Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head choices
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Head choices Reply with quote

I am looking to get some new heads for my 2276.
the ones I have now are Bug Pack Street pro's 40x35.
I am wanting some true ported heads like Tims stage 2.
I would like to know who to call and talk to who really know heads, not some sales person. It doesn't have to be Tims, it could be someone else, just someone who can look at my specs and say "this is what I have run".
It's just a Daily driver so I'd want it to run as cool as possible.
Am I asking for too much? I just don't know enough about what heads to run.
Silicon bronze sleeves
Scat 1.25:1
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
9.2:1
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Head choices Reply with quote

damicotile wrote:
I am wanting some true ported heads like Tims stage 2.
It's just a Daily driver so I'd want it to run as cool as possible.

I believe that Steve Tims stage 2 heads are based on 043 castings. These would be great for a daily driver as they have the full cooling fins. They also should fit well with your build combo.

Whats wrong with the heads you have now? Just want more power?

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guido- My guess (trying to read between the lines on the Bugpack website; they don't actually tell you very much about the heads) is that your heads would benefit a lot from some port work. I'd bet there's 20 hp waiting to be unleashed. If you can afford to have the car down for a while have someone like the Tims, Jeff Denham, Clyde Berg or ? do some work to yours. If you're going to buy new then any of these people could also take care of you. Hope everything is going well.

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (don't forget, I am Canadian, eh!). Al
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guido,
This should get you started.

http://www.cal-look.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=10477.0

The Bugpack 40x35 heads are a decent set and you would get good port velocity delivering a good amount of torque from it if you have it matchported, blended, and exhaust opened up a little. For your set up it would run fine coupled with the 120 cam. If your looking to spend a bit more money, Steve Tims stage 2's are really the best bang for the buck ive seen anywhere-with free match porting if you provide the manifolds. Darren's L6 heads Ive heard are really nice as well. You need to call these guys and speak with them for a while. On my 2276 im running a K8 cam 9.3 cr, 48 ida's and 44x37 wedgies. To say the least, the motor is very gutsy. I get over 23 mpg ( amazingly) on my set up.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go with Clyde Berg. So far it's the only pair of heads I purchased, that spec'd out to my specs prior to the order. And yes, I bought ported heads from CB Performance and the Tims Stage 2. The Clyde Berg heads, didn't require extra work, manifolds were ported to the top of the manifold, and customer service was excellent. As with any head porter, ask alot of questions, preferably via email, so you have it in writing prior to making an order.
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Denham's an awesome dude:
http://4inbore.com/

Darren (DRD) was beyond awesome to me a few years back when i was putting my engine together, a couple of people have had problems lately, but I'd give him a shot:
http://www.drdracingheads.com/

Of course Timm's got a great rep too, and Darren Krewalchuk (Kroc) as well...haven't heard much about him lately on the forums, but that doesn't mean anything good or bad.

Good luck!
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. J. Sims http://www.lowbugget.com/headpricing_street_heads.html (AJ used to work for Berg, learned his head porting there if I recall)

Brother's VW http://brothersvwmachineshop.com/heads.htm
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
damicotile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all the input. I'm gonna call Steve and talk to him. I like the free match porting. I just want to get bigger heads if it will work with my combo.
My last motor was a 1776 with these heads I have now on this 2276.
This motor needs to breath a little better, plus during the initial break in it swallowed a small washer and screwed up the piston and head. I got a new piston but not a new head. I had Brothers go thru them but it still throws lash caps. I just want to start fresh.

Jon, I am still reading that post you linked me too. It's a long one!
I used to live in Kailua. I miss it.
Silicon bronze sleeves
Scat 1.25:1
CB H-Beams
Straight cuts
42x37 Steve Tims
44 IDF's
9.2:1
A-1 Sidewinder coated

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: good combo Reply with quote

As i recall, Steve Tims is getting about 155 horse out of the same combo, but with 42 27.5 heads. Just have steve replace the seats and valves and do a street port. You will save alot of money. Just buff out the nicks etc.

If you are throwing lash caps, your valves are always out of adjustment, your geometry is wrong or the cam is wearing at the lifter. Did you look at the cam lobes when you pulled the head?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: