Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2001 Reconstruction: Hebmuller 006
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: 2001 Reconstruction: Hebmuller 006 Reply with quote

In 2001 I was metal finishing a 914 M 471 Porsche when some lunatic started pounding on my door. I went to the door to find a Sheriff and an old man with a 33 count warrant for my arrest. He asked for my driver’s license, my business license, and showed me a copy of the arrest warrant.

The old man that was with him kept saying, "That’s not him!"

The police man and the old man disappeared. A couple of weeks later Don Garies appeared at my door, after recovering his "stolen Hebmuller 006". It was a terrible example of what was originally a Hebmuller.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr. Garies told me, "Don C. had done some work on the car and had filled the rotten frame rails with bondo and sprayed some paint on the car."

Next I learned that "Charles B. had taken the car from Don C., cut the front end off, removed the paint, and parked it outside during the rainy season."

I was told, "Charles B. had claimed to own my business, and had stolen 33 cars and motorcycles using my name."

After looking around my shop Mr. Garies left Hebmuller 006 with me.

We've started building an archive for this car once we found the floppy disks used in my ancient digital camera (some of which were DOA when we started trying to archive them this year).

We're having a hard time deciding which photos to use because of the amount of documentation. So we figured we'd try to show it in sections:

The original frame rails, after removal. We fabricated 1020AK .0125 heater channel bottoms with integral grade 8 nutserts. We had to do that before we could install the frame rails:

The factory vertical weld, from the license plate light to the handle hole:

More factory welds on both sides of the bead, and the weld connecting the very bottom piece in the depression:

Beginning to metal finish:

1/3 roughed in:

Right half roughed in, checking for fit:

Deck lid roughed in:

Checking fit:

Complete rear metal finished and acid washed:

Enjoyed the time guys.

Wiz,
Jason

Last edited by Thetinwizard on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
RGD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you skim cover the entire lid with lead?
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Why would we use lead? Reply with quote

We properly metal finished it and washed it with acid.

No Bondo, no lead, no bull!
Louis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elaborate on the tech please?

no lead?

nice work buddy, i need to do that on my vert lid....

cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: There are a few things in the archive Reply with quote

We've been building an archive on some of our work at http://www.thetinwizard.com

You'll see a number of past projects there. And an e-mail link for questions.
RGD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
The sad part about it, was that Don had a lot of dough but was really cheap when it came to who restored his cars, thats why the Heb turned out the way it did. Scott, the kid he had work on it was only 17 years old at the time and didnt know what he was doing or the caliber of car he was even working on and it showed. When he replaced the lower sections of the doors, he welded the door bottoms on too high. When you looked at the car from the inside, you could see daylight at the bottoms from the outsides. I dont think he braced the body either because everytime you shut the door, it would smack the pillar and paint would go flying off at the top.
For being a Heb, especially #6 he should have paid the price of a quality resto shop and got quality work the first time around.
swagen60beetle wrote:
OK Now i am going to put myself out on a limb and take every hit you want to hand out. I'm the one that built that car for Don and YES I KNOW THERE IS ALOT WRONG WITH IT. If you have a prob with that then dig Don up and tell him about it. Now as for what i know of the car and this is why the angle is in there you will remember that heb had flex problems with the very first ones and 6 had that problem badly and no matter how many time i told don that we need to cut it back open and fix it right he said to just weld angle in. So thats why. Now as for the deck lid it is the origanal one and it is made from 13 sep pieces welded together. Now the motor ran great when i last saw it and considering that the car has been through what it has been through i am the only one to finish it from it being smashed to stripped and stolen to butchered by a guy that thinks that he can do metal work. I did my best with DON standing over my shoulder every waking sec i worked on that car. anytime i tried to do something right he would bitch. so say what you want about the car and the work atleast it is still here and not cut up in small pieces like the guy that started doing the metal work did to it. He cut every stiffiner out sand then let the car just sit and sit then Don towed it to the shop with a tow bar and no support in the car. I would love to have the chance to do that car all over again but the right way. Thats why i am happy where i work now cause i can do it the right way every time. If anyone knows what that car needs it is me i know every mm of that car inside and out. and in that pic there are 2 mud flaps. As for the bumper brackets for some reason don wanted to use them cause they are the ones he said were on it when he got it. Now i don't know who has the car now but I would love to have the chance to do it again but right this time. If any of you have ever worked with someone that said it's mine it will be done my way then thats DON. If you have any questions you can text me or e-mail me at [email protected]. I just want her to be done right. I beleive that if its your car do it the way you want. Feel free to contact me. I have come along way since that car. Now please don't use that car to judge my work. back then i was just learning alot of skills and now i have the skills to do that car right. I am acually working on building my own Heb from scratch.

Scott jones

[email protected]

214 476 7397
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: There are a few things in the archive Reply with quote

Thetinwizard wrote:
We've been building an archive on some of our work at http://www.thetinwizard.com

You'll see a number of past projects there.

The pics are great, but they are quite lacking in how it's done. You go from the nasty beat up panels straight to the metal finished panel without showing how.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Scott was NOT involved in the reconstruction of 006 . He was only involved in the cosmetic restoration,long after my part was finished . As my posts will continue to show I did the allowed reconstruction after the car was recovered from theft, half missing .I will continue to show photos of the car metal finished BEFORE Scotts involvement . I did NOT "smash ,strip ,steal ,or butcher the car .My future posts will continue to SHOW the FACTS .MY PICS DON'T LIE .

I replaced the lower half of the door skins and quarter skins with pieces Don provided . The door skins were installed on the original frames and properly metal finished . It would be impossible to fit them incorrectly , because they are welded to the lower edge of the ORIGINAL door frame . I also used a fancy tool called a "measuring tape ".My future posts will CLEARLY show this .

This was "part 1 " there are MANY more pics to be posted soon showing the FACTS , not telling someones interpretation of a STORY.

Part 2 coming soon
wiz
RGD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THETINWIZARD
Quote:
The original frame rails, after removal. We fabricated 1020AK .0125 heater channel bottoms with integral grade 8 nutserts. We had to do that before we could install the frame rails:
I was wondering how the car ended up with angle iron stiffeners , did you install new frame rails?
Louis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that car finished or youre in the middle of it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: frame rails Reply with quote

The original frame rails had been filled with BONDO,so we removed them(as in the pics) and installed a pair of Westcoast metric rails after installing heater box bottoms .We did this in 2001 , before Scott was involved.We have heard so many different stories,we chose to post the pics to help clarify things.Our posts will show up to a point when Don picked the car up in the rain.

Wiz

ps

We did NOT install any angle iron.You will see in future pics it DID NOT SAG when it left my shop
Louis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, fill us in???

what happen and why do you need to prove something?
is anyone complaining about the work done on the 006?

where is the heb 006 now?
Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: why why why Reply with quote

15 or 20 people have asked me to post the facts about 006.After seeing what work was done here and reading the untruths about the facts, they finally talked us into starting the series of posts about 006.We have NOTHING to prove,but our customers want the facts shown.We will back our statements with pics.The facts should NOT bother anybody.

Wiz
RGD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the pictures you have shown your work is incredible ,I would love to see more!!! hard to figure out what went on with car after it left your shop with comments posted a few years after.
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for being open and sharing pictures i for one enjoy seeing the process
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Louis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see... definitly pretty freakin cool.. the panels look like they just came out of the press after the wiz touch!!

on another post seem like the heb 006 is in asia somewhere...
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: why why why Reply with quote

Thetinwizard wrote:
15 or 20 people have asked me to post the facts about 006. Wiz

What facts? You come up with some blurry, ten year old pics.
So what? Looks just like some cheap promotion for your shop to me.

This is some crappy welding that was still like this after it was in your shop.

Actually the car is into a clean resto and will be well done as far as I saw.

Thetinwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT FACTS

#1 This car is a RECONSTRUCTION and can NEVER be "restored" due to the FACT#2

#2 The car is MOSTLY comprised of replacement parts , NOT AUTHENTIC ORIGINAL patrs that were ORIGINALLY installed at the factory in 1949 .

#3 WE were ONLY allowed to do what Don authorized .

#4 We were NOT allowed to transport the car to my other shop so we could use the deep throat water cooled spot welder .

#5 There were MANY holes in the flanges throughout the car, drilled by "Mr. Charles B."that DON was going to fill .

#6 We were ONLY allowed to go as far as we did .

#7 Anything DON did not remember authorizing , he DID NOT pay for .

#8 We were ONLY authorized to do frame rails and body skin .

#9 As is clearly printed , We did RECONSTRUCTION work , Don and Scotty did the " cosmetic restoration work ".

#10 My shop needs NO promotion . We have been backlogged since the July 1989 opening .

#11 HERE in the USA we have entities such as the ACLU and TRIAL LAWYERS who absolutely LOVE to destroy people who DO NOT DO as the customer asks for and authorizes .
We are not stupid enough to go that far .

#12 We are very sorry your friend (the current owner ) bought a car that is NOT restorable .He will be forced to settle for a RECONSTRUCTION that is comprised of parts from everything but a HEBMULLER .A wiser purchase should have been considered .

By the way the pics we have posted were on floppy's from 9 years ago

Wiz
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what ever.
I have nothing to with all that anyway.
Call it as you like but as long as the result looks like that it can´t be wrong.

ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thetinwizard wrote:
WHAT FACTS

#1 This car is a RECONSTRUCTION and can NEVER be "restored" due to the FACT#2

#2 The car is MOSTLY comprised of replacement parts , NOT AUTHENTIC ORIGINAL patrs that were ORIGINALLY installed at the factory in 1949 .

#3 WE were ONLY allowed to do what Don authorized .

#4 We were NOT allowed to transport the car to my other shop so we could use the deep throat water cooled spot welder .

#5 There were MANY holes in the flanges throughout the car, drilled by "Mr. Charles B."that DON was going to fill .

#6 We were ONLY allowed to go as far as we did .

#7 Anything DON did not remember authorizing , he DID NOT pay for .

#8 We were ONLY authorized to do frame rails and body skin .

#9 As is clearly printed , We did RECONSTRUCTION work , Don and Scotty did the " cosmetic restoration work ".

#10 My shop needs NO promotion . We have been backlogged since the July 1989 opening .

#11 HERE in the USA we have entities such as the ACLU and TRIAL LAWYERS who absolutely LOVE to destroy people who DO NOT DO as the customer asks for and authorizes .
We are not stupid enough to go that far .

#12 We are very sorry your friend (the current owner ) bought a car that is NOT restorable .He will be forced to settle for a RECONSTRUCTION that is comprised of parts from everything but a HEBMULLER .A wiser purchase should have been considered .

By the way the pics we have posted were on floppy's from 9 years ago

Wiz

Why don't you just say why you are posting like you are defending yourself in a court of law Rolling Eyes Are you trying to devalue the car before its' release Laughing Does he owe you money? Laughing

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: