Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

World Cup 2010
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Octopus is right again! SPAIN!!!!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is too bizarre. Is this the 8th time he's been right out of 8 attempts?
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno for sure. thought it was 6 of 6 but either way thats crazy!

edit: you were right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bedlab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viva Pablo el Pulpo! Viva El Rojo! Viva Espana!
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus wrote:
dunno for sure. thought it was 6 of 6 but either way thats crazy!

edit: you were right!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus

He's out of legs. I wonder if the next one will be his undoing. lol
Hot Rod Michelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

¡Los españoles les ganaron la copa mundíal! ¡Viva España; campeones del mundo! El equipo mejor en el mundo. ¡Felízitaciónes España!
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partying like a rockstar! Boo hoo!

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big hoo har regarding the game officials..
Me... I think Mr Webb had to referee a very difficult game.
The Dutch decided to try and kick the Spanish all off the park, and spoil their game.
Two of them should have been sent off.

Best team won, football won.. not Karate kid and his bunch of cloggers.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I learned from the World Cup:

http://deadspin.com/5585211/10-important-lessons-learned-from-world-cup-2010

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an Englishman's point of view I more or less got what I expected; a squad of tired, jaded, overpaid, passionless "footballers" who have forgotten what it's like to play the game...for fun.

Send them back to the 1960s First Division when football stars lived next door to you and drove to training in Ford Cortinas. They played with passion, for the love of the game and all for a pittance.

What did football give them in return, early arthritis and if they were lucky a Saturday job at their old club as hospitality "meet & greet".

English football needs a dose of reality....poor performances at the World Cup should make them take stock. It should but the cynic in me knows it won't. Sad
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marv [UK]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
From an Englishman's point of view I more or less got what I expected; a squad of tired, jaded, overpaid, passionless "footballers" who have forgotten what it's like to play the game...for fun.

Send them back to the 1960s First Division when football stars lived next door to you and drove to training in Ford Cortinas. They played with passion, for the love of the game and all for a pittance.

What did football give them in return, early arthritis and if they were lucky a Saturday job at their old club as hospitality "meet & greet".

English football needs a dose of reality....poor performances at the World Cup should make them take stock. It should but the cynic in me knows it won't. Sad

Totally Agree. One of the greatest strikers the world has known (Ian Rush, but then I am Welsh and I support Liverpool so I am biased) was earning £300 a week in his heyday. It was only with the arrival of stars like John Barnes (the first black liverpool player and the first footballer in England who earned 5000 a week) that things started getting a bit silly. Even then, you still had a lot of journeyman players on salaries equivalent to a skilled tradesman. After all, thats all they are, gifted with their feet in the same way a cabinet maker is gifted with his hands. They aren't special in any way other than having more ability to control a ball than most.
The opinion of the author as expressed does not always reflect that of the author nor does he extend any apologies or assume any liability or responsibility for its content or lack thereof or for any lack of humour of the reader of any content at all, anywhere, ever. The reader agrees to all risk by reading it and is advised that any ‘issue’ is theirs alone as they chose to read it.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this isn't a stupid question: we wondered what language the referee was speaking when he was arguing with the players. In the final we figured the Dutch understood English but we assumed not all the Spanish did. Or maybe it didn't matter... Smile

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Merlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv [UK] wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Totally Agree. One of the greatest strikers the world has known (Ian Rush, but then I am Welsh and I support Liverpool so I am biased) was earning £300 a week in his heyday. It was only with the arrival of stars like John Barnes (the first black liverpool player and the first footballer in England who earned 5000 a week) that things started getting a bit silly. Even then, you still had a lot of journeyman players on salaries equivalent to a skilled tradesman. After all, thats all they are, gifted with their feet in the same way a cabinet maker is gifted with his hands. They aren't special in any way other than having more ability to control a ball than most.

I agree with all of the above points.

The difference though, between a tradesman and an international footballer, is that the footballer is a marketable resource. He - and what he endorses, where he goes, etc. - increases the value of those places and objects.

If you invited your local cabinet maker and Ronaldo to eat at your restaurant, which do you think would make more people want to eat there?

Millions of whatever is absurd though. It's a ball - not rocket science.

iowegian wrote:
People who are allowed to have signature lines annoy me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

I also like the olden days when the overwhelming number of players for the national team were actually natural citizens of that country and weren't handed passports in order to boost the country's chances. It is kind of embarrassing to see the close-ups of players during the national anthem and on some squads half the team don't even know the lyrics. Its like they are hiring mercenaries for an important battle.
frijole73b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guy think that Paul can pick my winning lotto numbers?
Smile Smile Smile

"everthing is always for sale for the right price"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frijole73b wrote:
you guy think that Paul can pick my winning lotto numbers?
Smile Smile Smile

Why not...you're behind me in the queue. Wink
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is not the real hurt to this sport. It's the playing style that has every player rolling on the ground at every "clip" of the heel.

If the players stayed on their feet they would be through with the ball half the time and we would see more scoring chances.

I'm sick to death of the drama after every tackle~if soccer ever wants the USA to except it as football, stop rolling on the ground like it's part of your game and bring back some form of respect to the game.

International level should set the standard. It's a disgrace.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
Money is not the real hurt to this sport. It's the playing style that has every player rolling on the ground at every "clip" of the heel.

If the players stayed on their feet they would be through with the ball half the time and we would see more scoring chances.

I'm sick to death of the drama after every tackle~if soccer ever wants the USA to except it as football, stop rolling on the ground like it's part of your game and bring back some form of respect to the game.

International level should set the standard. It's a disgrace.

I don't set British football apart from this play-actiing, rolling on the ground, as it's crept into our game as well over the last 15 years.

It's long been prevalent in "Latin Football" and with the influx of foreign players into the English Premiership it was inevitable that it would become a feature of our game too.

This might sound like a xenophobic rant, that British football wasn't like that and that it's down to the bloody foreigners...but it's true.

English football was renowned for tough but fair play the world over. There are older fans like myself that would like a return to the days when you needed a doctor's certificate before a referee would give you a penalty or a free-kick. Today the modern footballer is out to con the referee, fair play is for suckers...brush my toe and I'll clutch my knee, give me an awkward glance and I'll roll on the ground.

Give me a whistle and a couple of cards and I'll give the modern player some old style football justice. Twisted Evil
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a real shame, I love the sport, played most of my life. I hate anything to do with embelishing an injury. If your injured OK get of the pitch. I can't believe the embarrasment that the acting must bring to these player families.

It really is a pitiful thing to watch...I ALMOST can't get past it, but I still watch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: