Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need 'quiet' muffler for Subaru EJ25 engine
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Need 'quiet' muffler for Subaru EJ25 engine Reply with quote

I need a new muffler for my Subaru EJ25 powerplant. I'd like one that is quiet without too much power loss. Stainless steel would be awesome. Any recommendations?

Thanks. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone here recommended the new (I think) Flowmaster Hushpower II. It's stainless to boot. I want a new muffler too because my van sounds like a rice rocket. I haven't heard from anyone who has installed one yet though.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus wrote:
Someone here recommended the new (I think) Flowmaster Hushpower II. It's stainless to boot. I want a new muffler too because my van sounds like a rice rocket. I haven't heard from anyone who has installed one yet though.

If this is it, it is WAY too loud.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/searchfmm/search...=&sc4=

I'm not looking for a rich 50's sound. Laughing

The Western Syncro build
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with this Smallcar muffler?

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29813

The Western Syncro build
Beygon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the one Kennedy uses or the one Leon uses, it's a little bigger than the one Kennedy sells. I have the one Leon puts on and it is much quieter than a stock VW.
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must not be the one. I am looking for the quietest muffler possible. I don't need my van to sound like a high performance vehicle.

I currently use the aluminized muffler Tom Shiels sells. It's a nice muffler, but it's too loud for me. After my 2000 mile road trip my ears are still ringing.
Vunderbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to stay away from the Small Car muffler and header. I have now had the cracks in my Small Car header welded several times and my welder told me he's never seen thinner wall stainless! My stainless Small Car muffler also failed in less than one year. I've switched to a stock muffler and found it to be tremendously more quiet than the Small Car muffler as well.
1980 Westfalia
1973 Baywindow
1970 Baywindow Riviera Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Porsche muffler in my 2.2 syncro van (installed by the PO) and I would certainly not call it quiet, seems like good power, although I realy have nothing to compare it to...
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vunderbus wrote:
My advice is to stay away from the Small Car muffler and header. I have now had the cracks in my Small Car header welded several times and my welder told me he's never seen thinner wall stainless! My stainless Small Car muffler also failed in less than one year. I've switched to a stock muffler and found it to be tremendously more quiet than the Small Car muffler as well.

small car sucks, i try to stay away from them. couple of bad experiences with this company. i don't have any experience with the headers or mufflers with SM but with couple of other parts that i ordered.

a. first i ordered skid plate extensions. the person who took the order said i would get it in three to four days. well it took almost two weeks. when i called, the same guy said he went on vacation so he couldn't ship it out. i was like dude you could've asked your co-worker to ship it out or let me know you would ship them out when you came back from vacation. if he told me from the beginning that it would take two weeks then i would've been okay with that. worst of all, he started giving me attitude. WTF. Twisted Evil

b. Second i ordered their big brake kit , no instructions what so ever, i had to ask and research all the little details on my own. ( the dust cover has to be cut back about half inch and check the holes on the spacers to make sure they line up. How long would that have taken to include those simple instructions. ) then the spacer that came with the kit, the holes didn't line up and i wasted 45 Plus minutes trying to make that work. i had to get my dremel out to make the holes line up. their quality control sucks, the spacer hole would've taken less then 2 seconds to check.

so maybe others had better luck with SM but personally i think they suck.

never had issues like these with Go westy or Van cafe.

Last edited by whynotvw on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Magnaflow manufacture one that would fit your Van ?
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hush II on my 2.5 suby. Its quieter than the smallcar. The key to the hush is to have about 18 inch of pipe after the muffler, then bend down at the end. At idle its super quiet, but over 4500 rpms it does have that suby scream.

The 911 muffler is a great way to go.

jcl
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Vunderbus wrote:

small car sucks, i try to stay away from them.

I would not agree that they "suck", this is a false statement and a hard one.

i have installed over 25 headers and only one had a crack (as far as i know).

Mine is 3 yo and 30k miles. It's Chinese made of course and you get what you pay for, we do our own lately and they cost 200$ more, and they are not even in SS (Aluminox). A US/Canada made SS headers would have a retail price of 700-800$. Are you ready to pay that?

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911 muffler is best sound I have found thus far.
JoeVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question, but has anybody tried stuffing a stock Subaru muffler under their van? That's as quiet as your likely to get, but I don't know what they look like or if they would even fit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the sound of most Subarus I hear on the road....not likely.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Vunderbus wrote:

small car sucks, i try to stay away from them.

I agree with Ben.. this comment "sucks". If you're going to trash a company, you could at least provide some specifics as to why you feel that way. I've had a few problems with SC workmanship, but overall I was very pleased with the fit & finish of my adapter plate, flywheel, mounts, and other odds and ends. Brian and Mao have also been very responsive and helpful with both pre-purchase questions and installation questions. That's better than I can say about a lot of better staffed companies.

I've got the SC headers and muffler... it's a little rumbly for my taste, but I don't find it too horrible. Quiet it's not. I'm concerned after reading about all the cracking and fitment problems that I may have trouble down the road, but so far so good (I've only been driving my conversion since July). To me the value of a stainless exhaust system is that it should last the lifetime (or nearly so) of the van... otherwise why not just go with steel and replace it every few years? I'm hoping mine stays together, but I don't think I'd buy another header system from them without a written lifetime replacement warranty... if thier exhaust system is really "the last you'll ever need to buy" (or whatever they say on their site) then they've got nothing to lose by guaranteeing it for life.

One complaint I had about their exhaust system is the hardware they shipped with it. I torqued everything up, then decided I wanted to try rotating the cat. When I started removing bolts I found one that acted like it was cross threaded. I ended up twisting it to the point of breaking to get it off, and I was really puzzled at how I managed to cross thread it... I haven't cross threaded or stripped threads since probably high school or shortly thereafter... that's 30 years. I chalked it up to "user error" until I had another one behave the same way. At this point I hadn't even run the van/heat cycled the bolts... I have NEVER had that problem with nuts & bolts before, and I still don't know what the deal is but I'm sure it's crappy hardware and not "user error."

I only share this as a "buyer beware"... SC is not a bad company and they have some good products but for me the jury is still out on their stainless headers and hardware, which casts a bad light on the muffler too.

Paul
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 2.1 WBX "Quiet Flow" Walker. It is quiet. Especially at/around idle. It gets louder under load (makes sense) but possibly louder than a Suby setup since my exhaust system is likely shorter over all.

It started cracking at inlet though. BUT.... likely due to the way I originally hung it (Has since changed) and because there is no bracing at inlet. (original WBX muffler has this??). This lack of bracing may have exacerbated things. I welded it cracks. No more cracking.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: Bob Stevens went with a "Dodge V8" muffler on his 3.0 Subie conversion. I haven't heard it yet, but as I recall he liked the sound. I can't recall if he still had the SC muffler on when I last heard the van, but at that point it sounded loud to me. It was probably not louder than mine... I hadn't fired mine up yet... but that was the pre-Dodge muffler sound. Maybe if he sees this he can give a review, or you could ask on the SubaruVanagon Yahoo group 'cause he's pretty active over there.

Paul
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:

One complaint I had about their exhaust system is the hardware they shipped with it. I torqued everything up, then decided I wanted to try rotating the cat. When I started removing bolts I found one that acted like it was cross threaded. I ended up twisting it to the point of breaking to get it off, and I was really puzzled at how I managed to cross thread it... I haven't cross threaded or stripped threads since probably high school or shortly thereafter... that's 30 years. I chalked it up to "user error" until I had another one behave the same way. At this point I hadn't even run the van/heat cycled the bolts... I have NEVER had that problem with nuts & bolts before, and I still don't know what the deal is but I'm sure it's crappy hardware and not "user error."

What you experienced here is call galling. It is a condition created when the thin chromium oxide coating is literally sheared off of the surface of the stainless while under pressure/friction from the male and female threads rubbing together. This same pressure/friction forces the sheared off chromium oxide bits into the surrounding surface where it basically cold welds itself together. In an exhaust situation, the only preventative measure you can take (other than switching to standard steel fasteners) is to use high-temp anti-seize on each and every bolt/nut. This condition can also exist when combining stainless steel and mild steel fasteners such as a mild steel threaded stud with a stainless nut.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read lots of stories about cracking small car headers and poor fit.

Mine is a '97 EJ22. The header fit so perfectly that if I didn't hold it on it would fall right off. It is a single port exhaust motor. I'm sure this makes a difference. I have their stainless muffler also. Its good quality, but not as quiet as I'd like. The headers are thin material.

If it weren't for companies like Kennedy and Small Car we wouldn't be swapping subarus into our vans. don't forget that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: