Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

do you use a voltage regulator with an Alternator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajababy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: do you use a voltage regulator with an Alternator Reply with quote

last year i bought a 68 bug. the motor was shit so i bought a new one which had an Alternator already on it. now all i was woundering is if i still us the voltage regulator or would i have to bypass it in some way to use the Alternator?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a post from an older thread which shows the differences in the single post with built in regulator, the 3 prong that uses external reg and older "Motorola" alternator.

You can't use the generator style regulator you had with any of them.

If the alternator you got with the engine is internally regulated then you need to just bypass the old regulator under the rear seat.

keifernet wrote:
vicleswootclay wrote:
keifernet wrote:
AL 82 is internally regulated alternator.

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/gen_alt.htm

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/gen_alt.gif

hey im having some trouble identifying the alternator with an internal, an alternator without, and a generator. if you could help me as well. i bought an alternator with an internal regulator. i just would like to know how to identify them. i bought it new. well i just ready the label and its an AL 82 also. so i know its internal. but any physical appearances that could be spotted?

Hopefully this will help in future. There are many threads on Alternator ID scattered about. I am putting pics of all of them in this one post/ thread.

Internal regulated Bosch AL 82 or "chinese made copies" look like this.

BOSCH

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CHINESE COPY

Original Factory installed Bosch ( AL 7Cool and Motorola with 3 prongs and needs external regulator.

Bosch AL- 78

Motorola "AL -78"

Motorola AL -78 compared to "aftermarket" Motorola with white box regulator on top.

Closer look at this one...

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: