Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ghia window seals - are they created equal ?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmaydawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: ghia window seals - are they created equal ? Reply with quote

Looking for a front windshield seal that is similar to my rear. I've got both WCM & KGP seals, and while the KGP seals seems the better of the two its still not as wide as the one on the rear which I removed from another ghia of mine. The wide one is 1 3/8" and covers the re-spray thats happened sometime in this ghia's life. If I stick with what I have then I'll have a nice ring around the front windshield. Also going with the Cal look. So if you know of any vendors that sell this "wider seal" shoot me an email. Many thanks in advance to the VW nation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1st65ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must contact Mike at House of Ghia as he has the molded window seals that make for a great install. I had zero problems with mine which included the stock moulding which I also purchased from Mike in very good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would bite the bullet and shell out the bucks for the OEM made in Germany seals that are being offered right here on TheSamba. I don’t think a lot of people realize that this one individual (Viande) has taken it upon himself to contact the OEM and have these made.

I have seen way too many aftermarket rubber seals rot in just a few short years. If you spend a little extra, you will not have to redo the installation again for 30 years or so - if ever. I am planning to buy one even though I don’t really need it right now, but my Ghia has "cal look" rubber that the PO installed - and I prefer stock. I may even buy a couple, as you never know how long these will be offered. From what I understand, a lot of folks will not buy these original OEM parts and buy aftermarket crap seals that look fine initially but soon rot just to save a few dollars. This is not to say that all aftermarket rubber is bad, but it is kind of a gamble. My taillight seals, license plate light housing seals and front turn signal seals all started rotting out after about six years but the OG seals they replaced were in better shape after 20 + years. Plus they never looked as sharp as the originals.

The PO was under the impression that a certain aftermarket company (a Metric store on the West Coast Wink) had the best rubber on the market. They USED to have a great reputation. I see that you want the Cal-look, so I would go with H.O.G. I believe that is where mine came and it’s still in great shape after ten + years.

Anyway, I will get off my soapbox. For those that want the real deal, check out Viande's ad:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=885497
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: