Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

radiator fan
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marleyjoeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: radiator fan Reply with quote

I have an issue with my fan not coming on...Checked all fuses and relays, ran power direct to fan from batt and it came on...Jumper wired the plug in thermo switch and heard a relay click but no fan...only in one position, other made no clicking or fan...turn on a/c and no fan...finally overheat no fan, any ideas? I know the fan runs because of direct power...no fuse or relay issues...any ideas? checked ground wires, all seems good...also checked power at plug in thermo switch...12 v from outside to outside, from outside (ground) to middle...HELP?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read how to diagnose this guy-
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_553_669/fan_resistor.html
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the ground to the fan is on the ground tree thing above the fuses there are like 10 grounds there but if you all ready checked them look elsewhere. Mine did the same thing I had to clean the grounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy enough to replace this ground with a new one, then you'll be sure. I used a self-drilling sheet metal screw and a piece of wire about 6" long. Same with headlights but that is another thread. Point is that you can't trust those multiple grounding points for sh_t.
larrytrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also ran a new ground wire which solved the problem. I Tested by running a wire from the battery negative side to the motor ground. Sure enough the ground wire was dead. I had first tested by wiring the motor directly to the battery to make sure it worked.
JUST SOLD HER, WESTYLESS!
Good by cruel world!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: