with all the complications. people love their llbean outbacks, and just don't sell them. you need to cruise the insurance impound lots with a dealer to score one. and hopefully it was hit in the ass. some rolled over, most are frontenders, and the parts are unreasonable for all except jay leno.
It's rarity drove me away. it would make a great ass motor, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: