Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb Identification.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreaterMook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Carb Identification. Reply with quote

I am always kinda in the dark talking about carbs on these cars. I have a Solex H30/31PICT that I got off of a 1300sp and am running on my 1500sp which I have never heard of, I always hear about 34PICT and what not, but I don't understand what the number means. Is there a chart that can explain the differences between all the VW carbs and what the numbers mean. are they flow ratings for CFM or what??? and what carbs are better used on what applications.
I'm just trying to expand my knowledge on these cars
thanks for all the info in advance!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The H30/31PICT is an all-purpose aftermarket carb, that combines elements from the 30PICT-3 and the later 31PICT-3 (non-USA 1300DP) and 34PICT-3 carbs.

Here's a long discussion I wrote a few years ago about the various stock carburetors and the H30:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

Also, the number for the carb name is not flow, it's just the size of the carb - 28,30,31 or 34mm.

The PICT is a Solex abbreviation. Try reading this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321962&

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number indicates the size of the throttle bore. The letters indicate the version.
28PICT started with the '61 40hp and went to '65.
30PICT's were started in '66 1300, and were used in modified (smog) form on 1500 SP's up until at least '70 that I know of.
34PICT came on '71- 1600 DP engines which have a bigger intake to match.
H30/31PICT is the Brazilian replacement carb for all 30PICT's.
BTW HotVW's March '05 issue had an outline VW carbs, Type 1, 2, and 3.
OMG this is not as good an explanation as Andy's link! He must've wrote that as I was researching the numbers. There isn't much to add to that post!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy has written some great threads ( a few of which he linked ) and has posted a ton of helpful info on this and many other subjects. Personally, I learned a lot of details from his charts and posts starting years back that I was not aware of and it has helped me tremendously in the rebuilding of these carbs matching things up specific for the customer base I deal with.

I am in Houston area and can help you out if you get into a situation where the carb(s) you have just aren't working out for you.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD0AFQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a 1600 dp with a Pict 30/31. I have a progressive Holley and intake but the little carb works so well I hate to mess with it. Do yall think this carb is too small for the 1600 dp? My car will run 85mph plus with it. Good information here.
Dan

http://www.danandteri.blogspot.com
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not too small of a carb for that engine. I run a 30PICT-1 on my 1600DP in my baja and it does fine. Personally, I wouldn't even consider that progressive.
-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
Andy has written some great threads ( a few of which he linked ) and has posted a ton of helpful info on this and many other subjects. Personally, I learned a lot of details from his charts and posts starting years back that I was not aware of and it has helped me tremendously in the rebuilding of these carbs matching things up specific for the customer base I deal with.

I am in Houston area and can help you out if you get into a situation where the carb(s) you have just aren't working out for you.

GreaterMook, Take him up on this offer, he's a great guy and knows his stuff about carburetors, he built mine and I couldn't be happier!

How's that for nutswingin'? Laughing
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: