Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard top mounting questions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Hard top mounting questions Reply with quote

Hey all.
I just got an aftermarket hard top (it doesnt have the ribs on the top). Its missing the mounting hardware, I had it ratchet strapped on for the 50mile drive home. How were the factory/after market tops attatched to the cars? Any one have any good pictures, I tried to search and couldnt find anything.
Thanks
Andy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airborne Ranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I am local (Lake Tapps) and would be more than willing to let you see mine- although I have the bikini top on it now.. but I'll try to explain as best I can- the front is easy - just use the locking buckle clamps on your windshield- my hardtop has the side brackets (often missing)that mount on the column between the front and rear doors- the rear sides have a bolt that goes through on each side that mount to the quarterpanel and the rear has two (well at least mine has two) brackets that help secure the top. I never heard of an aftermarket hardtop... got any pics?
-Tim
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airborne Ranger wrote:
,,, I never heard of an aftermarket hardtop.,,,,
We had one, the company was based in No CA. I think in Roseville?? I keep thinking Jet top. I understand they are no longer in business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiber jet if i remember. you have to cut all the loops and uses the factory holes in teh rear of the car.

i HATE aftermarket Fiberglass Tops.. We had to re weld all the loops and the main two hinges for the top frame.. GRRRRR...

*Looking for any Dealer Items from
MIKE GRADY VOLKSWAGEN in South Carolina!!!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of fighting mine new/old Fiber jet on. Didn't have to cut the hoops, though it was an aggravating experience with no directions and such a lousy fit. The Fiberjet people must have popped it out of the mold before the resin had fully set and permanently distorted it as a result. Had to drill holes for the two pivot pins which were hard to locate with any accuracy and will need a shim between the windshield frame and the top to get the height right in the front.

Will take some pics when I am done.
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have such a weird after market top, it looks just like a VWOA but it mounts through the pivot holes but it doesn't bolt in around the back, it fits over the loops so no cutting needed and instead of metal the ribs are wood.

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

181freak wrote:
fiber jet if i remember. you have to cut all the loops and uses the factory holes in teh rear of the car.,,, GRRRRR...
Yes, fiber jet was it. I did not have any problems with the loops,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tie mine with stainless tie wire in the front. at 4 points because it tends to bow up in the middle. i screwed some short screws into the fiberjet wooden header just above the visor pivot points in the middle and above the top frame catch hooks on the inside upper windshield, then double wrapped and twisted the ss wire around it and tightened accordingly
I have also had
I hate to admit it but at one point i used two tyraps. Smile
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: