Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What did you do with your Thing today"?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icekoffee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job mink. looks perfect
1958 Patina Beetle EJ25
1984 Vanagon Westfalia EJ25
1964 Lifted Mouse Grey Standard
1967 21 Window
1968 Double Bubble
1969 Westfalia
1961 Ragtop Beetle
1984 GTI
1961 Kombi
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Rehabilitated front seats Reply with quote

I spent the weekend rebuilding the front seats. Took them out, broke them down and sent everything out for sand blasting. Rebuilt the latching mechanism and reclining features. Painted them black and recovered them with new materials from The Thing Shop. It wasn't half as easy as they guy in the video made it look Very Happy.

Luckily there was no major structural damage. Slid out easy and went back in pretty easy.

Now that they are done, they look fantastic!

Sorry, forgot the camera at home so no pictures yet.

Next up: The gas heater.
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the heater, now just gotta hook up the wiring Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the 73 Thing I dug out of a backyard after sitting for 11 years run and stop.....Today was it's 1st trip out of the driveway. It drove amazingly well. Now on to all the little stuff.
laughatgravity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday... "finished" wiring, installed: door seals, stoppers, handles, rubbers, wind shield hardware, changed: oil, spark plugs, set gaps on valves, plus, ignition. Failed at attempts to start, coil has no voltage. Inventory search.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laughatgravity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughatgravity wrote:
Yesterday... "finished" wiring, installed: door seals, stoppers, handles, rubbers, wind shield hardware, changed: oil, spark plugs, set gaps on valves, plus, ignition. Failed at attempts to start, coil has no voltage. Inventory search.

forgot to plug in the coil ha, had a clog up front and broken line in the back but started it yesterday!!! stoked take that 7 years of sitting
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend went camping south of Pescadero CA. and also went to the beach. This weekend we went to Sausalito CA. near the Golden Gate Bridge. I just did my first 3,000 mile oil change on my new 2000cc Type 4 DTM motor and it runs like a champ. Just the power I needed for more family adventures. Now if I just get the time I will fab a tow hitch on it and maybe get a small trailer for more extensive California camping adventures.

| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I finally got around to pulling the gas tank on my '73, which had been going through fuel filters, and still was bucking/cutting out. Pictures didn't turn out but man that was NASTY!!! I think the screen filter was almost solid with crud, and there were some particles of rust/whatever that were probably 3/8" in size. Probably a good 1/8" of crud settled out into the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket I drained it into.
Ordered KBS gas tank kit and will hopefully be able to strip/rustproof/recoat this weekend.
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean your keeping Her? Laughing

I have my new wheels (old wheels) sprayed with self etching primer after I sandblasted them, wet sanded and ready to start applying paint when I get home. But, we had some hella big storms all last night and I may have some other task to do. (wifes car broke this morning too) Why does progress have to be so damn slow sometimes? Rolling Eyes

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-go108 wrote:
Does this mean your keeping Her? Laughing

Maybe so - the longer I've had it, the more I keep fixing all the little things, and it sure is a blast to drive! I wonder about the winter, though, but then again, it's probably not much colder than a splitty anyway!
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ConchThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday we reinstalled the spindles and sanded/painted the body washers...everything is soooo shiny (for now). Today my husband found a "gold mine" of VW parts and I booked a car hauler for next weeks trip...taking the chassis up to St. Pete so Classic Camber can remount the freshly restored and painted body on the freshly restored/sandblasted and powder coated chassis. Should finish up the suspension/steering this weekend. So frickin psyched!!! Very Happy
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started poking at this bit of rust, which I didn't think was too bad:

Turned out to be packed with expanding foam, fiberglass and bondo:

Then I started fabricating a repair section. I'll repair the inner support before installing the outer patch, of course.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
181freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drove it to work! What a nice day! Very Happy

too bad I have to work... Sad

*Looking for any Dealer Items from
MIKE GRADY VOLKSWAGEN in South Carolina!!!
laughatgravity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

body pan seal, engine seals(major pain in the butt) paint up some engine tins. partial body bolting back on, under coating.

Last edited by laughatgravity on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brought the new baby home Very Happy

laughatgravity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Brought the new baby home Very Happy

congrats!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much busy today after being the new Thing home.

First ran off to register and insure the beast. Deceided to maintain the "Historical Vehicle" status through Washington State DOL. One time registration fee of about $50 plus one time $200 "use tax". The "use tax" is is kinda of a sales tax based on the Kelly Blue Book. I declared it as condition 4 which is "restorable" and in fair condition. It's a whole lot better than that though.

Once I got the car legal it was time to chase a few electrical gremlins.

1st one was the horn (or lack of one). Easy fix, The wire had slipped of the back of the horn cover.

2nd one was the right rear running and backup light Another easy and no cost fix. Turned out to be two problems. Somehow the backup and running light wires were swapped in the 4 wire connector to the right rear taillight. In addition, the connector for the right rear running light had slipped off the fuse terminal. Slipped it back on, all is well.

3rd was the 12V power outlet and glove light. Easy fix again, blown #9 fuse. Someone had put a 8 amp fuse in there, it didn't have a chance. Replaced it with the proper 16 amp

During the electrical check and repair I discovered something. What's wrong with this picture? Hint: Anybody have a nice looking left lense and cover for sale?

After all the electric ills were cure it was time for a cleanup. Removed the seats. Vacuumed and rag washed the interior. There was a mountain of coconut fiber dust under them. Not much left in the seats anymore. Found a couple of dollars in loose change (or rather my shopvac did). Had to rip out the paper/foil heater tubes as they were trashed. In addition, I believe one was a mouse condo. Anybody have a source for the tunnel to defroster tube? I believe they are different than the left and right tunnel tubes.

Still has some former owner's wall to wall carpet to deal with. . I believe it's a rust magnent. Screwed down in some places glued in others. There was some rust lurking under the carpet but nothing fatal. The carpet will eventually be removed.

Completed the day with a quick rinse and wash and a short drive to the insurance comapany for some pictures. Got a lot of thumbs up along the way.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the gas tank sender and made some adjustments.

had not read full even though I knew the tank was pretty close. adjusted full and empty through trouble shoot process with sender outside of tank. Hope to have it fairly calibrated. will need to top tank off and see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piercedvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the bedliner this past week. Glovebox installed.. speaker panels are half in..
Moved the battery to the rear of the car. Will get photos up soon.
After the stereo is done, I'm going to attempt to hook up heater boxes, fans, etc.
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very productive weekend. Finished building my duck boards and threw them in. Made from some old redwood from Mendocino (from between Philo and Navarro)

Got my new (old) wheels painted. The two-tone was a bitch. I'll have tires mounted this week.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 88

Jump to: