Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Experiences with 1986 corduroy upholstery?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Experiences with 1986 corduroy upholstery? Reply with quote

Looking at an '86 pop top weekender. The interior is the light tan corduroy, and even though it is in good shape I am concerned about it based on most photos I've seen of others vans with it, and passing comments made on this forum. Is this stuff just destined to rip? Solutions? I have an '86 parts van with tan velour but a passenger van interior won't go in a weekender easy:)

-Rob
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a simple one, the cord interior may be the worst interior ever put in a vehicle period, if it's not already shredded it's amazing

It doesn't mean it's a deal breaker but on my 85 I replaced the entire interior with the "other" brown interior (velour) and it's bomber and seems to be able to take anything. I just removed all the velour cover and took everything to an upholstery shop and they made it all fit really well.
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the tan cord does tend to shred, and nobody, not even Sewfine or various automotive fabric experts, has any idea how to match it.
I've grown to love my tan cord though (what little there is left of it), so if I were you looking at a van with the cord in good shape, I'd jump on it. Then, just try to cherish whatever time you have left together.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear about the corduroy pillow cases?

There making headlines.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiser Soze wrote:
Hear about the corduroy pillow cases?

There making headlines.

Rolling Eyes .....gotta be Friday.... Very Happy
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your find! Yes, love the tan cord while you can but eventually you're going to have to deal with this. Here's my story.

I have the exact same rig - 86 Weekender, but the tan corduroy already stained & shredded when we got it. I'm a dedicated DIY-er interested in a fairly clean, functional camper (not necessarily a pristine restoration) so I found some good complimentary upholstery fabric and "got 'er done with a staple gun".

I actually put the new on over the old (after tying up loose ends & edges to prevent lumps) and the result is good. I removed all the cushions and did the work on a bench. Look how the original went on and do the same. Leaving staples exposed is ok - that's how they did it; as long as they're spaced nicely and holding well it'll look good.

Got my job done for $30 of fabric, a box of staples and about 4 hours work. Since then we've been in it for three weekend trips plus 2-1/2 weeks on the road to Yellowstone & back and I'm quite happy with it.

Happy trails!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an '86 Westfalia originally with the tan corduroy (apparently corduroy was popular in 1986?)

I really like cord, but the stuff VW used was subpar as far as wear goes...esp. compared to the blue, tan, and grey velour. In my van, I just recently got the rear seats and engine pad recovered by a shop using a tan tweed & vinyl material that I am very happy with.

Actually I have an '86/87 weekender rear bench seat and back available. The bottom is original cord in very good shape. The back is recovered with a tan cord that is a touch lighter in color. If anyone is interested, let me know...I've been considering posting them in the classifieds.

If you've found a van with a cord interior in good shape, I would put value in that since it is quite rare. Give it a gentle cleaning and scotch-guarding and you'll be happy!
snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Experiences with 1986 corduroy upholstery? Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Looking at an '86 pop top weekender. The interior is the light tan corduroy, and even though it is in good shape I am concerned about it based on most photos I've seen of others vans with it, and passing comments made on this forum. Is this stuff just destined to rip? Solutions? I have an '86 parts van with tan velour but a passenger van interior won't go in a weekender easy:)

-Rob

If the '86 you are considering is in overall good shape, Don't worry to much about the corduroy seats. As others have been saying, they can be recovered. Or a place like SEWFINE might be able to make replacement covers in tan velour.
On my '86 weekender I found some tan velour front seats and put them in( Previous Owner had used blue front seats).
The corduroy on the bench seat was shreaded but the jump seat and rear pad cover were still good. I found some material to closely match the tan velour(Bought extra to do jump seat and pad if they ever need redone) and recovered the bench seat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you are happy with condition of the rest of the Van, don't hesitate because of the corduroy.
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an '86 weekender with the cords. Cool '80's style man! Enjoy!
It started out looking like this-

and after a few years it looked like this-

fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 86/87 Syncro poptop weekender has 150,000 miles and a perfect tan corduroy interior. Very strange, hardly dare to sit in it as it will be for sale soon.
the caveman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all that complaining, i will have a 2 person middle seat for sale. No tears, unmolested, brown, of course, but missing the r/s arm rest.
PM if interested.
tangojeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: cord interior Reply with quote

When I first got my '86 Westy Weekender, I had an upholstery shop redo the rear seat cushions, the rear pad, and also the seat behind the driver in a saddle tan vinyl to match that on the sides of the front seats. They stitched in the same design, and it looked fine. The original corduroy was like new and years later, I sold it to a friend to replace the tattered upholstery in her Weekender.
I just wanted the seats to be easy to clean when accidents happened w/ kids and pets, and camping. The vinyl never let me down. Milk shakes, dog barf or spilt beer were always pretty easy to deal with.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '86 with the tan cord upholstery. Three years ago, the drivers seat was so worn that I needed to recover it. After getting many bids and looking at different fabric, non of which matched the original, I went into a little upholstery shop that had just the right fabric, nylon velour that was just the right color that had a striped patern in it that looked like corduroy. They only had enough to do my van as they were closing out that particular fabric, but the end result is I got a great looking job and it hasn't changed the looks of my van all that much. The stripes are a little closer together than the original corduroy, but that is made up for by the fact that this fabric should last forever. At first, I only did the front and back seats, but then took it back and had him do the back mattress pad to match.

Rich
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because a guy needs to know:

How much are you all paying for these reupholstery jobs? Small shop cheaper than a big shop cheaper than Sewfine, I assume?
(Just in case mine does start to go south and I happen to find even MORE free money to throw in the van...)

Thanks!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: