Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bad injection pump?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: bad injection pump? Reply with quote

so, i bought a resealed pump off a guy on vwdiesel. i went to go install it on my TD vanagon. i had a running pump on it before, but it was an n/a pump. excited to put a turbo pump on, i put it on, set it all up, and used a mighty vac to pull fuel through the return line. i then pulled fuel thought he return lines on the injectors. after a bunch of cranking, i still am not getting fuel out of the cracked injectors. nothing. not a dribble, spit, or anything at all. i verified the solenoid was working and even swapped it for the one on my old pump which was running just a couple of hours previous. am i off base to think this pump is no good? i can't come to any other diagnosis! i've primed other pumps and always gotten fuel to the injectors. any other thoughts?
thanks!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you manually prime the pump itself, as in fill it up from the top? When I was in the biz, whenever we broke into the fuel system on a VW diesel, we always topped up the pumps with a little ATF.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jarad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a mighty vac to pull fuel from the filter through the pump. That way has always worked for me before.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that, but having no experience with that method, I'm not sure it completely evacuates the air from the pump. By manually filling the pump, you can be sure you're directly displacing the air. It certainly can't hurt.

Have you contacted the seller and asked for their advice?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jarad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i just re-installed my original pump and it primed and started 30 seconds from being dry, so, i am pretty certain that pump was faulty......i have contacted the seller and we'll see what he says. Rolling Eyes
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this stuff perform miracles on VW diesel pumps that sat around for a while and then wouldn't work because the old dried mung inside was plugging it up. I'm not kidding. Prime the pump with it and let it set a while, then crank the engine.

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/lubromoly-diesel-purge-169oz-lm2005_60869.html

The vacuum on the return works great to pull fuel into the pump.

Mark

jarad wrote:
well, i just re-installed my original pump and it primed and started 30 seconds from being dry, so, i am pretty certain that pump was faulty......i have contacted the seller and we'll see what he says. Rolling Eyes
jarad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have considered the diesel purge, but the pump was just resealed buy this guy's buddy. odds are he make a mistake on assembly. sucks, but at least i have my original pump and can still cruise while i figure it all out with the seller.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but resealing the pump does not have to mean it was taken completely apart and cleaned.

Mark

jarad wrote:
i would have considered the diesel purge, but the pump was just resealed buy this guy's buddy. odds are he make a mistake on assembly. sucks, but at least i have my original pump and can still cruise while i figure it all out with the seller.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, diesel purge is now available at you friendly neighborhood NAPA auto parts. They acquired Altrom and access to a good supply of VW and Audi parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the fuel being pulled by the pump and ejected out the return line (it should any time the pump is cranked)? If not, then it would indicated that the vane pump is not working properly. If it is flowing through the inlet and outlet when cranked, but not getting to the high pressure lines, then the most likely cause would be an error in assembling the control collar or lever assembly that indexes into it. Either way it most likely means that the pump needs to be pulled apart to be fixed.
jarad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Is the fuel being pulled by the pump and ejected out the return line (it should any time the pump is cranked)? If not, then it would indicated that the vane pump is not working properly. If it is flowing through the inlet and outlet when cranked, but not getting to the high pressure lines, then the most likely cause would be an error in assembling the control collar or lever assembly that indexes into it. Either way it most likely means that the pump needs to be pulled apart to be fixed.

that's what i thought.... without all of the technical terms Embarassed i did get fuel into the pump and out of the return line upon cranking. just nothing going to the high side
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try pulling the metal lines off and then cranking just to see if any of the delivery valves spit at all. You can also remove the plunger and spring from the stop solenoid in order to completely eliminate it as a possibility.
jarad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried both of those, and still got absolutely nothing out of the the pump on the high side....not a drip
skifree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to wake up your Vanagon, send your pump to Giles Gallie at www.performancediesel.ca he will custom tailer it to your application. The dynamic timing mod he does really makes for great drivability.My vanagon feel as powerful as my tdi wagons. Quarter thottle @ 60 mph,with 800 egt on the flats.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: