Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheating TDI...Headgasket blown
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Overheating TDI...Headgasket blown Reply with quote

Ok folks...I've had alittle overheating problem.
The coolant system was building alot of pressure when cold so i just pulled the head.
Heres what i've found....
The headgasket was blown between the 3rd and 4th cylinder.
The head is warped .009 mm.
And the water pump is good.
Notice some slight scoring on the cylinder walls.
Heres some pictures i took.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is a 1 hole gasket correct? (meaning the thinnest)

So the head is off. What should i be looking for now?
This is the same van and engine from this thread.
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=22666.0

My main guess was that a failed waterpump is what caused this to begin with but now i'm back to square one. The cooling system is different on this van as it has an extra radiator installed in place of a spare tire. I'm thinking an maybe there was an air pocket that found its way back to the engine. Which caused the overheating..which caused the headgasket failure.
Another piece of info is that the coolant bottle threads are messed up meaning the coolant couldnt build pressure.
While i got this one out should i go ahead and replace the plastic impeller'd water pump with a metal one?
80qtdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what an ordeal, if I were to guess about the head gasket being blown, I'd guess that the pump timing being off could damage the gasket, then the combustion gasses made it overheat.

When you reassemble what head fastners are you planning on using?

Jon
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80qtdi wrote:
Wow what an ordeal, if I were to guess about the head gasket being blown, I'd guess that the pump timing being off could damage the gasket, then the combustion gasses made it overheat.

When you reassemble what head fastners are you planning on using?

Jon

Thats an interesting thought...
I'm in the newb stage as far as diesels go. So would you care to explain how pump timing could damage the gasket?
b/c i think the timing was significantly advanced in an effort to reduce cold start smoke when the overheat occured.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:

b/c i think the timing was significantly advanced in an effort to reduce cold start smoke when the overheat occured.

Advanced timing will create higher peak cylinder pressures, but I've never read of that specifically causing HG failures, but it would of course depend on hohw far advanced we are talking about.

Wasn't Libby working on a device to get an actual reading (degrees BTDC) of the injection timing? Did he use it on that van?

Depending on the pump you have and the break pressures of the nozzles there its hard to say when the fuel is actually getting injected.

EDIT/// that is a one hole gasket, the thinnest.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Smokey at start up Reply with quote

Based on the first post in the link you provided, I'm thinking the leaky coolant was the culprit all along!

Were you having to add coolant?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

EDIT/// that is a one hole gasket, the thinnest.

I thought the same. But I've been told today it's a 1 and a 2 hole.
So my plan is to get the head milled. Put it back on and see where that gets me.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Smokey at start up Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Based on the first post in the link you provided, I'm thinking the leaky coolant was the culprit all along!

Were you having to add coolant?

I didn't drive it long distance so I never added coolant.

Andrew was pretty sure it was unburned diesel causing the smoke. But now it doesn't seem to be an issue.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, over advanced pump timing can result in over stressed valve gear. I've seen 2 engines go bang as a result of the timing being way over advanced and it was the followers which crack up, break into pieces, wipe out the cam, head and the swarf does the rest.

Fingers crossed it's just the head gasket and you'll be ok with a new water pump. You shouldn't need more than a stock radiator up front. I'm running a 2.5TDi with a stock radiator and petrol fan and floor (i.e. it was a 2.1 van) so it doesn't even have the added bonus of the raised TD floor.

I'd go with a 3 notch head gasket and replace the thermostat while you're in there. Also maybe look at this kit from Buschmiede.

http://www.busschmiede.de/shop/T3-WASSER-KIT-fuer-TD-80-85-Thermosch-Thermostat-80

I've just upgraded to this setup on Limey and it's brought the fan in a lot earlier... I'd only heard it twice in 4 years before now.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like you have head studs in your block. I know some guys get along fine with stretch bolts, but having put ARP's in, I would never change a head gasket without them in there again. From what I can tell though, I probably won't have to change head gaskets again because they are in there.
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need head work done, look up Frank06 on TDIClub.com. He comes highly recommended on that site and really knows his stuff. Prices are reasonable as well.
80qtdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the head studs and 3 hole gasket, make sure they are the arp2000 headstuds, as they are a lot stronger. That's what I put in mine and I'm sure I will never have a headgasket problem (knock on wood Laughing )

Jon
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest removing the auxilary radiator. The stock radiator if in decent shape is plenty adequate for cooling the engine. Also, you may want to consider bead honing the block and new rings. Rings can loose there "temper" when subjected to overheat conditions. I upgraded to a later model Jetta coolant expansion tank and rethought out the engine compartment plumbing. I have an ALH, so the plumbing is a little different.

Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
I would suggest removing the auxilary radiator. The stock radiator if in decent shape is plenty adequate for cooling the engine. Also, you may want to consider bead honing the block and new rings. Rings can loose there "temper" when subjected to overheat conditions.]

alot of food for thought here. Thanks folks..
Correction on the radiators. The only radiator for the engine is in the stock location. There are two others....one in front of the stock radiator...and one in the spare tire location that are for the turbo.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, they are plumbed independent of the engine's cooling system and probably utilize an auxilary electric pump. So disregard what I said about the radiator. regards.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Also, you may want to consider bead honing the block and new rings. Rings can loose there "temper" when subjected to overheat conditions.]

can this be done with the engine in the van?

And your correct... There is an aux pump for intercooler.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you need to be very clean. Wrap the rod journals with masking tape to keep pumous from entering the crank. A flex hone or dingle berry hone works great to give you some new cross hatch. When done, you need to wash the tar out of the cylinders and the block form underneath. I use a product called formula 44, but castrol purple or even simple green works. If you don't get it completely clean, the pumous will cause the oil pressure relief valve to stick. This is not an ASE approved way to rering an engine and the dingle berry hone will not straighten worn cylinder walls, but I have had good luck doing this on economy overheat repairs. If the rings have lost there temper it will use oil like crazy. When you are done, you should be able to wipe a clean paper towel in a cylinder and not have any residue on the paper towel. Once you are at that point, spray some WD40 or wipe the cylinders with light film of oil. They will start to rust immediately if you are in a humid climate.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Head replacement Reply with quote

Unless I missed it, if you go back with the same head, it must be milled. if it is off 0.009 (9 thousandths) it will not hold regardless of the ARP studs.

The tolerance on the MK1 (1.6 diesels) as I remember, was 0.004. Over the years, I've had several of those milled.

Last summer I had a 1.9 TDI ALH head milled for a dude.... it was milled to the max (long story that I will not get into). Anyway, 13 months later that engine has over 20k miles and so far so good. I would not have done it to my engine........ the guy did not want to spend the money!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the head has been sent off to be milled.
I'm trying to decide if I should tear into the bottom end or not.

My game plan right now is to just reinstall the milled head and see where that gets me.
My concern is. What caused the overheat to begin with.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I looked at the engine it was in the winter time at 7,000 ft. of elevation. The engine would miss and would smoke dramatically until well warmed up. The smoke was most assuredly unburned diesel and not coolant. Although not overly rattley, the timing was overly advanced as it reduced the miss and smoke somewhat. A possibility is that the head gasket blew, causing the over-heating and in turn causing the head to warp.

Because the engine does not have the smoking issue at lower altitudes or in warmer weather would lead me to conclude that using an over-sized (3-notch) gasket would be a bad idea. The drop in compression would likely result in excessive smoke and missing even at lower elevations and in warmer weather. At this point, if it were mine, I would have the head pressure tested and milled and install it with ARP studs. I would also use the *correct* head gasket based on piston protrusion. Re-ringing would also be a good idea, but as mentioned, it is very difficult to deal with the abrasives with the crank in place. At this point, I won't even take that risk on my own vehicles. I would also reset the timing to .90 or so.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of ARP headstuds, there is a huge thread on TDIclub about them 50+ pages IIRC LOL. And a lot of guys have ended up with HG leaks with them, guys that are running less boost/fuel than guys who are running the stock stretch bolts.

ARP doesn't make a stud specifically for the TDI, but the Ford Cosworth ones are dimensionally correct, but people on tdiclub theorize that the torque rating for the studs is not enough for a TDI, some guys have gone to higher torques, but its all a bit of a guess for them at this point.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: