Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

body chassis bolts
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
laughatgravity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: body chassis bolts Reply with quote

10mm right? what is is the pitch? I want to tap and die the bolts and nuts.

also Im pretty sure a few on my nuts on the inside broke off maybe one is the bulk head too... any helpful suggestions? this winter i plan to replace the pans, and am thinking that i could cut access holes to pull out the broken one and welding new ones on.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConchThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure of the size but TTS has the set, all 24, for a pretty decent price, including the washers. As for the amputee...maybe a magnet some how? Only idea that comes to mind Confused
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will have to check, some reason 8 x 1.25 pitch sounds familar.

the common 10 on the vehicle is 10 x 1.5 pitch I believe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some weld nuts, (they have flanges on them). Where the holes for the nuts that are bad drill them out to the diameter of weld nut, but not larger than the flange. Push the nut into the hole and weld the flange to the surrounding metal.
03 230SLK Mercedes
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tingman wrote:
Get some weld nuts, (they have flanges on them). Where the holes for the nuts that are bad drill them out to the diameter of weld nut, but not larger than the flange. Push the nut into the hole and weld the flange to the surrounding metal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

laughatgravity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

63ziggy wrote:
will have to check, some reason 8 x 1.25 pitch sounds familar.

the common 10 on the vehicle is 10 x 1.5 pitch I believe

8 x 1.25 pitch is fender bolts.

ConchThing wrote:
not sure of the size but TTS has the set, all 24, for a pretty decent price, including the washers. As for the amputee...maybe a magnet some how? Only idea that comes to mind Confused

I have a million of them, set from my car, set from donor car, 3 sets that the PO had. im going chose the best and clean the threads.

Tingman wrote:
Get some weld nuts, (they have flanges on them). Where the holes for the nuts that are bad drill them out to the diameter of weld nut, but not larger than the flange. Push the nut into the hole and
weld the flange to the surrounding metal.

Thanks didnt think of those, seen em before but never installed. do I indent the metal to accept the flange? grind down the flange at all or just let it be?

I guess the body seal could handle the unevenness
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced about 20 of these. Time consuming to say the least. I used my plasma cutter to cut the old nuts out. Then I took some 18 gauge sheet metal and cut it to the proper width and length, leaving extra to overlap my hole. I then took my fender and bolted it on one of the old nuts. Then very carefully took my patch metal and slid it in behind the fender to the correct place and used a jiffy to mark the hole. I then pulled the piece back out and drilled a hole on my mark. Next I flipped that piece over and welded my new nut in place. I then took that piece back to it's spot and slid it back in overlapping over my hole to the correct spot. Then slid the bolt in to make sure it fit. I then took my marker and marked the edges of my patch on my fender well and pulled everything out, and lap welded the piece in. I did this procedure for all of them, taking my time to make sure they fit. Once welded in, grind down the welds with a flap wheel and fill with glass.
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my nuts from Kubelman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: