Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importance/Function of rear side vents
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Importance/Function of rear side vents Reply with quote

So on my 1990 obviously the passenger side rear side vent is for the engine air intake, and it appears the drivers side lets hot air out and/or cool air in. I'm thinking of a project that would use the little cubby on the passenger side, under the lid, for storage.

What would the adverse affects of blocking flow there be? I'm talking completely.

-Rob
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interested in hearing this as I have always thought they were just vestigial parts left over from the air-cooled days.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the A/C evaporator drip tray empties into that area on the right rear corner, so blocking it may promote sloshing sounds and/or rust.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not say anything is obvious about those air vents...

I noticed they did a great job of exhausting hot air when I overheated last year...otherwise, all bets are off for their functionality.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I sat down and ate like a dozen wings and a few beers to try to cool myself down after this escapade. Sooooooo cannot wait to ditch that waterboxer.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
I believe the A/C evaporator drip tray empties into that area on the right rear corner, so blocking it may promote sloshing sounds and/or rust.

On mine the A/C evap drains into both sides... including the one that VW had blocked off for the air intake. I suspect it did promote rust... partially because of the water pooling and partially from it leaching through the seams and loosening the seam sealer on the bottom. A couple weeks ago I bought some vinyl tubing at Home Depot and extended both my drip tubes to the outside... on my baffled side I drilled a hole in an area that I had repaired the rust and on the non-baffled side I ran the tube into the engine compartment so it drips out the bottom.

If you want to use that space, you could conceivably build a box that leaves a slot at the top, front, or back, to allow passage of air through the vent.

pd
13thstreetgti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Importance/Function of rear side vents Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
So on my 1990 obviously the passenger side rear side vent is for the engine air intake, and it appears the drivers side lets hot air out and/or cool air in. I'm thinking of a project that would use the little cubby on the passenger side, under the lid, for storage.

What would the adverse affects of blocking flow there be? I'm talking completely.

-Rob

I am not sure what the effects of blocking flow to this area would be, but I will absolutely agree that the vents let heat out.

There have been a couple times I've walked past the vents after the van has been running for a while and have felt a clearly noticeable amount of heat radiating from the vents.
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 10cent oil cooler sits at the bottom of the pass. vent.
cools the oil nicely.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread with a question: are the rear vents supposed to suck air in or let the hot air out?

Reason I ask, I was think of installing a fan to direct the hot air up and out, but that doesn't make sense if the vents are sucking it in.
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a bit of discussion on this in the past but I don't think there is a clear consensus.

I believe that while you're underway, the side vents can scoop cool air in and vent out the bottom of the engine compartment. Once you're stopped, the vent allows hot air to vent up and that allows cool air to be drawn in from underneath.

Hood scoops and cowl induction cowls on muscle cars work in the same way, so long as they aren't sealed for ram air, they scoop cool air in when moving and allows hot air out while stopped.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really believe that the scoops I have do bring in more air into the engine compartment.
I can watch my temp gauge lower once I start to drive and stay at a level under the LED. I have
seen some scoops available on a European Ebay site, just wish there were choices avaiable
for use here in North America.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
The Raven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The synchro and later 2.1 i think have an air intake that run right up into the passenger vent. I pulled the cardboard baffle and installed this intake on my 1.9. I figured any restriction hit is regained in clean cool air.
alain riaud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a turbo diesel. The air intake is on the driver side vent.
I put a wesbasto water heater beside the battery on the pasenger side.
It fits perfect.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my particular problem.

This is an inline-4, and the air filter can completely blocks the driver side air vent. At the same time, the exhaust headers run out the driver side, so there's a lot of heat generated--enough that I've blown two OME shocks on the driver side (never anywhere else).

So I was thinking of removing the big can air filter, replacing it with a K&N, and putting an updraft fan in there.

But this doesn't make sense if it's supposed to be downdraft while driving, which is what I imagined it is.

A bit OT, but anyone have experience with engine compartment cooling fans?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio wrote:

This is an inline-4, and the air filter can completely blocks the driver side air vent. At the same time, the exhaust headers run out the driver side, so there's a lot of heat generated--enough that I've blown two OME shocks on the driver side (never anywhere else).

So I was thinking of removing the big can air filter, replacing it with a K&N, and putting an updraft fan in there.

But this doesn't make sense if it's supposed to be downdraft while driving, which is what I imagined it is.

You might do a search on that topic. I've seen pix of a Vanagon with 2 ventilation fans neatly installed into the rear apron.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, when I search I find a topic I myself started two years ago...guess I better get up off my rear and do something if it's all that important!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what or why your so hot, or I'm so not..
but the 1.8 I4 in my van handled the Florida 98* temps towing a 2nd van for many many miles w/o running or even really feeling unnecessaryily hot. heck the front coolnat fan doesn't really run that often..
I can see the coolant temp drop when the T-stat opens wide open when you are working it hard as the rush of cool coolant comes in.. (but that's limited till it's all equally hot)

my worse problem is I have a simple and small dune buggy type airfilter inside the engine compartment so far from a cold air intake it's not funny.. I keep meaning to update. (when i get a roun-to'it)

Californio wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good to see if your van is on fire

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with mine it's a combination of things. No vent on the drivers side, no heat shield over the muffler, and no clearance between the top of the alternator and the deck lid. The deck lid gets so hot you can't touch it, and it melted a noticeable space in the mattress cloth--that hot. Since then, I've put styrofoam insulation on top of the lid, but the heat still escapes into the living area. So I'd like some way to keep it cool under there.

Also, I have the spare tire, gas can, and ladder combination on the back, so it's hard to just pop open the rear door.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: