Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 super fuel/carb
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayzero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: 71 super fuel/carb Reply with quote

Hello I'm new here so I thought I would give a little run down of were I'm at
I bought a 71 super beetle.
It's in great shape though the previous owner was a bit retarded when it comes to electrical
IE: used a bolt to join most power wires together and taped others on top of it.(all fixed now)

yesterday I had the engine out of it to do some cleaning and checking for missing bolts.

after I put it all back together there's air in the fuel filter and feels starved for fuel, does that mean I need to bleed the line or do I have a clogged line? it was running really well before I took it apart which makes me doubt the clogged line.

edit:
well I was checking out the bug i noticed there is now a big dime sized hole in the carb I think there's my problem, what used to be there?
65tuxedo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually see air in the clear filters. I've been reading lately that we should remove any filter between the fuel pump and carb because it is a fire hazard. Suggested was that the filter be put ahead of the pump for safety.

Good luck
shanester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65tuxedo wrote:
You can usually see air in the clear filters. I've been reading lately that we should remove any filter between the fuel pump and carb because it is a fire hazard. Suggested was that the filter be put ahead of the pump for safety.

Good luck

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a good idea to route the choke wire under the carb also....it can short out and melt the fuel line.......

Also.. is your idle cutoff valve there? If it's missing the hole is about dime size or so.....pics of the hole may help too....good luck..
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 71 super fuel/carb Reply with quote

rayzero wrote:
edit:
well I was checking out the bug i noticed there is now a big dime sized hole in the carb I think there's my problem, what used to be there?
Is this what you are talking about (red arrow):

This is the pressure relief cover that blows out when the mixture ignites in the intake manifold (usually due to incorrect timing). If yours is missing, you will need to replace it or you will have a huge vacuum leak. Some have epoxied coins in there as a replacement... I'm not sure what the best solution is?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dozens of threads on that ^.

Seems to happen most often on these H30/31 carbs although I have seen it happen on others.

Here is just one.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221240
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 71 super fuel/carb Reply with quote

rayzero wrote:

There used to be a plug there. I had this happen once about 20 years ago, and jammed a rubber stopper from Ace Hardware in there. Others on this board were smarter and took that dime, and JB Weld-ed it to seal the hole.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
soundcatcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what caused this fire damage.... But it's another reminder to take good care of your engine components. Fortunately the fire was extinguished before any real damage! I've since bought the car attached to this mess and the Malibu looks very different now!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: