Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
buspor63
Samba Member


Joined: February 17, 2005
Posts: 1134
Location: Knoxville,TN Where America stops for gas
buspor63 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
You can rule them out because they are 5X100. Keep looking for 5X112, MBZ, Audi A6, Passat and late Jetta/Golf plus many more.
_________________
Imagine that, theres not an "h" in either Westfalia or Syncro?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlackDogVan
Samba Member


Joined: December 21, 2007
Posts: 855
Location: Vancouver Island
BlackDogVan is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone trying these? Reply with quote

Perpel wrote:
First post!

I scanned every page of this post since I've bought my westy 2wd weekender last week. Even talked to Loogy!

But I've not seen anyone try these Audi TT wheels seen here on Denver CL:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1819908861.html

Seller claims 17x7.5, 5x100 ET35...but he's not sure of ET. Anyone know the ET on these...or can tell me where to find the data....wheel weight is also important to me.

Thanks
Richard[/url]


5x112 is the bolt spacing you're looking for, TT's (as you seem to know) are 5x100. There are A8 5x112 fat fives out there but are rare & the centers would need some serious material removal. As for wheel weight goes any audi or merc alloy is fine, if this is your budget you can't afford anything that would make a major difference over some stock alloys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member


Joined: February 11, 2005
Posts: 5522
Location: Las Vegas
levi is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus you wouldn't have wanted to use the tires on it, 94v load, and 1477 max psi, so new tires added onto all the other stuff... this set-up would have ended up costing you a lot.
_________________
One of these days I'm gonna settle down,
but till I do I won't be hangin round.
Going down that long lonesome highway,
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2005
Posts: 11506
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
syncrodoka is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 x 6 ET30 German Mefro steel wheels from VanCafe-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kounterkultured
Samba Member


Joined: July 24, 2009
Posts: 78
Location: Eastern Townships, QC
kounterkultured is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kounterkultured wrote:
Here's the result!! Smile I'm real happy with the outcome.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Audi 15x6 ET45 wheels, made in Germany
10mm spacers in FR - none in RR
Nokian Hakka C Van tyres in 205-65-15C


That was a few months ago, just wanted to post a comment after we've rolled a few thousand Kms with our "new" (so-to-speak) 15" wheels.

Nokian tyres are a great improvement over the old set of not-C-load-rated rubbers. Van feels safer and is less affected by sidewinds (well.. the van retains the aerodynamics of a fridge). Rolls very nicely, road bumps or expansion joints on bridges aren't too harsh. Handling is improved yes but our shocks & coils are pretty much shot so...
Conclusion: can't regret the plus-size 15s and upgraded tyres.
_________________
Alex
-----
1989 Vanagon GL
Audi A3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member


Joined: September 30, 2004
Posts: 1927
Location: Plymouth, MA
edgood1 is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my wheels and tires on today. They look just like the ones above:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


They are Mille Miglia Cellos I think. 15x7 ET35. They almost fit the syncro without mods. I could only get about 8 turns of the lugs.... so what I did was drill out the lug holes with a 5/8 bit and used extended shank (ET) lugs. Now I get 11 full turns on the front and 10 turns on the rear with the extended shank.
_________________
1987 Syncro Westfalia powered by Subaru
1963 Panel to Deluxe Bus project :::: (photo album)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blakeck2
Samba Member


Joined: April 10, 2009
Posts: 939
Location: Los Osos, CA
blakeck2 is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgood- So F$%$ing jealous of your ride!!!!

How are the grabbers?
_________________
1986 Vanagon Syncro GL, westy interior, GW 2.4 and all locked up

1973 Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Santana
Samba Member


Joined: March 18, 2008
Posts: 146
Location: T-Town, WA
Santana is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Finally got my wheels and tires on today. They look just like the ones above:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



I know this is a wheel and tire thread, but damn that is a NICE paint job!
_________________
PHOTO GALLERY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member


Joined: September 30, 2004
Posts: 1927
Location: Plymouth, MA
edgood1 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
Edgood- So F$%$ing jealous of your ride!!!!

How are the grabbers?



thanks guys. A lot of time and money spent and its starting to pay off.

The grabbers are good so far. Only have about 200 miles on them, with just a tad of off roading.

They handle sooo much better than the stock size Hankook RA08's I had on there...night and day. And with the bigger size it puts the gearing almost perfect for the subaru 2.2.


They are pretty soft compared to the BFG' AT KO's...They supposedly do better in the snow as a result.

I really wanted to get the Firestone Destination A/T's which I love but I guess the company is on backorder in 215/75/15. I figured I'd try the grabbers. I'll come back with a full report when I really get into them.
_________________
1987 Syncro Westfalia powered by Subaru
1963 Panel to Deluxe Bus project :::: (photo album)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member


Joined: October 24, 2007
Posts: 5626
Location: Crescent Beach, BC
Jake de Villiers is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Dixie's new shoes Reply with quote

I've been using the pictured combination on Dixie since the Subaru implant and I'm very happy with it.

The wheels are circa 2002 Mercedes Benz 16 x 7 steelies with 225/55-16 Continental ContiTouring CH95 tires at 45 PSI all the way around.

I have a 1/4" spacer in the front and 1/8" at the back but I'm going to try another 1/8" of spacer in the rear.

The ride is fantastic with this wheel and tire combination, especially with the '89 Westy springs and Alko shocks as seen in the photo.

Dixie is currently sporting Carat springs and 4 Konis on 2 and while I like what its done for the steering response, I don't care for the stiffer, bumpier ride. Later this year I'll try the Westy springs with the Konis...

Seeya, Jake

Okaaay, apparently I'm not smart enough to add a photo to my post.

Those who are interested can find pix at http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/subaru-installation Its a great look! Wink
_________________
'84 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX
'86 Westy Weekender Poptop/2.5 Subaru/5 Speed Posi/Audi Front Brakes/16 x 7 Mercedes Wheels - answers to 'Dixie'
@jakedevilliersmusic1
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnut2
Samba Member


Joined: June 22, 2004
Posts: 15
Location: Shawnigan Lake, BC
vwnut2 is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Eurovan 15x6 ET55 spacers Reply with quote

Last night I grabbed a set of Eurovan 15x6 steel wheels, which I'm already regretting, as the offset is ET55, so front clearance on my '88 2wd Westy is an issue. They appear to be from a 96+ Eurovan. The seller gave me a pair of 1/4" spacers and assured me it will be enough, but after pulling the front grease cap and fitting wheel as tight as I could, I'm dubious. I'll try to measure it somehow tonight, but it's hard to find a reference point for measuring where it will hit the ball joint upright.

I'm wondering if anyone here has has tried these wheels - and if so, what spacers did you use? I'd like to use BFG ATs in 215/75R15 and still have the option for chains. If excessive spacing is needed, I might not bother machining the centre bores and just cut my losses now and start looking for Mercedes wheels.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2005
Posts: 11506
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
syncrodoka is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that high of a offset you will need a significant spacer. I would cut your losses and move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2005
Posts: 5171
Location: PNW
Christopher Schimke is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 15x6 ET55 spacers Reply with quote

vwnut2 wrote:
Last night I grabbed a set of Eurovan 15x6 steel wheels, which I'm already regretting, as the offset is ET55, so front clearance on my '88 2wd Westy is an issue. They appear to be from a 96+ Eurovan. The seller gave me a pair of 1/4" spacers and assured me it will be enough, but after pulling the front grease cap and fitting wheel as tight as I could, I'm dubious. I'll try to measure it somehow tonight, but it's hard to find a reference point for measuring where it will hit the ball joint upright.

I'm wondering if anyone here has has tried these wheels - and if so, what spacers did you use? I'd like to use BFG ATs in 215/75R15 and still have the option for chains. If excessive spacing is needed, I might not bother machining the centre bores and just cut my losses now and start looking for Mercedes wheels.



Yeah, like syncrodoka said, those wheels are not really ideal for a Vanagon. The offset is just too high. However, if you really want to run them, I would suggest a set of adapters instead of spacers just due to the thickness needed.

To be honest, by the time that you had everything in place, you could have just bought a set of the new steel wheels from Van Cafe which will simply bolt on with no spacers.
_________________
Christopher

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnut2
Samba Member


Joined: June 22, 2004
Posts: 15
Location: Shawnigan Lake, BC
vwnut2 is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 15x6 ET55 spacers Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, like syncrodoka said, those wheels are not really ideal for a Vanagon. The offset is just too high. However, if you really want to run them, I would suggest a set of adapters instead of spacers just due to the thickness needed.

To be honest, by the time that you had everything in place, you could have just bought a set of the new steel wheels from Van Cafe which will simply bolt on with no spacers.


Thanks for the info guys. I will try to see if the guy will take them back, even for .50 on the dollar. I feel quite mislead, as he was a previous Westy owner who assured me they would fit with the 1/4" spacers. Seemed like a decent guy, but not so sure now. I guess I'm too trusting...

Unfortunately shipping for anything from the US to here is at least $150, so the GW wheels aren't really an option. What might be an option is to drive down there, so I might investigate finding someone in Wa to hold them for me. I could drive my two spares in place of my failed failed Yoko370s at least that far...

I hate having to rush into stuff like this - I need at least a few years to ruminate on something as big as wheels AND tires! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2005
Posts: 5171
Location: PNW
Christopher Schimke is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 15x6 ET55 spacers Reply with quote

vwnut2 wrote:
Unfortunately shipping for anything from the US to here is at least $150, so the GW wheels aren't really an option. What might be an option is to drive down there, so I might investigate finding someone in Wa to hold them for me. I could drive my two spares in place of my failed failed Yoko370s at least that far...


You know, I'm just outside of Seattle, but I would love to babysit your Van Cafe wheels until you can pick them up. Peter (VC) and I have a good relationship, so he can vouch for me if need be. Just an offer.
_________________
Christopher

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member


Joined: June 01, 2008
Posts: 1644
Location: This side of Daytona
SteveVanB is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris/anyone. Would you happen to know the difference between the front and rear track? I've got the clk's and would like to push the rears out to match or get closer to matching the front track. I was pondering adapters, but how far out can I safely go without chewing up wheel bearings?
_________________
91 CARAT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2005
Posts: 5171
Location: PNW
Christopher Schimke is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigsteveob wrote:
Hey Chris/anyone. Would you happen to know the difference between the front and rear track? I've got the clk's and would like to push the rears out to match or get closer to matching the front track. I was pondering adapters, but how far out can I safely go without chewing up wheel bearings?


The overall track width difference on a 2wd is 15mm to 16mm (depending on the source) with the front being wider, for those who don't know. Anything between a 7mm and 10mm spacer would be acceptable for evening up the track width.

As far as the rear bearings, they are pretty darn stout. Unless they are already on their way out the door, I wouldn't worry too much about any additional wear and tear.
_________________
Christopher

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member


Joined: June 01, 2008
Posts: 1644
Location: This side of Daytona
SteveVanB is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
bigsteveob wrote:
Hey Chris/anyone. Would you happen to know the difference between the front and rear track? I've got the clk's and would like to push the rears out to match or get closer to matching the front track. I was pondering adapters, but how far out can I safely go without chewing up wheel bearings?


The overall track width difference on a 2wd is 15mm to 16mm (depending on the source) with the front being wider, for those who don't know. Anything between a 7mm and 10mm spacer would be acceptable for evening up the track width.

As far as the rear bearings, they are pretty darn stout. Unless they are already on their way out the door, I wouldn't worry too much about any additional wear and tear.





Cool, thanks! It sure does look like more than 15mm though. Looks like some spacers and studs are on the short list, be talkin with you soon!
_________________
91 CARAT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnut2
Samba Member


Joined: June 22, 2004
Posts: 15
Location: Shawnigan Lake, BC
vwnut2 is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 15x6 ET55 spacers Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
vwnut2 wrote:
Unfortunately shipping for anything from the US to here is at least $150, so the GW wheels aren't really an option. What might be an option is to drive down there, so I might investigate finding someone in Wa to hold them for me. I could drive my two spares in place of my failed failed Yoko370s at least that far...


You know, I'm just outside of Seattle, but I would love to babysit your Van Cafe wheels until you can pick them up. Peter (VC) and I have a good relationship, so he can vouch for me if need be. Just an offer.


Thanks for the offer. I'm still considering my options. The problem with VC and GW is their limited choice of tires, and it appears VC is sold out on several wheel choices right now also. If I were to look at Tirerack for example, are aftermarket wheels for a 2000 Mercedes C230 a likely fit? 16x7 ET35 seems to be a common size, and backspacing ranges from 5.27 to 5.6" (I assume this is from the mounting plane to the inner wheel edge? I guess a 16" wheel has a bit more room due to the inward slope of the upright on the van?)

Are there any known currently available aftermarket wheels that are a direct fit on a 2WD? Tirerack doesn't list wheels at all for the Vanagon...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
vwnut2
Samba Member


Joined: June 22, 2004
Posts: 15
Location: Shawnigan Lake, BC
vwnut2 is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Any wheels from Tirerack that will fit a 2wd? Reply with quote

I'm very tempted by the low price on BFG ATs in the 16" size right now at tirerack, but can't tell if any of the wheels they sell will fit a 2WD Vanagon without mods. I could just buy loose tires, and then wheels from GW or VC, but mounting & crossing the border is more of a hassle. Tirerack will mount/bal for free if I get their wheels.

Still reading this thread trying to make sense of all this...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 64 of 166

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB