Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Shades Project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belladonna30c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Window Shades Project Reply with quote

Someone out there has probably already done this, and I think there is a company who will make these custom for you. However this is a SIMPLE DIY project.

Mr. Belladonna30C and I are a bit heat sensitive, so on our last camping trip during an unexpected heat wave with no shade on our van, I dreamed up some side-window shades for the van.

Since I'm not interested in window tinting which I know is an alternate solution, and since I am not interested in the attractive, but expensive, sun shades offered through GoWesty: http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4179&category_id=&category_parent_id= I came up with this:

Materials used:
1. Three packages of foil-covered bubble-wrap-type sun shades (get the cheapest and largest versions from your local DISCOUNT store)
2. blue painter's tape
3. duct tape
4. three packages of extra strong magnets
5. scissors
6. old roll of extra-wide Christmas wrapping paper to make a pattern for each window, and
7. a fat Sharpie marker

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A few pointers:
    1. I use a standard shade for the windshield. No cutting needed.
    2. The shade made for the hatch window can be held in place by the curtain rail. No magnets needed for this shade.
    3. If you place the pattern you create carefully on the window shade, you can retain a couple of the factory finished edges.
    4. Finish the cut edges with duct tape.
    5. Also, if the window shades come with a velcro strap, retain that as well in an uncut edge, so that you can easily store your covers.
    6. I only made one set of side window shades to use on the South side of the van. That's all you really need!
    7. When making the hatch window pattern, I needed to tape up my paper on the outside. ...the curtains get in the way, and I wasn't about to take them down.
    8. For the side windows, tape your pattern paper on the inside for best results.
    9. use duct tape to make tabs to fold over and attach the magnets to shades.
    10. Three magnet tabs on tops. One on each side. 2-3 on the bottoms.
    11. Oh yeah, using a bit of scrap material, I made a shade for the pop-top window. Mine just sort of fits in place over the screen and behind the plastic knob housing, but you could incorporate some velcro for a sure stay. (Incidentally, this shade got the hottest of them all in the summer sun)
    12. If you own a brown Vanagon, it will look like a baked potato. Wink

"A picture is worth a 1,000 words..."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
    ddonnell
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just make little flaps out of duct tape with the magnets inside to hold the shade?

Edit: For got to say looks good btw! Have you tried putting the shades on parking in a spot for an hr then taking the shades off to see the different temps? It would be interesting to see the difference..

instagram #bajabugproject
    Belladonna30c
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddonnell wrote:
    Did you just make little flaps out of duct tape with the magnets inside to hold the shade?

Edit: For got to say looks good btw! Have you tried putting the shades on parking in a spot for an hr then taking the shades off to see the different temps? It would be interesting to see the difference..

Hi, DDonnell. Thank you.

Yes. I made the magnet flaps out of duct tape. No, I have not yet tested the temperature to see how much of a difference the shades make. When I do, i will post the results.

DAIZEE
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea and job well done.
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
    PDXWesty
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I have seen these available commercially somewhere. Either in the classifieds or from a vendor. Im just not sure where though. Anyway, curious as to how they work after you use them.
    syncrodoka
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only heard of people using that stuff in the cold, but it work to reflect heat out also.
    http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=J12747
    Saguache
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! I'm doing the same thing for the same reason. I noticed that you're using old wrapping paper to make your templates. Guess what I'm going to do?
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
    buildyourown
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did these for my truck and plan in doing them for my van. They are also really nice if you are parked/camped in a place with street lights. They block out ALL the light, unlike the curtains or tint.

I like you magnet trick. I might shy away from duct tape though. It tends to leach adhesive. Sewing a loop out of cloth would work well. I edged my previous version with cloth and a sewing machine and it held up well.
    View user's profile Send private message Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
    IdahoDoug
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did this on my LandCruiser a couple months ago. My daughter and I drove to pick up our first Vanagon and she wanted to sleep in the Cruiser enroute. What I did was pick up a roll at Home Depot - the larger of their two rolls had JUST enough to do the entire LandCruiser including the windshield with fitted pieces. With all windows covered you can sleep as noted during the day or in lighted areas at night such as truck stops/ rest areas. Using a generic on the windshield let in way too much light so put fitted on all windows.

Anyhow, I used small suction cups also at Home Depot in their little bits and pieces drawers and in the same drawers little retaining pins (look like bobby pins but larger opening). I slit the film (has a tough inner layer), jammed the backing knob on the suction cup through, then used a retaining pin/clip to ensure it stays. To put them on the window, just jam them on and it's cooler for sleeping and nice and dark. Write which window it fits with the sharpie so you can quickly match the shade to where it belongs after a long drive...

I roll mine up together and hold the nearly 12" diameter roll together with a bungie cord. Will be doing the same to the Vanagon once it's rolling.

DougM
    Sir Sam
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bubble aluminum foil stuff is awesome for keeping radiation in or out. Used it around in my hot tub to help insulate it, made a noticable difference in the bill.

That stuff is great and I've used it before in my jeep windows. Its a great thing to put up behind the window thats partially covered by the rear cabinet.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
    kamzcab86
    Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed a great idea! I did the same thing with my black (inside and out) Jetta, but I bought a roll of the stuff at Home Depot and was able to simply press it into the window frames.

For the van, I bought a regular shade for the windshield, but wanted something more decorative, compact and light-blocking for the other windows. I made covers for all of them using a thermal, blackout material on the glass side:

They're all attached with hidden, sewn-in magnets.

I was in the van the other day when it was 107° outside; in the van it was 121° (van was not in the shade). Without the covers I'm sure it would've been quite a bit hotter. As is said in Phoenix though, anything above 100° is all the same: hot! Laughing

What really needs to be done is to add insulation to that fiberglass roof! Confused
    2016 Golf GTI S
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
    SpudlyHotPotato
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamzcab86 - I'm in Phoenix too, and I've been thinking about how to insulate the fiberglass roof. I wonder if insulation works when applied to the inside, or if it only will work to reflect the heat out if it's on the outside.

Maybe roll out a piece of the reflective sunshade material from Home Depot and attach velcro strips to it, and maybe some velcro strips on the fiberglass roof? Even on the outside ... I feel like I've heard of this before. I'm definitely interested in seeing how that would work. Just velcro it onto the top of the roof once you get where you're going.

Belladonna30c: I was wondering what stores you find the super strong magnets from? I know rare earth magnets work too but so far I've only found them online.

And YES, you're right about the brown vans looking like a baked potato. Sitting inside one in a Phoenix driveway also feels like you're inside a baked potato. Hence my name SpudlyHotPotato.

"Those things are over kill and I want a set" - Jedi

"All my work explores the human desire or obsession for utopias, and the structure of all my works is the search for utopias lost and rediscovered." - Marguerite Young

www.bewilderknits.com
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
    DAIZEE
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about making one a little longer and a little wider and putting gromets on (6) and then light lanyards with S's to hook onto bottom or any place else you care to. I'd advise against Velcro due to any use of adhesive in that kind of heat. p.s. I've seen plastic S's also.
    View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
    Ahwahnee
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was once in a site next to another VW Camper with a proclivity for the windscreen shades...

Claimed it was quite effective (against the cold as this was early Spring). As I recall she had purchased the Bug new and was in it full-time. A hardy soul.
    Belladonna30c
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpudlyHotPotato wrote:
    Kamzcab86 - I'm in Phoenix too, and I've been thinking about how to insulate the fiberglass roof. I wonder if insulation works when applied to the inside, or if it only will work to reflect the heat out if it's on the outside.

Maybe roll out a piece of the reflective sunshade material from Home Depot and attach velcro strips to it, and maybe some velcro strips on the fiberglass roof? Even on the outside ... I feel like I've heard of this before. I'm definitely interested in seeing how that would work. Just velcro it onto the top of the roof once you get where you're going.

Belladonna30c: I was wondering what stores you find the super strong magnets from? I know rare earth magnets work too but so far I've only found them online.

And YES, you're right about the brown vans looking like a baked potato. Sitting inside one in a Phoenix driveway also feels like you're inside a baked potato. Hence my name SpudlyHotPotato.

Hi Spudly: Just the potato van I had in mind! Smile tee hee What a fun picture. I found the extra strong magnets at my local fabric/crafts store (JoAnn's)...about $3 for a pack of 6. I'm not sure how that price compares to other sources

DAIZEE
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bug is hilarious Exclamation
    IdahoDoug
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on magnets vs suction cups. First, having a few dozen powerful magnets randomly around your vehicle in today's media (phones, MP3 players, digital cameras, LCD screens,etc) crazed world may damage something. Second, and more importantly attaching to metal around the window loses the ability to pin the insulation directly against the window that the suction cup provides. The resulting poor seal allows light into the van and light=heat. I can also pull the insulation nice and tight - pushing the corners tight and again providing a nice tight seal against the glass. Also, the windshield piece simply wouldn't have been possible to anchor with magnets as their isn't metal available to use.

So, I don't want to put too fine a point on it but the suction cups ended up to be a very effective solution to pin the foil bubble insulation against the windows. The LandCruiser also has a sliding window like the Vanagon center window and being able to pull the insulation tight across this "step" made for a nice light proof seal in that challenging area as well. I also found I could open the slider a bit by repositioning the suction cups to pull it tight after opening a crack for ventilation.

DougM
    Belladonna30c
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
    Just a thought on magnets vs suction cups. First, having a few dozen powerful magnets randomly around your vehicle in today's media (phones, MP3 players, digital cameras, LCD screens,etc) crazed world may damage something. Second, and more importantly attaching to metal around the window loses the ability to pin the insulation directly against the window that the suction cup provides. The resulting poor seal allows light into the van and light=heat. I can also pull the insulation nice and tight - pushing the corners tight and again providing a nice tight seal against the glass. Also, the windshield piece simply wouldn't have been possible to anchor with magnets as their isn't metal available to use.

So, I don't want to put too fine a point on it but the suction cups ended up to be a very effective solution to pin the foil bubble insulation against the windows. The LandCruiser also has a sliding window like the Vanagon center window and being able to pull the insulation tight across this "step" made for a nice light proof seal in that challenging area as well. I also found I could open the slider a bit by repositioning the suction cups to pull it tight after opening a crack for ventilation.

DougM

Excellent point! Thank you for your contributions! Also, I had no idea that you could purchase bubble wrap insulation at Home Depot. I think I need to go stroll the aisles to see what else they have... Wink

VanWilder
    Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mthyer wrote:
    That's great! I'm doing the same thing for the same reason. I noticed that you're using old wrapping paper to make your templates. Guess what I'm going to do?

Wrap your van like a Christmas present?
    VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
    Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
    kamzcab86
    Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpudlyHotPotato wrote:

Great pic! Laughing

As for the insulation, I was thinking of something a bit more permanent... like, installing some sort of insulating headliner on it. But for a temporary solution, Velcro'ing insulation up there would probably work (except, as DAIZEE said, in this heat, unless the Velcro is glued on, it'll just ooze right off). I haven't given it too much thorough thought yet; the ideas really only circulate in the brain every time I wake up sweating at 7am while staring at the sun-exposed roof. Laughing

As for strong magnets, JoAnn has some, but they are nothing compared to the SuperStrong magnets sold at Ace Hardware (they may be supplied by Rare Earth 'cuz they look just like them). Although, it depends on the Ace; there are two near me -- one has a variety of sizes, while the other just has a couple. The larger True Value stores should have them as well.

That is a good point about magnets and electronics. If your van is full of little magnets like mine, just be sure to keep your electronic toys away from them to be on the safe side. And remember, the speakers in your vehicles contain magnets as well; and scissors can create a magnetic field too. Wink
    2016 Golf GTI S
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
    Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
    Page: 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: