Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stealth Camping around Lake Tahoe!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Stealth Camping around Lake Tahoe!!! Reply with quote

Hello:

My wife and I are looking for a superb stealth spot far away from the masses somewhere, anywhere near Lake Tahoe! This could be the last trip before little Soleil joins us for the rest of our natural lives. Anyone got recommendations... what we look for is: camping near water features (i.e. lakes, rivers and/or waterfalls), privacy... that means no established campgrounds... dirt roads a plus... and great views... I appreciate everyone's help!

ASWAH

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close to Tahoe?

I've enjoyed the Plumas area to the north in yrs past.. The largest lake being Gold Lake.. And the Sierra Buttes.. An incredible hike to a fire lookout tower (though, if your wife is expecting, it may be a bit much) with 360d views.

Far fewer visitors than the Tahoe Basin..

Quote:
Situated in the Sierra Nevada, just south of the Cascade Range, the Plumas is versatile in its land features, uncrowded, and enhanced by a pleasant climate. Outdoor enthusiasts are attracted year round to its many streams and lakes, beautiful deep canyons, rich mountain valleys, meadows, and lofty peaks. Come and enjoy your national forests!

Lots of low-key out of the way spots to camp/explore.
Search google's aerials for an idea.

Tahoe is crazy thru Sept 1.. then quiets down a bit until ski season.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo I will be watching this forum, since I've never been to Lake Tahoe, I want to go, and Aswah has wicked good taste in campsites!

"Those things are over kill and I want a set" - Jedi

"All my work explores the human desire or obsession for utopias, and the structure of all my works is the search for utopias lost and rediscovered." - Marguerite Young

www.bewilderknits.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: no, it doesn't have to be Tahoe Reply with quote

we don't care exactly where... just away from crowds... thanks also!

1989 Westy
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they have GREAT eats tooo! Worth tracking them down!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: phoenix Reply with quote

Hey I was just in Phoenix two weeks ago... damn was it HOT... I think 98 degrees was the LOW! My inlaws are moving down there, well Prescott... So Lisa and I will be making the trek at least once a year... during the winter!!!

1989 Westy
rotorimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in phoenix and have really enjoyed all the camping around here (fall spring months) When you make the trip plan on a little extra time for some camping here too!!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize you don't want a "campground", but Nevada Beach Campround is very nice. It is primitive, no showers, but a couple of flush toilets. Some elec hookups. It is right on the beach. There is a day use picnic parking lot if you just want to go there for the day. The rules say no dogs on the beach, but right next to the campground is a public access beach and dogs can be off leash. We parked in the day use lot and took the dog for a swim. It was off season, so the campground was empty.
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stealth Camping around Lake Tahoe!!! Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
Hello:

My wife and I are looking for a superb stealth spot far away from the masses somewhere, anywhere near Lake Tahoe! This could be the last trip before little Soleil joins us for the rest of our natural lives. Anyone got recommendations... what we look for is: camping near water features (i.e. lakes, rivers and/or waterfalls), privacy... that means no established campgrounds... dirt roads a plus... and great views... I appreciate everyone's help!

ASWAH

"Away from the masses" and "anywhere near Lake Tahoe" are incompatible and contradictory ideas.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: rephrase Reply with quote

let me rephrase... does anyone know any kick ass spots up in the mountains within 100 miles of Lake Tahoe... I am looking for new spots to camp in the mountains...

1989 Westy
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: rephrase Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
let me rephrase... does anyone know any kick ass spots up in the mountains within 100 miles of Lake Tahoe... I am looking for new spots to camp in the mountains...

That opens up even more possibilities.

The HWYs that feed Tahoe are the most heavily traveled in the CA Sierras. HWY 80 and 50 are mobbed in August (you have not mentioned when you are going?)
Carson Pass, HWY 88 is OK, though.

HWY 4, Ebbots pass is less traveled.. and there are lots of great spots only a few miles of the HWY (a winding 2 lane road).. and if you feel adventurous there are 2WD and 4WD back roads that criss cross over to the next pass south.. which is:

HWY 108, Sonora pass is traveled a little more up to Pinecrest lake, but then lightens out and is comparable to Ebbots Pass for great spots just off the HWY (also a 2 lane winding road with pass el. ~9600ft)

More county roads (paved and not so paved) criss corss to the next pass south, which is

HWY 120, Tioga Pass and feeds Yosemite.. heavily traveled to the Valley lightens up in the higher elevations. It is a hair beyond 100 miles.. depending on the point from which you measure. Wink

And thats just the west side.. perhap it is time to narrow the search back down?
Laughing

ALL of the Sierras, of course, are best visited after school is in and before/after hunting season.

One could spend a lifetime traveling all the backroads that meander thru this part of the Sierra.
We are visiting the Bennet Juniper on a side trip later this week.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aswah.. have you been to this site?

A good starting point for sorting thru the region...

http://www.sierranevadageotourism.org/map.php

danfromsyr wrote:
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: blame it on wine Reply with quote

ok, I am at work at the winery trying to figure it all out... the dates are tentatively August 30th till whenever my boss tells me I have to come home

1989 Westy
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your due date?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: due date Reply with quote

december 10th...

1989 Westy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the upcoming addition. Just remember where children get their energy...... they suck it out of their parents! Laughing But it is all good. Life will be more full soon. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Burnside Lake, it's a nice spot with usually just a couple locals there. Forest service land, so free camping anywhere. Easy to get to and not too far from south lake.

http://tinyurl.com/22pdx3t
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't discount the eastern side of the mountains. Mammoth, Gardnerville, Genoa, Carson City, Virginia City, Washoe Valley etc. You're at lower altitude which can be good or bad temperature-wise depending upon when you're there. You're not "in the trees" but the views of the Sierras from the east are spectacular:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots of things to do. Hiking, hot springs, fishing, etc.

And, if you want to get up into the trees, it's less than an hour away.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnon Lake is ideal for bus camping. Very few people, but flush toilets and running water.
Not exactly "stealth" ($20 a night) but far away from crowds and easy to get to.

It is where the Fall Finnon Fest, a VW bus and Vanagon event, is held.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ridiculously hot in Phoenix right now. If I can get my van back from the shop in time, I'm going back to Cali for a few days. I'm having them redo the hoses and charge the A/C with RedTek, and window tinting. The only way to survive the summers here is to hide from them. And to head North, so your family has the right idea with their new location.

What's good about here though is camping up North all the way into October! Come in October and go camping up in Lockett Meadow Smile

We go there every year to see the fall leaves, and it was last October that we went and saw our first Westy with a top popped. The person's Westy was burgundy with a pop top , playing frisbee on the meadow. That started our whole new obsession.

"Those things are over kill and I want a set" - Jedi

"All my work explores the human desire or obsession for utopias, and the structure of all my works is the search for utopias lost and rediscovered." - Marguerite Young

www.bewilderknits.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: